IGNORED

Legowelt - Crystal Cult 2080

manmower

XLR8R: Dutch producer Legowelt (a.k.a Danny Wolfers) has managed to keep up a frenetic pace for the past decade, and he's not showing any signs of slowing down soon, as he's just shared news of his upcoming Crystal Cult 2080 LP. Said to have been recorded mostly in The Hague, the 10-track album will reportedly expand on Legowelt's palette of already synthesizer-heavy textures by utilizing a classic '90s digital synthesizer, the Roland JV-2080, as well as a homemade germanium crystal compressorboth of which infuse the record with an enveloping warmth that ties the tracks together. Crystal Cult 2080 is apparently "coming soon" via Dutch label Creme Organization, but will be preceded by a four-track "album sampler" EP on November 4; that record's artwork and tracklist can be found below.

1. Crystal Code 2080 (Extended 12" Dub)

2. Majestic Alchemy

3. Mistral

4. Do What U Gotta Do

Out of the blue, Crème Organization just posted this:

FmtREaIl.jpg

And that's all there is for now... or well there's this old related entry from his news archive, but the track is offline now.

HQAW89O.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the follow-up full-length to this will be released on 2LP, CD and cassette. Impressive!

Cassette, for real? That's a first for a Legowelt album, isn't it.

Anyway yeah the thread was meant to be for the announced full-length album, even though the sampler isn't even out yet. If we made one for everything he releases I think the forum would be flooded. :smile:

(Speaking of which, his new 12" on L.I.E.S. seems to be in stores today.)

Well, the follow-up full-length to this will be released on 2LP, CD and cassette. Impressive!

Cassette, for real? That's a first for a Legowelt album, isn't it.

Anyway yeah the thread was meant to be for the announced full-length album, even though the sampler isn't even out yet. If we made one for everything he releases I think the forum would be flooded. :smile:

(Speaking of which, his new 12" on L.I.E.S. seems to be in stores today.)

Yup, it was posted in a release schedule by Creme.

Creme 12-67 - Myriadd - Time Will Tell EP

Creme 12-68/69 - Gavin Guthrie - s/t 2EP

Creme 12-70 - Marquis Hawkes - Make It Out Of This Hood EP

Creme 12-71 - Alex Israel - A Man of Qualities EP

Creme 12-72R - Innershades - Kowton & Tuff City Kids Remixes

Creme 12-73 - Legowelt - Crystal Cult 2080 Sampler EP

Creme 12-74 - Yør - Lack Of Beeing EP

Creme 12-75 - Innershades - Oase 12"

Creme LP-11 - Legowelt - Crystal Cult 2080 2LP/CD/Cass

It's hard to keep track of him, besides that LIES ep there is also a split EP on BAKK out I think, constant new remixes, that lords of midnite that nobody catched on, the Gilga album, etc. etc. If anyone would make a useful subforum (or main topic) it would be him.

True, I think I listened to previews for Lords Of Midnite maybe once when it was just released and then completely forgot about it until you posted it here. And the same happens to me with lots of his stuff. So thanks for the reminder!

Guest mrgypsum

his releases are as scattered as DMX Krew it would be impossible to keep up with them.. legowelt is perhaps my fav artist, him and autechre hold a place in my heart - maybe legowelt in my heard and autechre in my brain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tracklist:

• Experiential Awakening
  • Ancient Rites Demoni Mundi
  • Excalibure R8MK2
  • Psychotic Endurance
  • How I Live
  • The Future Of Myself
  • Fundamental Superstition
  • Crystal Cult 2080
  • When The Spring Comes Again
  • Cyberspace Is Still Happenin' For Real
  • Lighthouses & Fried Fish Disks
  • Distant Meadow In Your Soul
"The album will arrive on digital, cassette, CD and double-vinyl formats. The C90 cassette version, which is limited to 100 copies, features some album tracks on the A-side, while the B-side contains a Crystal Cult mix by Crème founder DJ TLR."

Brief interview from the same Resident Advisor story:

Tell us a bit about your fascination with the Roland JV2080, and why you decided to name the album after it?

Well it's not really a fascination, it's a cool synthesizer that goes pretty deep. It's a digital synth from the '90s that's really cheap nowadays 'cause all the kids want analogue stuff. But with machines like these you can make more mysterious, interesting sounds. It's not bound by the usual analogue "pwioooo bloop bleep" sounds. I use a lot of analogue synths, tooI am not anti that at all, I love those thingsbut sonically analogue synthesizers can become quite boring quickly.

How did your travels to LA, Tokyo and Tejada Gran Canaria feed into the recording of this LP?

There wasn't much feed from a conceptual point of view. There really wasn't a concept. I am just recording tracks all the time, and a few were made when I was at these places. It's nothing special, but the press loves that kind of stuff I guess, 'cause it sounds more exotic. The "Crystal Cult 2080" track itself was made in a hotel room in Shibuya, right on that big famous square where William Gibson got his whole Cyberpunk thing from. I had just bought the Roland JV2080 at some synth store there, and was playing around with the JV and XOSAR did some vocals over it.

The "Ancient Rites Demoni Mundi" track was recorded in Gran Canaria. I was in the middle of that island, it's really eerie there with lots of fog, dark forests, witchcraft and castle ruins; like walking in medieval times, not at all like the Benidorm holiday vibes on the south of the island. I think you can definitely hear that dark, foggy, mysterious vibe on that track. "How I Live" was made in Detroit when me and XOSAR were there two years ago. We stayed with Erika from Interdimensional Transmissions. It was in the middle of the winter, lots of snow, walking around in Greek Town and a completely desolated renaissance centre. I think you can hear that vibe in that track, too.

You also started a zine that taps into the "mystique of hacker romanticism." What can expect from Shadow Wolf in the future?

More issues with more freaky subjects, occult DIY projects, hot producer tips, stories interviews etc. I got a Japanese reporter nowhe will interview a bunch of cult electronic Japanese artists from back in the day. The next issue will be in February.

That Shadow Wolf site is really lolworthy and awesome at the same time. Can't wait for this release though, got the sampler EP last week FINALLY and it's even better than I expected (the previews sounded a bit meh).

This artwork beats the Paranormal Soul cover by a mile btw.

Those CD exclusives at the end sound great, I might have to go for all three formats with this one. Hope the cassettes don't sell out in 5 minutes, because I'm a bit busy these days, but whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since this thread doubles as the current Legowelt subforum: he's released another 2 EPs in January, of which I just got 'Blue Tearz'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-iL58TyIc

'Hollywood Murder Mystery' sounds good too, even though it's just one Legowelt track and a couple of remixes of it, I still kind of want it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V1jWcjUn4

• 3 weeks later...

Archived