IGNORED

i just had my first musical discovery to truely blow my mind

pcock

jesus fucking christ this music is ridiculous. while it is the most difficult piano music ive ever heard, its not that to have really blown me away, the beauty of the harmony contained within it is actually astounding, ive never heard anything quite like it.

apparently a complete and utter hermit, and extremely weird guy, he actually banned anyone from playing his music for 40 years because he heard somebody play one of his 100 trancendental etudes in concert and was so enraged at the performance.

im actually sitting in a daze on youtube having my mind ripped to shreds by this guy. half of his music hasnt even been recorded yet because its so astronomically difficult theres only a few people alive to play it.

yeah, apparently he played a number of times in his 30's, and it went down extremely well. its not exactly unplayable, its just that almost all of it requires a true virtuoso, and there are not exactly that many of them around. especially who dedicate themselves to learning weird obscure stuff like this. this is why marc-andre hamelin is an absolute legend.

im pottering through his hyperion discography at the moment and discovering some amazing new shit.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Hey, thanks for this messiaen. This stuff is lush. Gulistan sounds so liquid, like the notes are sliding off the page!

Dreamy :-)

Guest Intelligent dodgem music

Whoa, never heard of this guy before. I'm amazed.

Just found an interview where he says "That thing, that cupboard there is full of enormous scores. One work, that's the High Mass, requires a chorus of 500. Of course I know it will never be performed, it doesn't matter to me a strap! I was free to the world to write them so that's that! What happens to me after I'm gone, I can't tell. It doesn't matter to me two hoots! I don't give a damn!"

Wait a minute...how many tracks can a Cubase project handle? I think I've just had an idea...

Guest Intelligent dodgem music

Then someone should try and sequence those sheets. At least we could then know how a 500 piece choir music sounds like. Or bring to life those unplayable piano pieces before they get lost.

fuck sake

I love how (at 0:12) in the part of the sheet where one should just write things like "andante", or "allegro" or "lento" (italian words that serve as indications to the pianist about the speed he should play the piece) Sorabji wrote:

"Languido e dolcissimo. Il tutto in un ambiente di calore tropicale e profumato; piuttosto nostalgico" which means "Languid and very sweet. All in a tropically warm and scented environment; rather nostalgic." :trollface:

yeah scriabin writes some gay shit on his music aswell, cool though.

in his sonata 7, the white mass, there is an instruction to play a chord 'like a whip of molten lightening'

theres a few words on scriabin scores that dont actually exist aswell, im gonna guess they are just typos.

Then someone should try and sequence those sheets. At least we could then know how a 500 piece choir music sounds like. Or bring to life those unplayable piano pieces before they get lost.

fuck sake

I love how (at 0:12) in the part of the sheet where one should just write things like "andante", or "allegro" or "lento" (italian words that serve as indications to the pianist about the speed he should play the piece) Sorabji wrote:

"Languido e dolcissimo. Il tutto in un ambiente di calore tropicale e profumato; piuttosto nostalgico" which means "Languid and very sweet. All in a tropically warm and scented environment; rather nostalgic." :trollface:

If the piano-player reading the score is has an imagination to go along with his virtuousity, it makes perfect sense to just tell them what the music is trying to accomplish by being at a certain tempo (i.e. how it's supposed to make the listener feel), instead of just telling them what the tempo is.

In other words, alot of scores stipulate tempo, but not many stipulate why that tempo, which is a crucial bit of information.

For example, it would make perfect sense for the "Flight of the Bumblebee" score to stipulate "a brisk flurry, like a bumbebee, flying" instead of simply saying "prestissimo."

Archived