IGNORED

Obama Admin. admits to surveillance methods: Beating a Dead Horse Pt. 74

SR4

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at the very least a healthier alternative in the short term would be harder gov't regulations against healthcare practices, rather than trying to institutionalize the entire system itself.

I love the line, "Well, its been going on like this a long time." Also, I actually care a lot more about the end of the war on drugs, living wages, an end to super PACS and political lobbying than I initially care about healthcare and nsa spying. I think the healthcare issue really could be solved without having some sort of government run program.

healthcare dilemmas affect living wages, whether its the business docking pay or cutting corners in order to pay for a program, or the worker not being able to afford ANY decent healthcare with 3 part time jobs. its more systemic at this point, not exactly easy to separate one from the other.

Don't know where to start but healthcare (and education) is one of the most important things government has to be involved with. I could give an endless lecture of why that is, but do you really need to know?

I understand there are certain factors which could make people feel it is a necessity to be provided by the government, but I also believe that if the laws were properly set and regulations on the healthcare system appropriately enforced then it wouldn't be a necessity.

It becomes a problem when a prosthetic that requires something like 800 dollars to produce costs $20,000 to purchase. I think that 3D printing will be helpful to a point. I also think that further down the road with as much information and technology becoming available to us as we will have that people will start treating themselves for their ailments.

Well, personally i don't believe in a 100% provided by government healthcare system as well. The reasoning is pretty simple: there is no single best solution for everyone, so you need some flexibility where the care system learns to adapt to the people ( while at the same time having set up checks and balances to protect against misuse). And one obvious way is by using a market like currently implemented. Imo, a properly setup and run market has more potential than a single solution for all kind of approach.

You also mention the most fundamental aspects governments should be taking care of: laws and regulations. Perhaps I didn't understand you earlier on, but whenever people say "less government", they imply less laws and regulations. Seeing your second post, you probably only meant "less government-run programs". But that's something different to no government involvement. Laws and regulations simply require government run programs to make sure all involved parties act within law and regulations in one way or another.

As far as I can tell, the ACA is basically an attempt to maximize laws and regulations while at the same time minimizing involvement of government. The most important current government program being that wonderful website ( and medicare/aid obviously).

Personally, I think the criticasters who think only a single payer system will work (read: the entire system is run by the government) don't understand that you can do the same or even better with the current system, instead of worse. The most important reason worse is still an option though, is -imo- because of certain powers in politics which benefit from politics screwing up. And I mean this in the most childish way possible. "if i can't have my cookie, you should suffer!".

• 1 month later...

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/12/09/world/europe/ap-eu-nsa-surveillance-gamers.html?ref=news

LONDON — American and British intelligence has been spying on gamers across the world, media outlets reported, saying that the world's most powerful espionage agencies packed virtual universes full of undercover agents and surreptitiously monitored traffic across online fantasy games such as "World of Warcraft."

now i know what my career should be

• 1 month later...

nice, pretty impressive this story has pretty much been going a whole year virtually non-stop. Whitehouse tried to play games and get the press all focused on the 'government shutdown' and the 'obamacare' launch but it didn't stick, and this shit just keeps building.

genuine lol, but i'm sure the media was relieved to take a short break from having to report nearly daily on how Snowden continues to make the United States look like bumbling fools who are driving a bus off a cliff

the US government has also given asylum to many 'terrorists' throughout the world including several cuban plane hijackers and i think a few chechens ( i don't use the word terrorism seriously because the term has become utterly meaningless in a post 9/11 world)

maybe someday it will be revealed that Snowden had an ulterior motive behind all this (beyond just the obvious celebrity/infamy), but until then, I'm going to continue to believe the guy is pretty badass. Very articulate and non-arrogant seeming. Much easier to get behind than, say, Julian Assange.

I'm going to continue to believe the guy is pretty badass. Very articulate and non-arrogant seeming. Much easier to get behind than, say, Julian Assange.

pretty much this

also worth noting Julian Assange himself was never a whistleblower, a more apt comparison would be Chelsea Manning who at this point almost no one gives a second thought to.

the worst possible outcome was his admitting his transgender orientation....in the minds of cisgendered America the man had no chance for sympathy or remembrance from that point on.

Just came in to see what the 666th post in this thread was all about. Bit disappointed, thought it would have been some illuminati anagrams alluding to worship of some sumerian god or something.

bah, SR4 vous décevez

also worth noting Julian Assange himself was never a whistleblower, a more apt comparison would be Chelsea Manning who at this point almost no one gives a second thought to.

at the rate snowden is going (revealing how the nsa is spying on .us citizens) i wonder if people will still care about him by the time summer starts. he might need to resort to twerking or "leak" a sex tape with tatu to continue getting headlines

at the rate snowden is going (revealing how the nsa is spying on .us citizens) i wonder if people will still care about him by the time summer starts. he might need to resort to twerking or "leak" a sex tape with tatu to continue getting headlines

Are you sure?

Yesterday, I've learned Angry Birds is a" leaky" app (mis)used by national intelligence agencies to grab personal data. I don't think we'll be done with these leaks by the time it is summer. Certainly not considering the pace these leaks are published.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/nsa-gchq-smartphone-app-angry-birds-personal-data

My life is leaking through my mobile device... :/

in that interview

new interview with snowden, 30 minutes

http://vimeo.com/85155619

is this where he reveals that the nsa is spying on people through angry birds and google maps?

First comment there:

The documents showed that they agency in 2009 (imagine how much larger it would be in 2014) analyzed one month of data and it took an array of 120 computers. And their analysis uncovered over eight million 'actors' (people with suspicious behavior). Now to be clear, there certainly are not eight million people involved in activities that are a threat to anybody. In fact the entire imdb database contains 3.3 million names so there aren't eight million actors if the only thing you are looking for is ACTORS! They are doing nothing but generating massive quantities of false positives.

We are clearly dealing with an agency with a hoarding obsession who have outraced their ability to do anything at all usefull with the hoarded information.

Maybe some tough love is needed with the NSA. I suggest that we give them one 1tb hard disk every other month and say "Everything you store for the next two months must fit on this disk." Now, that is still a lot of information, but it is most likely less than what they are capturing and hoarding every day and would require them to prioritize their information to what they can actually do something effective with.

Please tell me he's not serious with the "actors" comment. :facepalm:

Note that the leaks in the angry birds app (which I have not played for a while now) is on the android platform. I has iPhone5.

Usually I have my location services turned off, so I don't know how they would get anything there.

Plus the means by which they collect evidence through angry birds is so ridiculous it beggars belief. They analyze the targeted ads and cross-reference it against some list they already have compiled. So ummmm do terrorists input their interests as "plenty of phosphorous and nitrate"? and are they getting served ads for flying lessons?

edit: also just in case you're not sure, the actor referred to is the one defined by the sociological actor-network theory, not a film actor on the imdb database.

Archived