IGNORED

Monitors.

pcock

Sorry, I wanted to write more in my previous post but forgot to.

I think I wrote about cans because it's a way way more cheaper investment than monitors. Personally I have had HS8's in the past and I really liked them (especially listening to music on them), but I am not so sure whether they are so good for accurate monitoring.

So I would go with the APS if you are torn between the two.

For a 3rd option, now I am using Neumann KH120A which are also surprisingly nice and I have no feeling like I need more low end. Those are more in the price category of the APS so should be similar.

FWIW I have Nil's old set of APS Coax and I love them.  IIRC the Klasik has more low end - I specifically got the Coax because I'm allergic to ported speakers. I used to check all my mixes regularly on Sennheiser HD650s before then, but since I got the APS I hardly touched the Sennheisers.

11 hours ago, xxx said:

I can tell it's rich knowledge by some pros.

Not my contributions, you've been warned.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:32 AM, xox said:

2. the phase from eqing is a minuscule problem to room problems which can be solved to some degree in a normal room and it makes sense to use corrective softwares only AFTER you tried to solve the problem with physics and Sonarworks (and similar) do nothing to correcting room’s phase problems (bc every room has it too, from its shape and furniture), unless we are talking about something like trinnov systems (5-6k euros)

AFAIK that depends o the type of EQ.  With "regular" EQ (shelving, bandpass, notch, etc) the phase shift is pretty negligible, but with conventional highpass and lowpass filters it's actually pretty significant (and that's part of why people obsess over the minutia of crossover design).  

Room correction doesn't tend to use the kinds of filters that can cause significant amounts of phase shift, though, so probably not worth thinking about in that context.

I think a really important thing to do is listen in multiple rooms with several different types of speakers. I feel like I read producers saying that all the time. I have hs5s I use, and hd 280s. But I also listen back on nice speakers and in my car.

These days I try to listen to all my stuff on a pair of garbage computer speakers I bought for $11 new on Ali Express, it's definitely helpful.  The only downside is the wires are so cheap that I keep having to put hot glue on them every few weeks when the insulation cracks in another spot.

I'd install better wires but they're too cheap to be able to open them up without breaking them.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, TubularCorporation said:

These days I try to listen to all my stuff on a pair of garbage computer speakers I bought for $11 new on Ali Express, it's definitely helpful.  The only downside is the wires are so cheap that I keep having to put hot glue on them every few weeks when the insulation cracks in another spot.

I'd install better wires but they're too cheap to be able to open them up without breaking them.

Oh yeah- I meant to mention that too, I do try and listen on average quality computer speakers and shitty laptop speakers. Really, the more variety you have the better. 

sure looks cozy and chill

sure the sound is a different story 

oh that reminds me

i recently moved my monitors into the corners of the studio room…they were 2-3 feet away from each corner…and honestly the sound is a bit better. used to hear everyone say never place monitors in a corner so i never did but in this case it’s better.

also don’t have proper sound treatment in the room so that’s likely a big factor in my hodgepodge studio

Yeah, it definitely looks really cozy.

I'm in the middle of a move and the people who were here before me were running a graphic design business out of the basement, so they have a huge, finished room down there that's amazing as a studio in terms of logistics, but it's the opposite of cozy because it was designed by the kind of graphic designers who also did their entire home in 100% Ikea.  I'd love to have something as cozy as what's in the picture (but with the size, wiring, lighting and double walls of what I got). No time to repaint or anything before I started moving, though.

Edited by TubularCorporation

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been looking at a new pair of monitors for 600 EUR max.

Compared the yamaha hs8 and the Kali Lp-8. Anyone been working with the Kali's? The difference between the two is rather huge. Kali = way more balanced/flat and pleasant. HS8 = much more pumping, almost like you're in a club. I'm somewhat concerned of ear fatigue with the Yamaha's as well.

My room is around 8m2 which also makes the hs-8 also feel like overkill. Curious to hear second opinions on the Kali's!

Not monitors exactly, but I'm using two of these old CRT monitor stands as speaker stands attached to the sides of my desk now, and it's working really well:

s-l300.jpg

I looked into every other option I could find for placing them on the sides of the desk without using separate stands, and this was by far the best (and cheapest) I found.  The runner up was modifying a pair of those hydraulic LCD monitor arms to hold speakers, which some people have done with good results, but getting arms that can hold mor ethan 18 pounds safely (if that much) gets pretty expensive.  The Coax speakers are 25 pounds each, so making arms for them would have cost a couple hundred dollars if I used the cheapest off-brand materials I could find, and significantly more if I used more reputable stuff.

So if you see an old CRT stand that mounts on the edge of a desk like that, grab it!  They're kind of hard to find now, I never would have even tried this if I hadn't already picked one up at a thrift shop a long time ago and used it to hold small mixers for years.

I'll post a photo when I get things a bit more set up.