IGNORED

Rare Bill Watterson Interview (2013!)

apriorion

So this has only happened a handful of times in the years since he ended "Calvin and Hobbes". It occurred to me that there might be some other fans of C&W on WATMM.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53216/mental-floss-exclusive-our-interview-bill-watterson

It's interesting how principled this guy is about his work. I have a lot of respect for that. But more importantly, I love his comic strips.

what a weirdo... ive read similar things about privacy and involvement with the system from orson scott card, and we all know he's almost to the right of attila the hun.

my views on art are just simply not a private exercise --> thus you can never have complete control over it... when RDJ says the same types of things my brow gets furrowed

what a weirdo... ive read similar things about privacy and involvement with the system from orson scott card, and we all know he's almost to the right of attila the hun.

my views on art are just simply not a private exercise --> thus you can never have complete control over it... when RDJ says the same types of things my brow gets furrowed

yeahhh,hard to avoid assholes trying to get rich off your idea(oh,but you get rich too,fine)

dontcareaboutcomics

yeahhh,hard to avoid assholes trying to get rich off your idea(oh,but you get rich too,fine)

dontcareaboutcomics

I think with Watterson you have to keep in mind that his magnum opus was turned into an image of a shitty redneck brat pissing on fucking truck company emblems in the context of an idiotic subculture of people who...well...put bumper stickers of cartoon characters pissing on truck emblems. It wasn't just a small trend, that was a really common sight back in the 90s and I still see it now. Being fairly militant about your art is understandable in that context.

Calvin and Hobbes were also extremely popular among the USAF and USN on bootleg and unofficial nose art on planes and patches on crew jackets and flightsuits. I don't think he ever commented on that despite likely being aware of it and also because it was more of a fan-oriented not-for-profit trend.

I dunno, it depends on the artwork itself too. Some art, especially say, certain forms of electronic music, thrive off of the concept of re-appropriation and sampling. Others are the complete opposite. As long as someone doesn't try to have it both ways I don't mind rather "private" and "controlling" stances when it comes to artistic ethos.

I find Bill Watterson's stance on this to be completely understandable for the reasons joshuatx mentioned.

I find RDJ's stance on it completely retarded. Man up.

Archived