IGNORED

A thread on Henry Rollins!?

goDel

Guest RadarJammer

he makes me uncomfortable

You poor thing. Want to talk about it?

the dude just has that making at youth children cry thing about him. he's always talking in that stern dad tone

great story. i like the guy. i saw him at amoeba once and he had a great collection of music- almost had an enthusiasm like tarantino talking about film when he talked about music. he also seems to know a lot of people.

i was watching an episode of unsolved mysteries, and henry rollins pops up looking for this guy, then another time he pops up during the la riots documentary claiming to have been one of the few white guys who went looting grocery stores when shit hit the fan

the guy is living life hard

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I like rollins too. he writes an interesting columns for La weekly free paper. best thing in there. i think it just came out as a book infact.

he also has a radio show I've been meaning to listen to:

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/hr

he appears to have amazing taste

i was rollins band fan back when. was never into black flag though. i know i know.

been meaning to check out his books - can anyone recommend anything of his?

that hottub photo is wild!

I know he hates all the fan shit,

i don't think that is true. he loves meeting fans after shows

Still though. At that point of his career he could have easily gone the mermaid man route. Or man horse with a unicorn bone up his head.

*hawt*

yeah, he seems like kind of strange guy, with his perpetually lost/wounded look, behind the tough-guy exterior. On the one hand, he seems like a guy with a lot of insecurities who managed to overcome them through sheer will, which I can respect. He seems to be self-taught and self-made, which is great.

On the other hand, he comes across as douchey, a meat-head who has fashioned himself as a snob, as just another part of his routine to intimidate and seem better than other people.

I remember seeing this vid years ago, he makes such a fool of himself (this was way early in his career, admittedly):

That was a great video. He's great when he's not all angry and Henry Rollins-y (my wife always says "he looks like he needs a hug all the time." I like Henry Rollins and I think I don't love him because he tries little too hard often and it seems to fail sometimes - like that infamous rave rant. But he's also the guy who did a USO tour during the Iraq War in 2003 and joked "Your commander would never lie to you. That's the vice president's job." He's a pretty cool dude, just not perfect but who is really. (Besides Jennifer Lawrence of course.)

Lol

It's good improv, though. From both sides actually.

That kid is fucking awesome, he reminds me of a friend of mine that is perpetually sarcastic and dry but always has this stupid smirk on his face and is oddly positive.

As far as punk icons I always liked Jello Biafra's spoken word (and interviews) a lot more. They're very different punk legends obviously, I can't say he's better than Rollins because he's not, but I find him a lot more interesting in general. He's a perpetually cynical but super intelligent and likable guy (he could a watmmer I guess) and his voice is just hilarious.

^Jools Holland is such a twat here at the end, dafuq

Archived