IGNORED

I think I get Oversteps now.

sweepstakes

Guest Chogg

d-sho qub definitely feels like wasted potential to me. It starts off so promising and then just sort of disintegrates into noodling. I wouldn't say I don't like it though.

Ever think about how our perspectives change given context? Say if any one of these tracks had been released as a one-off, wouldn't we be jizzing all over it?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bet you guys wouldn't say that if you checked it out once on shrooms

I'll have to try that, i've listened on 2c-e though. dont get me wrong all the tracks are good, but if I had to rank them those two would be low on the list. that's a testament to how good the rest of the album is!

Oversteps is strange in that os veix3 was the immediate track I fell in love with on first play, and that it still remains my favorite off that album. Nothing really changed. Which is strange for autechre.

I'm playing it now and it sounds like the soundtrack to universes, stars and planets simultaneously dying and being born.Thats what I hear/see anyway

os veix3 --> o=0 is my favorite 1-2 punch. I think o=0 is, in some ways, the epitome of what they were trying to accomplish with oversteps. especially in light of the rob brown quote that comes from the japanese release, where he says

"This time we didn’t want to make a beat-centric album, but we wanted to challenge ourselves with using space while still retaining a rhythm. A glockenspiel is a good example, how it carries a melody but also serves the role of percussion… we tried this kind of approach, using percussion that wouldn’t harm or muddle our ideas."

Guest Chogg

o=0 is the weakest track for me, I just find it too sparse and don't like the sound palette (especially the glocks haha). To each their own

what i like about d-sho qub is that it starts relax and chill but then they drag you down the stairs to burn in a WW1 hell at the end

st epreo is a great obliterating follower

hey each their own taste, none of my friends like autechre lol

none of my friends like autechre lol

very true Mister Ooze. Ahhhh actually I know one lad but only has Amber lol, he's more AFX and BOC. I think he'd rather grate his own eyeballs into a salad than listen to Confield lol.

very true Mister Ooze. Ahhhh actually I know one lad but only has Amber lol, he's more AFX and BOC. I think he'd rather grate his own eyeballs into a salad than listen to Confield lol.

I listened to this yesterday. Still not too keen on st epreo, but everything else is pretty excellent. I love the little pseudo-guitar solos in some tracks (known(1), treale and redfall come to mind). O=0 is still a masterpiece; to me it has the same prog-IDM quality as maphive6.1. Definitely my favourite on the album and one of my favourite ae tracks overall.

I can kinda understand the thought that krylon is too noodly; I just put it down to it being late in the album and sometimes I just don't get to it. Still, it's opening itself up to me.

I also love how most of these tracks have verses, choruses and bridges, like pop music or something.

i can empathize with this. in my 30 years on this earth, almost half of which i've been listening to autechre, i've only had one acquaintance who can 'handle' listening to them, even if he doesn't outright like them. when i play AE for my DJ friends who are very much into electronic music, they say things like "it sounds completely random" or "incoherent noise".

their loss.

i also empathize with the OP that oversteps makes more sense having heard the more beat-driven version of the same ideas, exai.

"they say things like "it sounds completely random" or "incoherent noise"."

I had this classmate in 2009/2010 and he said it's just bits and pieces placed after each other.
And my bro's friend's dad [a musician of some sort] said that plyPhon was like that and didn't carry a beat...
I also had a classmate [2 years ago?] who said that plyPhon sounded like a computer crashing...

That same year I had a classmate who asked another classmate what I was listening to, and he seriously said: "some guitar music", while I was listening to known (1).

And people saying that tracks like Fermium and TAPR are constantly the same [when they listen to screamo [?] and other repetitive music...

those titles lol, i always have to look it up what song it is

check this sweet video i found while typin plyphon in youtube, holy crap i never saw this!

wow it totally fits this beast of a track

i can't help but think the perfect autechre album would be a fusion of exai & oversteps.

exai has the amazing sound design & structures but is a little lacking in the melodic department, whereas oversteps has incredible melodies up the wazoo.

if i had the time, i would make a mash-up of oversteps/exai. i think there could be some great combos there.

i can empathize with this. in my 30 years on this earth, almost half of which i've been listening to autechre, i've only had one acquaintance who can 'handle' listening to them, even if he doesn't outright like them. when i play AE for my DJ friends who are very much into electronic music, they say things like "it sounds completely random" or "incoherent noise".

their loss.

I've been listening to 'Chre for about half of my life as well. The video of Second Bad Vilbel on MTV's Amp back in 1997 was my very first encounter of them.

I don't really bother imposing Ae on other people though, because I suspect they'd react with a mixture of bewilderment and repulsiveness. In fact, I keep it a closely guarded secret IRL.

Love that vid too.

Always thought it'd be awesome if they got that guy and Alex Rutterford to do visuals for a whole album.

Chris Cunningham directed the vid for Second Bad Vilbel.

Love that vid too.

Always thought it'd be awesome if they got that guy and Alex Rutterford to do visuals for a whole album.

Sorry, meant the plyPhon vid.

Autechre have been my favourite act for 5 years, but no one else I know has even heard of them. Tried to get my brother into them, but only worked with a track here and there. So I have given up, private it is, and probably more interesting that way honestly.

Autechre have been my favourite act for 5 years, but no one else I know has even heard of them. Tried to get my brother into them, but only worked with a track here and there. So I have given up, private it is, and probably more interesting that way honestly.

100 per cent agree with the last sentence.

Guest RadarJammer

Love that vid too.

i had no idea they had an official music video. you learn something new every day

Love that vid too.

i had no idea they had an official music video. you learn something new every day

They have three official music videos if I remember correctly from the Gantz Gaf DVD.

Though I never saw the Basscadet vid on tv.

Both correct. The Basscadet vid was kind of corny IMO. It was from the early '90s after all.

Archived