IGNORED

Best BOC fakes

Alzado

Over the years, there have been almost universally horseshit fakes before the release of each album. Occasionally, however you run across some that are incredible. Dave from 2001 had a number of great fake boc tracks that were beautiful in their own right. There were a lot of people back then who wondered if he was somehow connected to BOC. He's not. Just a nice guy from Alaska.

For those of you who weren't around at the time, I give you the lovely work of Dave from 2001:

[youtubehd]K5WsZ3QB6Lc[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]y9dEplB0fsU[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]8J-lOs2-Cak[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]PmJfJolNxVs[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]EZ55nL4Qrfc[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]rcY64Meolwo[/youtubehd]

I remember a few of these but the only ones I ever fell for were Plotkin70 and Robot Analysis.

I'd also heard Plotkin70 as 'Treeline'.

I'd also add 'Royal Observer Corps Among The Norfolk Dunes' by July Skies. This band don't really do electronica except for this one rather old and lovely piece (especially on headphones).

http://www.last.fm/music/July+Skies/_/Royal+Observer+Corps+Amoungst+The+Norfolk+Dunes

It used to crop up a lot on various file-serving services (circa 2001), obviously mislabelled as BOC.

I find the whole fake stuff fascinating. Over the years, there have been some real gems that really deserved proper recognition in their own right.

Yeah Plotkin70 was being passed around as the BOC track Treeline from Closes Vol. 1. So then it became known as "mistaken for Treeline". The real name is Plotkin70.

DronusbolonusMaximus is amazning.

the beatless noodles are somewhat convincingly BoCish but as soon as he tries beats i'm afraid he's exposed as a charlatan.

bump because I picked the wrong day to post this

the wrong day/month/year!! fuck fake boc when we have the real deal.

the beatless noodles are somewhat convincingly BoCish but as soon as he tries beats i'm afraid he's exposed as a charlatan.

agreed. plotkin is the only one that is a dead ringer.

but aside from how convincing they might be, there are some pretty nice tracks there. they're full of detail.

As much as I hate relegating him to BoCalike status, Ciaran Byrne's music is undeniably informed by their aesthetic...

I can hear a Pete Standing Alone vibe in this one in particular... The ending is fucking gorgeous.

I'd be really pissed off if I were Freescha and people were passing around my stuff as fake BOC.

Freescha are an amazing band in their own right and a lot of their stuff is up there with BOC.

Does anyone know who the fake point hope was by? I read it was supposed to be a mislabeled mum track, then I literally listened to every single mum track and i couldn't find it. So if it's not mum and its not BOC I would really like to know who it is because I love it. Track time is 7:15. It's not the Peter Serafinowicz track.

great thread; think i alluded to this in a post a couple of weeks ago that new boc releases usually surface in some pretty rad fakes :)

there have been bugger all fakes for TH though, really

this release strategy wasn't really amenable to fakes. the old "make an announcement and then wait 3 months" release strategy was just begging for fakes.

Listening to the Dave from 2001 tracks above, I regret even calling them fakes. They're just great tracks with an obvious indebtedness to boc.

has there been a proper release for the dave from 2001 tracks that can be bought/downloaded somewhere?

really like robotanalysis...

No

They are truly lovely tracks, same with the Ciaran Byrne one posted.

Not a fake, but a song I once did that was inspired by BOC is here:

http://heathfinnie.com/Music_files/mcd1.mp3

It was done in about as long as it took me to record it.

I liked the bit around 1/4 into the track a lot - the auto-tube baby thing cracked me up though

As much as I hate relegating him to BoCalike status, Ciaran Byrne's music is undeniably informed by their aesthetic...

I can hear a Pete Standing Alone vibe in this one in particular... The ending is fucking gorgeous.

Wow. That's really, really nice. As you say, the ending is just awesome.

If I heard that without knowing otherwise, I'd think it was Boards for sure.

Archived