IGNORED

Risky Business

manmower

I've been digging this era of Tangerine Dream lately, the soundtracky 80s stuff from Exit onwards. (Not that I've heard that much of what came before, really only Phaedra and Rubycon, but I've read that Exit marked the shift in their style.)

Their tracks on the Risky Business soundtrack are some of my absolute favorite Tangerine Dream, and I was about to go buy a copy but then saw this in the Wikipedia article:

The Tangerine Dream songs were chiefly previously released compositions, shortened and retitled to correspond to scenes in the movie.

Is there any truth to this, specifically that the original/longer versions were not only previously recorded but also released, and if so: which release(s) are they on?

Actually, isn't one of the tracks from exit?

Right! "No Future (Get off the Babysitter)" is part of Exit (the title track), it plays so quietly in the movie that I hadn't even noticed before.

About Love On A Real Train, I only just found out browsing YouTube that it's TD's interpretation of a Steve Reich piece. May be common knowledge, but to me it's like I'm hearing alternate versions already. :wtf:

Actually, isn't one of the tracks from exit?

Right! "No Future (Get off the Babysitter)" is part of Exit (the title track), it plays so quietly in the movie that I hadn't even noticed before.

About Love On A Real Train, I only just found out browsing YouTube that it's TD's interpretation of a Steve Reich piece. May be common knowledge, but to me it's like I'm hearing alternate versions already. :wtf:

!?!??! news to me, seems so bloody obvious now

one of the best things to come out of the 80's

[youtubehd]J9wo0cqq_Mk[/youtubehd]

edit: jazz it seems

and may or may not have been the inspiration for the intro to this track of mine hehe

https://soundcloud.com/daataa/mitch-murder-snow-crash

Edited by data

One time watching the movie, I kept expecting 8:07/5:23/Maiden Voyage/whatever it's called to come on, and only realized about half an hour after the movie had ended that that's a Global Communication track. In other words, excellent rip-off. I don't think I would've made the connection to your own track myself, but I can hear it now that you've primed me.

Ugh, a lot of the Risky Business LPs seem to have two of the best tracks shortened. I love the album art on them but maybe I should just buy a CD to make sure I get the full 'The Dream Is Always The Same' (3:43) and 'Love On A Real Train' (3:58), they're short enough as it is.

Which was of course pilfered 'slightly' by Global Communication -

And was no doubt remained in my subconscious for a decade or so when making this -

http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/track=2568393952/size=medium/

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Fuck. No wonder why this track and the whole album mostly gave me an eerily familiar sense of something. Esp this track... lovemaking on the train. God, what an awesome scene. awesome music (tangerine dream's from the actual soundtrack of course- but GC's play on it too). awesome movie.

wonder if Global Communication's track was intentional or not. I kinda feel like it's probably unintentional.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Yeah many of the TD tracks from Risky Business are edits from/of their Force Majeure album. Just get that! My favorite. Mindblow on the Music For 18 Musicians!!! I own all three of these, Music for 18 Musicians, 76:14, and Risky Business and have had to read about the connections of these tracks at separate times. Never put it together myself, but I guess I just really love that sound.

I think this is also my favorite era of theirs, with the Froese/Franke/Schmoelling lineup. The addition of Johannes Schmoelling really dialed in that signature arpeggiating thing they're known for.

Yeah many of the TD tracks from Risky Business are edits from/of their Force Majeure album. Just get that!

Checks out:

Remixed excerpts of "Force Majeure" titled "Lana" and "Cloudburst Flight" titled "Guido The Killer Pimp" were used on the film soundtrack Risky Business while a remixed excerpt of "Thru Metamorphic Rocks" titled "Igneous" was used on Thief.

'Guido The Killer Pimp' only takes its very beginning from 'Cloudburst Flight', but 'Lana' is almost directly lifted from 'Force Majeure', nice to hear its continuation.

That leaves my favorites 'The Dream Is Always The Same' and 'Love On A Real Train (Risky Business)' as the exclusives, which is what Alcofribas was saying earlier. So this is probably it, unless those two showed up on another release after all.

• 9 years later...
On 12/5/2013 at 1:46 AM, Npoess said:
Love on a Real Train is probably my favorite Tangerine Dream track

So, I've come to hypothesize that this track has ascended into a trope-like or archetypal status. I feel like it has seeped into so many corners of music. The Global Communication 8:07 is definitely the most obvious but I feel like The Smiths definitely had a Tangerine Dream one night in '88 and even let "train" slip into the title.

Most recently, our friend BT slipped onto a train as well

Obviously, we've been living with repeated arpeggiated sequences for the better part of a century and it's not like it's direct plagiarism going on. It's something like the pentatonic solo in rock/metal. Tangerine Dream just hit on a whole universe that you can dip into from an arrangement perspective and it's guaranteed to slap. 

• Like 1