IGNORED

Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel

MadameChaos

The thing about Wes Anderson films, for me anyway, is all of the really emotional parts that resound with me are ones that are never in the trailer, let alone would translate to anything in the trailer. So the fact that this one outlines the plot so thoroughly doesn't bother me. Life Aquatic is the only one with a big spoiler imo. (I admit, I have not seem Darjeeling yet, which is embarrassing.)

Studios have been pretty bad lately - Ender's Game for instance has a major spoiler in it, but it's something only people who read the book really realize fully. Literally less than 5% of the book - i.e. all the "action-packed" stuff - is 90+ % of the trailer's scenes.

This sounds so stupid, but the plot is kind of secondary with Wes Anderson films for me: all the substance is in the little interactions, especially the subtle dialogue, and the cinematography and aesthetic. For example, my favorite part in Rushmore is the moment when Mr. Blume meet's Max's father. It's an extremely tiny part in the film, but Bill Murray is brilliant for that brief moment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that one Wes Anderson movie where the cameras zoom in & there's people that walk in slow motion while some whimsical folk,rock song is playing...

WOW

SUCH SATURATION

LOVELY ORANGE

w o w

TYPEFACE IS GOOD.

SUCH QUIRKY INTERACT

SCHWARTZMAN

Wow.

ORANGE WOW

(I will watch this)

I highlighted that. Thought there was gonna be a hidden message. There wasn't. :(

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

The thing about Wes Anderson films, for me anyway, is all of the really emotional parts that resound with me are ones that are never in the trailer, let alone would translate to anything in the trailer. So the fact that this one outlines the plot so thoroughly doesn't bother me. Life Aquatic is the only one with a big spoiler imo. (I admit, I have not seem Darjeeling yet, which is embarrassing.)

Yeah the trailer didn't really spoil anything for me either - I want to see it even more now. The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums are my favourites I think. Darjeeling is good but I just didn't really like any of the brothers in it. It could have been great if their characters were deeper, but they just came across as kinda shallow and vacuous in various ways

i love the way his movies look and the silliness of them but my favorite will always be his most simple and character driven, Bottle Rocket. I don't think he's done anything as tight and cohesive since that movie personally.

• 3 weeks later...

ooh thanks for this Redruth. watching this short makes me realise why i'm really not a fan of his camera technique.

it seems so forced and unnatural, the cinematic equivalent of someone taking hold of the back of your head and jerking it around.

• 5 months later...

Yeah the trailer didn't really spoil anything for me either - I want to see it even more now.

This film was far more touching than I expected. Still plenty of majestically stylized awkwardness and dark humor (more so than past films actually). The setting is fictional, but a pretty heavy allusion to post-WWI Europe, particularly what the Austro-Hungarian Empire dissolved into. It's inspired by the writings of Stefan Zweig.

He really highlighted those not in his previous films: Ralph Fiennes, Tony Revolori, and Saoirse Ronan. Schwartzman was barely in it and other familar Anderson actors practically walked on in costume and walked out, which is not a bad thing. I was shocked when I realized who played Madame D.

it seems so forced and unnatural, the cinematic equivalent of someone taking hold of the back of your head and jerking it around.

Yeah, it did seem a bit annoying. Mostly at the start then i sort of got used to it. The unnaturalness of the scene was a bit to get over as well, it's not funny that someone would sit there holding a pheasant like some bucolic cliché. nwae.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. I always understood the humor in his past films, I just felt it was a bit too deadpan to really get off the ground. This had lols in abundance and it does his whimsical style more justice if you ask me. I didn't feel like I was watching a puppet show this time.

Is there a lot of Ed Norton in this one? because I reached my limit on Ed sometime prior to the turn of the century. No offense, Ed.

Is there a lot of Ed Norton in this one? because I reached my limit on Ed sometime prior to the turn of the century. No offense, Ed.

He's in it less than Moonrise Kingdom. But it's an arguably similar, albeit less involved role.

Edward-Norton.jpg

arguably

Thanks, lol. I actually did not see moonrise kingdom specifically because of the Ed factor. I believe it is in the netflix queue, awaiting a time when I have built up sufficient energy to confront Ed.

I really am sorry, Ed. I'm sure you're a nice guy, I just... I just can't right now.

Why you ask? Something about the way he manages to be both manic and monotonous at the same time, in every roll, just grates on me. And his comic timing just feels stilted and off to me. Could be totally irrational. I think he reminds me of someone I pretend to have forgotten. Sorry Ed.

Actually it was probably death to smoochy what did it.

I wanted to like this movie, but couldn't. I really love some of his earlier work (Life Aquatic above all), but this one just seems too much like a parody on Wes Anderson and his style. I didn't laugh even once.

All style and no substance. I'm having hard time believing this is really the direction he wanted to go. The lowest common denominator, flat and banal. Ha ha ha look how quirky and symmetrical everyhing is. Yes, "everything", because I don't think characters even exist any more in his films. It's all just props and movie set, actors could be replaced with cardboard cutouts.

I already disliked Moonrise Kingdom, but this one is even a few bars lower. I'm thinking maybe it's because Owen Wilson isn't cast in major roles any more, he was really perfect in all of Anderson's movies... I just don't know. I'm really disappointed.

Archived