IGNORED

Anyone down for a Sega save bending community compilation?

gmanyo

fx would be fine, i was just thinking it would be an open enough concept that people could make any style. Id love to hear some more soundtracky or ambient FM synthesis stuff. I can cover many different styles. Mitch Murder style 80s electro music, sega genesis music, ADLIB old school soundcard general midi, arcade game FM synthesis from the 80s, synth pop, noise, autechre glitchery, whatever. I think its an interesting limitation that can lead to some really cool music in the right hands.

i don't think there should be any limitation to which FM synths hardware or software. The only thing i will say is that if its an analog synth that has FM capability, there should be at all times some kind of FM modulation being heard on said synth. This could even be something like an FM modded filter which even really basic synths can do.

but gmanyo, you should put together whatever you want. I didn't intend to derail the thread, i just was part of putting together the original one but most of it was you and mcbpete's work.

if we're serious about doing this FM thing though, someone should help me make a 'composers faq' type of thing for it with a list of readily available FM synthesizers. I have a lot more knowledge about hardware stuff than software, i only know of FM7/8, zebra, VOPM and Aalto (which isn't specifically fm but can do it very well)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but gmanyo, you should put together whatever you want. I didn't intend to derail the thread, i just was part of putting together the original one but most of it was you and mcbpete's work.

An FM synth comp would be cool but someone should start a new thread. I wanted to see if people were interested in Genesis bending or something similar, but if nobody is then that's cool.

An FM synth comp would be cool but someone should start a new thread. I wanted to see if people were interested in Genesis bending or something similar, but if nobody is then that's cool.

I'm interested. I'e already started working on some shit.

Both ideas sound great. I wrote a track last year using some of the genesis bending samples I created, layered with big drums and guitars. I've only ever played it live so it'd be a fresh submission to a compilation.

I'm totally up for doing some FM synthpop too. Depeche Mode style. Maybe even solely using FM7 presets, or if I had the time, putting something together in Reaktor. Actually, again, I've got something I wrote many years ago that would be appropriate. I'd just need to change the drum sounds (currently sampled from 'Some Like It Hot' by Power Station, zole).

I feel like we should only do one at once though. I want to do the genesis bending comp because it's easy enough. If you don't want to really work at it you can just layer a few things then add a beat. It's restricted enough that people will have direction and easy enough that people will still do it.

If we do an FM synth comp I think we should make it fairly restricted. It actually makes more shit get done.

Let's do some weird bi-comp, like with one side being sega save bending and the other FM songs, but have something linking them. Like all the FM tracks are remakes of the sega save bending tracks or something.

Cool, I'm down for both comps so I'll have to get started on the megadrive bending one (ha! check me being all british...) seeing as it's first up.

edit - does anyone remember what the very first thread was called so I can try and track it down for some more of the background on how to make it work, my initial attempt to get it to work last week wasn't all that successful (or I could just try harder).

also isn't this fairly easy to do with a real Sega Genesis/Megadrive by pulling out a cartridge and shoving a new one in real fast mid game? Or is there a more complex technique to do this with the actual device. I seem to remember someone making an album doing it with a real sega genesis, not modded or anything

also isn't this fairly easy to do with a real Sega Genesis/Megadrive by pulling out a cartridge and shoving a new one in real fast mid game? Or is there a more complex technique to do this with the actual device. I seem to remember someone making an album doing it with a real sega genesis, not modded or anything

I remember trying to do a level select trick on Sonic 3 which involved getting the level select screen on Sonic 2, pulling the cart out and putting Sonic 3 in and most of the time I'd get weird glitches, yeah.

edit - does anyone remember what the very first thread was called so I can try and track it down for some more of the background on how to make it work, my initial attempt to get it to work last week wasn't all that successful (or I could just try harder).

It's dis - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/54059-save-state-bending/

And yes, sometimes it takes time to get a good combination - I went hours at one point trying to get James Pond 3 to do something but EAs dang coding gubbins just wasn't having it.

Also remember that sound test screens are the perfect way to get good results for this.

So what are the rules this time? Same as before, or are we just using it as a sample base? Maybe we should just allow both or something.

Guest RadarJammer

What about saying each song must be made 100% out of sega samples to generate sounds, but effects are fair game.

+1

I'm sure people would err on the side of save state bending madness. You'd just allow for more possibilities if the music calls for it.

You'd also get more variety, which is probably a good thing in a save state bending comp.

hey uh.

do i need a specific emulator for windows OS for that savebending business? i've looked a bit for mac emulators the one i tried didn't really work or what or maybe i'm just being a noob.

not really into installing windows just for this....

if that's the only way, would anyone be willing to share their bended sounds?

then, and if this project will be based on, or permit, sample mangling, i'm in!

Archived