IGNORED

Mindcamp 2014 Sets (Kettel, Roel Funcken,...)

Test Fforet

Hi guys,

just stumbled across the Mindcamp Mixcloud with Sets from the 2014 Event.

http://www.mixcloud.com/mindcamp/

Four Sets so far: Kettel, Roel Funcken (who is Dj Mindcamp i think), Shourai and Dj Eazm.

I love some Kettel now and then. Not many new Tunes, but solid Kettel stuff.

Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest murphythecat8

I love me some kettel everyday

for me, the stuff he did between 2001 to 2005 is the best electronica music ever created, by a long shot. Nothing comes close to his brillance and I will say it everytime a kettel thread is open.

Been listening heavily to his 2004 remix like not confused now and waiting for tonight. So much depth in those tunes. He really use the perfect sample of the two original songs and ues it in a way ive never heard anybody do that kind of remix.

I gotta say, I cant wait to hear his new album. Its been since 2009 he hasnt released anything solo and I have to admit that what he released recently like ibb and obb and when can has been a bit dissapointing...

kettle is good but not as great as rdj or aaron funk or ae, not even close. Reimer uses mostly major scale notes and not much else. I should probably stop giving comments about what's good and what's bad. Like 90% of the time when I see people's opinions on music, I smh. Like they can't even say explicitly why a certain music is good; they don't know how to comment on different aspects of the music and explain their opinion. All they know is saying something is good or bad because they feel like it, nothing else.

Here is my opinion on commenting whether certain music is good or bad: if you can't explain your own opinion, then your opinion is worthless.

Justin Bieber's music is the best, the most revolutionary music I've ever heard in modern music. There you have it. Have a nice day.

Pafr, I know you are joking about the j-beib comment but I have to say I disagree with your primary point.

You don't need an education in music theory to enjoy or dislike music. It makes no difference if you can articulate your reasoning. That is just analysing something that is fundamentally subjective.

On topic, I'm a huge fan of Roels work

work. I would kill to see half of these artists live.

Off topic, I don't care for half of aphexs discography, so put me in the kettle camp

yeah early rdj shit are shit. Yes, you can make simple music that's pleasing to the ears, but then there isn't much to discuss about such music, especially if the musician only sticks to a few composition methodologies.

I think complexity + how well it sounds (pleasing to the ears) are the most objective way to actually evaluate music. Everything else is just personal opinions and such, which doesn't really add anything to the art itself. The best audience participate is when the artist receives useful feedback from the listener. You can like and compliment someone's music, and maybe he'll feel better or something.

there are a few outstanding early rdj tracks though, the main thing, saying it again, that sets rdj apart from everyone else is his variety in his works. Most people just have a few tricks in the bag and just use those same tricks over and over again, without trying to explore and learn new things.

hmm... reimer is still pretty fucking amazing though. One of the few who knows how to play with notes. I've noticed noob knob twiddlers can't really do good note progressions. Reimer's better than aaron funk in this area. Aaron's got his own style, of course mostly drum heavy.

Pads are pretty noobish imho. They are just fancy chords, if you use mutliple waveform with different pitches.

One thing I've noticed that's lacking in almost all modern artists is the lack of modulation in tracks. Even pros don't use it often enough, and everyone is so used to listening to the same key in a single track.

Guest murphythecat8

yeah early rdj shit are shit. Yes, you can make simple music that's pleasing to the ears, but then there isn't much to discuss about such music, especially if the musician only sticks to a few composition methodologies.

I think complexity + how well it sounds (pleasing to the ears) are the most objective way to actually evaluate music. Everything else is just personal opinions and such, which doesn't really add anything to the art itself. The best audience participate is when the artist receives useful feedback from the listener. You can like and compliment someone's music, and maybe he'll feel better or something.

there are a few outstanding early rdj tracks though, the main thing, saying it again, that sets rdj apart from everyone else is his variety in his works. sus

I suspect you havent heard the fourth of kettel work. You couldnt hold those opinion. Here's my thought on someone taste.

If someone hasnt heard enough different style, enough different artist, enough different genre and the best musicians out there, even if he's able to talk about note progression, or key changes, I do not care about his opiniion. I'm a sax player, I used to have a teacher whom taste I couldnt fucking respect. She didnt like coltrane, but was in complete awe of lee konitz! She couldnt understand the genius of coltrane!

Are you talking about kettel when you say he uses only a couple of musical tricks. Talking about aphex twin as if he's a musicians genius. Talking about key in music, this is electronica dude. Listen to jazz for key changes. But honestly, Im a saxophone player and a jazz lover, I do not give a fuck about how well a guy is able to make key changes, I'm a fan of a player because he touches me. If music touch me, gives me goosbumps, thats what I am aiming for.

kettel has a few tricks in his bags? listen to volleyed iron, then myam james part 2, then smilling little cow and end it with red pears. It sounds like totally different artist.

I love aphex twin, he's in my top 10 favorite artist of all time, but kettel is number 1 for me

ps: but this set is not really amazing imo.

Listen to kettel work from 2001 to 2006 to have a idea, but each album is totallly different of the next. Thats what I love about kettel work

Guest murphythecat8

One thing I've noticed that's lacking in almost all modern artists is the lack of modulation in tracks. Even pros don't use it often enough, and everyone is so used to listening to the same key in a single track.

I agree. Most modern music doesnt change key enough. but ketttel do, so not sure why you talk about that here.

anyways, im out!

nah, I'm not saying Reimer only has a few tricks in his bag. He's a good composer, hands down. There are other artists who don't really know much about composition. And yes, Reimer uses more modulation than a lot other composers.

Another thing is that it seems people like to rank artists and such, and artists themselves like to compare and compete with each other, based on number of fans, how big of a label they are, and subjective opinions on who's 'better.' It seems rather sad to me that artists do that. I enjoy discussing and criticize other artists works. Of course, everything I say that's not objective are my subjective opinions, and it also saddens me that people, including artists, take my opinions personally. It's like if I don't say good job, they think I'm belittling their work. I think people don't discuss each others' work enough. Artists are like you do your thing and I do mine. It's not very helpful in promoting learning and exploration.

I like a small selection of artists, but I don't generally like ranking them since they do things very differently. Some are more drum pattern heavy, others are more focused on polyphony. I can make statements like Aaron Funk has more complex drum progression than Reimer, but that doesn't really mean much, especially not that one is better than the other.

Archived