IGNORED

Man of Steel - New Trailer

Squee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because even the people who are most vocal about their hatred of certain films still very much enjoy films.

I have yet to see a film discussed on here that garners almost universal praise from the sour, bitter individuals who revel in wiping their opinionated arses with the latest blockbuster or 'event movie' long before they've seen nothing more than a few scant seconds of carefully chosen footage that in no way could be representative of the final film.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Superman comics, i just feel it's very odd to have another emo-toned superman movie that does his origin story again. I feel like ever since Spiderman 1 all studios feel like they need to spend at least 1/3rd of the movie showing you this character realizing his or her true nature but it's wholly unnecessary. A lot of people say Returns was bad because it didn't have enough action, so now this new Superman movie looks like it has a lot of action, but will that make it good? I've always felt that Superman has huge potential of being an epic science fiction film, but no studio wants to go there. It's too bad Green Lantern was so haphazard, because in my mind the Marvel and DC universes have a magic and scifi element that would be great in a fantasy or science fiction film context.

because even the people who are most vocal about their hatred of certain films still very much enjoy films.

I have yet to see a film discussed on here that garners almost universal praise from the sour, bitter individuals who revel in wiping their opinionated arses with the latest blockbuster or 'event movie' long before they've seen nothing more than a few scant seconds of carefully chosen footage that in no way could be representative of the final film.

hmm... because maybe because "blockbuster and event movies" suck really hard 99% of the time; one that is enjoyable, has cultural impact and maintains some artistic integrity comes along probably less than once a decade.

and blockbuster and event movies are only a fraction of films and what film as an artistic medium can achieve?

They keep making them because people pay to see them in droves. It's the new religious past-time. Good vs. Evil. Simple. Action packed. Happy Ending. Sacrifice. Holy Powers. They have figured out a way to tap into this demographic so effectively that they can and will continue to make more. It will never end. You will see new Superman, Iron Man, Spiderman, and Batman for the rest of your lives.

hmm... because maybe because "blockbuster and event movies" suck really hard 99% of the time; one that is enjoyable, has cultural impact and maintains some artistic integrity comes along probably less than once a decade.

and blockbuster and event movies are only a fraction of films and what film as an artistic medium can achieve?

The Matrix, Speed, Terminator 2, Saving Private Ryan, Back to the Future, Die Hard, Jurassic Park, Alien, Star Wars, Inglorious Basterds, Toy Story, V for Vendetta, Jaws, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Predator, True Lies ...

The Matrix, Speed, Terminator 2, Saving Private Ryan, Back to the Future, Die Hard, Jurassic Park, Alien, Star Wars, Inglorious Basterds, Toy Story, V for Vendetta, Jaws, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Predator, True Lies ...

LOL @ True Lies

<3 True Lies

The Matrix, Jurassic Park, Alien, Star Wars, Toy Story,

yeah.. ok maybe a *little* more than once a decade then... also... only the first two actually had blockbuster budgets.

The Matrix was friggin' badass when it first came out. The first time I watched it I didn't even understand how cool it was at first. It took me until a few nights later to realize that beyond the B-movie trappings it was a pretty fantastic film.

It's the new religious past-time. Good vs. Evil. Simple. Action packed. Happy Ending. Sacrifice. Holy Powers. They have figured out a way to tap into this demographic so effectively that they can and will continue to make more. It will never end.

Ehm... hasn't this been the case in like... a trillion years?

Are you going to let us know your opinion of the trailer or are you just going to moan as well?

Are you going to let us know your opinion of the trailer or are you just going to moan as well?

I think it looks interesting... I see way too many visual similarities to Nolan's Dark Knight franchise, which I think worked great for Batman, but wouldn't want it to be a "template" for other super hero movies. Might just be the way the trailer was cut though, so the verdict is still out on that one. I've never been a big Superman fan, so as long as it's entertaining and tells it's story well, I'll probably want to see it. I do think it's a bit tedious to be re-re-re-telling Superman's origin story again (although this one looks like it has some differences, and some very "Superman as Jesus" imagery going on, visually and thematically. Kevin Costner as Clark's stepdad is a bit of weird casting, but who knows - Martin Sheen worked way better as Uncle Ben to Peter Parker and Sally Field worked better as Aunt May in the Spiderman reboot, which I enjoyed.

I agree to an extent and I'm not really a Superman fan. I'm not cringing at the grimdark approach, but I think it clashes with his gay cape. You can't have an origin story about a boy growing up who's *different* and experiences strife because of this and then have him dressing in a gay cape. I'd find it more plausible if he started dressing as a goth, complete with black and white makeup.

This is like my SR4 cat surviving in Alien thing. Fuck Superman and his gay cape.

Plausibility in Superman. What the fuck is wrong with me?

I agree to an extent and I'm not really a Superman fan. I'm not cringing at the grimdark approach, but I think it clashes with his gay cape. You can't have an origin story about a boy growing up who's *different* and experiences strife because of this and then have him dressing in a gay cape. I'd find it more plausible if he started dressing as a goth, complete with black and white makeup.

This is like my SR4 cat surviving in Alien thing. Fuck Superman and his gay cape.

Plausibility in Superman. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Well, think of it this way - had they radically redesigned his iconic costume (lost the cape, added armour, changed the colours, etc.) people would be whinging about how they're trying to 'modernize' or 'appeal to the younger generation', etc. It's a hard task to reimagine an iconic character like Superman, bring it into the modern era, all the while trying to stay faithful to the core material.

I wonder if he'll be a reporter or will they dispense with all that alter-ego nonsense like they did with Spiderman (they made him simply a photographer for his high school yearbook rather than having some sort of faux career as a photographer for a tabloid).

From the trailer, I would assume Clark is a homeless vagrant skulking around his small hometown.

Yeah you're going to raise messageboard ire no matter what. Trying to think of another way you could do it and I can't at all.

Maybe have it as an intense film about a man trying to escape his own demons but he's addicted to drugs. When he takes drugs he hallucinates he's an invincible superhero from another planet called Superman, complete with gay cape. But as the film goes on his mind state starts deteriorating as his life leaves him and his daughter commits suicide. He is weak against kryptonite which is his dream states version of meth but can't avoid it as slowly his demons consume him and the credits roll after he falls into a permanent meth coma.

Scott: BRILLIANT.

if there was universal love for everything here, watmm would be a pretty boring place no?

I would love an entirely cosmic Superman story, shit even Jack Kirby squeezed him into the Fourth World. Imagine a Supes vs Darkseid storyline devoid of Earth. I'm sure they'll fuck this up in Justice League however.

if there was universal love for everything here, watmm would be a pretty boring place no?

I'm not asking for "universal love" by any means... but why does seemingly everyone need to be so sour and bitter about everything when it comes to movies? Is that the "in" thing today, to hate on anything remotely popular?

For contrast, compare what I said to the comments preceding it about the trailer - I didn't shower it with praise, but I also didn't dismiss it as it had no hope of being worthwhile.

We need a Ridley Scott emoticon

Archived