IGNORED

James Blake - Overgrown

Dpek

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started out okay. But those metal clangs. Uuuhf....

Would leave them out or replace them with another percussive element? Not being dickish, just really curious.

I like them personally, though I feel he could of dropped them in and out of the mix a bit more - they kinda have that silly "moar cowbell" effect I suppose.

I really liked Retrograde, and listening to the album now I wish he had a bit more punch in him, but overall it's a solid album. Still miss the beats and tricks he did in his early days though, but a good follow-up in the same vain as his debut album.

I'm really really liking this album - getting similar vibes to his debut, which I loved. If anything, it reminds me how great his composition and pacing can be, because I haven't heard music like this since his debut album.

On the early listens at least, Digital Lion through the end seems like a string of pretty perfect tracks.

Guest Gravity

this album has really 'overgrown' on me

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot.

That Coachella performance was great.

i feel like james blake needs to beef up his production chops so that his beats have character and his synth sounds are cool and evocative but not lame and cheesy. he should also try to execute some vocal ideas that are not meandering and redundant, perhaps he could try writing a song for instance. he should definitely at least try to make good music. then maybe he might not completely suck.

Guest Mirezzi

I wanted to like this video more than I did. It had promise but comes across as a sulky emo hipster pussy who's in love with the camera. I can't deal with it. That + the new age ringwraiths dancing around him at the end just ruins an otherwise promising visual.

Archived