IGNORED

Ambient stoner track

crx091081gb

Very nice! I'm not sure about the bleepy bits near the change at the end... it needs something there, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what. I like pretty much everything else about it though, it's very atmospheric and dreamy.

Yeh they were supposed to bring you back out of the trance.

I think I'll have to leave it for now, it's driven me mental and I have to make something more danceable to balance out the ambient.

Cheers for listening, that your modular in the photo? Would like to get a modular one day, need to wait a while - mustn't peak the synth collection too early, be nothing left to lust after.

I think it's a good idea to have something serving that nudging-you-back role, but I'd try out a few more things to hear if they're any better or not. Filtered noise with a splash of reverb, a field recording of the ocean for a few seconds, a few different harsh tonal bits like that one, maybe some playing slower melodies... try a few out, listening to each one at a time in the context of the mix, and hear which works best. As it's more of a spice type sound, something you're sprinkling on the top for a bit of extra flavour, you can get away with something really quirky and unique should you so choose. It's around about the point where I go to the kitchen and sample various household objects, then drench them in so many effects afterwards that you'd never guess what they are... :) Hell, even an acidline with a delay on it might sound pretty interesting fulfilling that role in this particular mix, just for that one or two bars. It's when you start to spend a good hour or two on the thing that only happens once for a few seconds that a mix really starts to sound impressive!

Clanging noises would work particularly well. Play some knives or baking trays, sample it for single hits, play them in the DAW as a simple counter-rhythm, EQ and level them so they're subtle and in the background, not interfering with the main beat, and drench them in reverb. That's one way you could go, for instance. Just for that bit where the bleepy noodling's playing at the moment. I totally agree that something should be there, I just think you should explore a few options first about what that is. :)

Yeah, that's my Doepfer, at least most of it. Once I find a G3 case, I'll be able to use the other modules I have again too! I'd definitely recommend a modular if you're a control freak whose main requirement of a synth is versatility. I can use it exclusively on a bunch of tracks without it sounding like I'm only using one synth. It's actually kinda frugal, in a weird sort of way, to buy a new filter and run your existing oscillators and everything through that, so each time you get a new filter, it's like you now have a whole other synth in terms of its character, pretty much.

Oh, I wouldn't know about having what you want putting an end to lusting after other things... this is pretty much all the hardware I want, and last week I started demoing some Waves plug-ins... (I think this is what eventually happens after I watch a few episodes of Pensado's Place a good year or two ago. Though the main take-home message from that show is the sheer amount of effort those people put into every little aspect of the mix, all the minutiae that add up.) Anyway, not buying too much is definitely a wise idea, but I wouldn't worry about running out of things to lust after. Even if you did, that just means you have one less excuse for procrastinating, however flimsy it was to begin with. :)

Yeh originally I really wanted to use field recordings of the place the track is about (the beach at Portrush) but I couldn't be arsed get over back there. I think I'll go and get some and then polish a bit more, I just listened on speakers with a decent sub and the kick is a bit over powering too. It'll have to wait till I put the album together...

I'm also wondering if I should cut it down another minute...

It can wait for now.

I haven't touched the waves plugins in case I decide I want them. In fact I'm on a total plugin ban till I've learnt to get the most out of the ones I have, I just don't like having a lot of stuff I only know on a shallow level as opposed to some stuff that I know deeply. Definitely want a modular at some point though, probably a eurocrack. I think I have enough gear for the moment, the only thing I want is a soundcard expander so I can get more than ten inputs going at the same time, apparently Behringer are bringing out a new version of the ADA8000 later this year so I met get that or see if the existing model drops in price and snap up a bargain. That and some kind of Live trigger box would do me.....

....and....

There we go, you already know what it needs (the beach field recordings, an excellent idea), now you just need to actually do it. :) A lot of what I got out of constructive criticism and workshopping was basically learning to listen to and trust the little nagging voice in my head that says "hey, you should really try out adding this" or "that bit's not pulling its weight, try something else instead". It just helps to have that external confirmation at first. You already have good taste for what should be in your work.

Yeah I think you're right Zoe, you do kind of know when something's right and when it's not. Cheers for the confidence boost, I think sometimes you just want to know if you're on the right track.

Thing was I'd been working on it for too long, it started as a sketch that I left for two years but always wanted to come back to as I liked the lead melody, then I came back and expanded that and then left it again then came back to it a month ago on the proviso I finally squeeze the fucker out in some form.

I'm a procastinator.

Nice track btw.

• 6 months later...

Archived