IGNORED

Anyone down for a Sega save bending community compilation?

gmanyo

(here for info) I missed the first one because I wasn't a member at the time. I say if we do it again we should include tracks where people use the save bending as sample source then actually make their own stuff.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeeeah, would happily contribute to this! I like the idea of using sega savebends as source material (instead of only un-altered like last time)... might just write a tune with nothing but savebends as source material anyway, sounds like a good time :braindance:

How does save bending work? You just rename the file and load it while running another game?

I've just listened to the original album and there was some pretty brilliant stuff on it. I think the Mega Drive going crazy on its own is part of the concept, though. I reckon sampling Mega Drive glitches can give some really good results, but maybe there could be a situation where either you end up trying to replicate that spare style (and if you're going to do that you might just skip the sampling), or just making a regular track like any other (and then the source of the samples would be irrelevant.)

By the way, on an unrelated note, I've been using VOPM as a source of FM patches for my DX21, but I'm having a hard time figuring the sound that plays at 0:32 out. There is a PSG square wave under it and it doesn't match any of the instruments VOPM shows, so I'm guessing there is more than one FM patch at the same time, but I've tried various combinations to no avail. I believe it must be a case of me being stupid, though, because it can't be difficult.

How does save bending work? You just rename the file and load it while running another game?

Not even that - you just hit Save State whilst playing one game and give it any name, load the second game and then hit Load State and pick that file you just saved! (well that's how you do it in Gens+ anyway)

Guest RadarJammer

it would be nice if someone could modify the open source code of one of these emulators to be able to send each of the FM instruments to its own channel and stream them to disc as wav. that would open up worlds of fun

Guest RadarJammer

it would be nice if someone could modify the open source code of one of these emulators to be able to send each of the FM instruments to its own channel and stream them to disc as wav. that would open up worlds of fun

actually you can install the YMAMP plugin for winamp to mute channels on the .GYM log files that Gen Plus can make. works great

Mcbpete is the one who was i charge of getting submissions and putting it all together. 1 compilation of this concept is good enough for me. Although I'm fond it, I think it turned out great if i were to do another SEGA themed thing for recordlabelrecords thats a compilation I'd make it something like rules: FM synths only or something like that. No samples even for the drums, but just more of people composing their own tracks in any style.

I'm thinking of doing something like this for physical modeling synthesis, with an open call for tracks.

Now I've got a bit of free time I just thought I'd register my interest in any of the compilation suggestions above. They all sound kind of cool, and I'm feeling kind of smarty-pants because I've got enough physical modelling stuff that I could make a decent fist of contributing to that.

actually you can install the YMAMP plugin for winamp to mute channels on the .GYM log files that Gen Plus can make. works great

Oh, that's great!

By the way, how do OPM files work? I know they're just text files containing the patch data, but how do you extract them from a GYM file?

So what's the consensus? Just another free for all, using it as sampling base, or generating your own music using emu synths? I say either the second or a combination of the last two.

I think FM-only synthesis

i'd be totally down for something like this, and put it up on the RLR site if desired. There are so many different FM synth sounds and types out there by now that I'm sure with all of watmms artists we could come up with some really cool stuff. I'd say that explicitly it should be any style goes, ambient, techno, weirdness, pop, whatever as long as it's exclusively using fm synthesis

ive been keeping my eye on mutable instruments, but obviously not close enough. Where can i find info about that?

This thing looked pretty awesome - http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal

i've been looking for a very small hardware based midi event processor like this that doesn't require a computer

I'd like 4 operator FM only, sine wave only.

Isn't FM by nature just sine waves and the different waveforms are just recreated/emulated by adding additional harmonics. I could be talking complete balls though.

Isn't FM by nature just sine waves and the different waveforms are just recreated/emulated by adding additional harmonics. I could be talking complete balls though.

For the most part yes, because sine waves are easier to deal with (using other waveforms is like when you have 4 operators in a chain and you turn the feedback up), but there are a couple of FM synths where you can use other waveforms, mostly the DX11 and the rack version, and of course soft synths.

That's sort of what any sound is really. FM synths can have non-sine operators.

So are we doing any FM synths? We need to make it a bit more restricted than that. Are we saying no VST/other effects stuff? Like only the synth parts of the synths? That would be kind of cool. Also I think there should be a definition as to what FM synths are allowed.

Guest RadarJammer

I think a free for all FM comp would be great. FM synthesis only

sega save bending is fun but it takes so much time and effort that I would rather pursue that on my own

plain dry FM tones can get old quick (especially while producing) so for everyone's sanity i suggest allowing effects

Archived