IGNORED

James Blake - Overgrown

Dpek

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmm James Blake. Never quite got it.

The early EPs were great and his side-project Harmonimix is still in the vein of his earlier tracks. I thought his singles were pretty novel (wilhem scream, limit to your love), but since the LP it's all variations of the same formula and it's not exactly the most exciting stuff for me personally.

Actually I like the new song :) Yes, it is James Blake's standard mix: his vocals, piano, minimalistic drums and crazy synths. But the man knows his business

I like Retrograde a lot too, but if it's the best track, or the most "busy" track, then I won't care much for the new album. I loved his first EPs and remixes, then his hair got longer and he started to sing.

James+Blake+PNG.png

James+Blake+jamesblake452.jpg

To my delight, his vocal stuff was pretty novel - the complete antithesis to where dubstep was going to the other end of the spectrum of aggro-brostep bullshit. His productions returned to the actual concept of "dub" with the use of space and experimentation in rhythm But it was played out completely on the LP, some of the tracks were just him and a piano track and that's too sparse for me. If he has more tracks akin to the CMYK EP or his Harmonimix remixes on the new album, I will be all over it. If it's just an hour of minimal instrumentation sometimes accenting his effects-heavy acappella crooning about love and shit then my interest will drop greatly.

I actually really like his vocal vocal in this tune. It's just such a shame that the synths are so fucking loud.

EDIT: That turtle neck...

I think they build perfectly, when they drop out leaving just the sparse drums at the end I got chills.

I have to agree on the turtle neck though.. .. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

Saw him perform his new stuff at Sónar Reykjavík the other week. It was all a bit lost on me as I'm not a fan, but it sounded decent enough. I'll say this though, his drummer was terrible when using mallets - mishits all over the place.

His earlier EP's were far more interesting... This still remains my favorite James Blake tune,

the Klavierwerke EP also has some good ones... Didnt really care for CMYK and never really bothered with the LP beyond an intitial listen

Like the earlier stuff best, this one is probably his best work

flol I have to stop, I'm about to hyperventilate at work

I always marvel that people who spend time producing such audio brilliance

• 3 weeks later...

Archived