IGNORED

Caustic Window LP: Art

phudoshin

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same Digipack style as used for Chosen Lords please (but black). I'd pay extra for it, I'm a bit wary of card sleeves and discs being scratched.

+1 for silver foil

Agreed - the promo for Chosen Lords is pretty cool (cooler than the actual release, IMO):

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1228510

OK, here's my mock up again, this time straight on, and with a Silver foil variant:

attachicon.gifCWLPGold.jpgattachicon.gifCWLPSilver.jpg

hey joyrex, your mockups are quite good and have been spending a lot of time on my computer monitor

:emotawesomepm9:
Yeah I'm burned out on recycled cardboard digipaks, the sleeve makes it more "limited edition" looking. Will it be black card stock?

Of course - I need to find out if it's actual black card stock, or "dyed" to look like it...

Would around 10USD (just throwing out a number) be an acceptable price for a digipak with a printed CDr?

if you want this to look top quality i would recommend a company inside the US called
Stoughton Printing, it's fairly expensive but they will do the job right. Foil embossing, debossing, embossing, black or other gloss color overlays across matte finishes. Lots of different options but I think it's minimum order 500

http://www.stoughtonprinting.com/

Finishing __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Stoughton Printing Co. offers custom finishing services that are sure to make your printing and packaging stand out from the crowd. These services include:

Special coatings — from overall matte finishes to overall high gloss UV (ultraviolet) coating. For a really nice touch, combine matte coating with high gloss UV as Spot Coatings.

Film Lamination — adds the highest luster to your printed product. It also provides additional protection, and is recommended for pieces that are handled frequently.

Foil Stamping — lends a classy touch to your finished product. Metallic foils are available in a myriad of colors and are great for making logos and graphic elements stand out.

Embossing, including Blind Embossing and Debossing — provides a unique tactile feature to your printed piece.

These, and other custom finishing services are available to our clients. Please e-mail your quote request to sales@stoughtonprinting.com or call us at (800) 961-3678.

if you want this to look top quality i would recommend a company inside the US called

Stoughton Printing, it's fairly expensive but they will do the job right. Foil embossing, debossing, embossing, black or other gloss color overlays across matte finishes. Lots of different options but I think it's minimum order 500

http://www.stoughtonprinting.com/

Finishing __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Stoughton Printing Co. offers custom finishing services that are sure to make your printing and packaging stand out from the crowd. These services include:

Special coatings — from overall matte finishes to overall high gloss UV (ultraviolet) coating. For a really nice touch, combine matte coating with high gloss UV as Spot Coatings.

Film Lamination — adds the highest luster to your printed product. It also provides additional protection, and is recommended for pieces that are handled frequently.

Foil Stamping — lends a classy touch to your finished product. Metallic foils are available in a myriad of colors and are great for making logos and graphic elements stand out.

Embossing, including Blind Embossing and Debossing — provides a unique tactile feature to your printed piece.

These, and other custom finishing services are available to our clients. Please e-mail your quote request to sales@stoughtonprinting.com or call us at (800) 961-3678.

Thanks - unfortunately, they don't do Digipaks, so that's a no-go for me.

Same Digipack style as used for Chosen Lords please (but black). I'd pay extra for it, I'm a bit wary of card sleeves and discs being scratched.

+1 for silver foil

Agreed - the promo for Chosen Lords is pretty cool (cooler than the actual release, IMO):

OK, here's my mock up again, this time straight on, and with a Silver foil variant:

hey joyrex, your mockups are quite good and have been spending a lot of time on my computer monitor

Yeah I'm burned out on recycled cardboard digipaks, the sleeve makes it more "limited edition" looking. Will it be black card stock?

Of course - I need to find out if it's actual black card stock, or "dyed" to look like it...

Would around 10USD (just throwing out a number) be an acceptable price for a digipak with a printed CDr?

$10 is perfect. the printed cd-r idea might be too much of a headache though. i'm sure you'll have more than a few people screw up the burn and ruin their cd-r's. then they'll be banging on your (virtual) door because you sold them a bad disc. plus the shelf life for cd-r media really isn't that great, so almost all would be coasters in 5-10 years or so anyway. a pro-made cd would be the best.

i know grant said something along the lines of "no physicals", but is there a $ amount where that could change? seems like they are leaving a lot of money on the table with this release. and it's really illogical that they are cool with a digital release but not with a physical release.

I too don't think that anyone should be sent cdrs, even if they are professional grade. It opens all sort of liability issues as stated and sounds like an immense fuckaround. But whatever, i'm not the one doing it and many seem over the moon about paying even more money.

+1 for silver foil

$10 is perfect. the printed cd-r idea might be too much of a headache though. i'm sure you'll have more than a few people screw up the burn and ruin their cd-r's. then they'll be banging on your (virtual) door because you sold them a bad disc. plus the shelf life for cd-r media really isn't that great, so almost all would be coasters in 5-10 years or so anyway. a pro-made cd would be the best.

i know grant said something along the lines of "no physicals", but is there a $ amount where that could change? seems like they are leaving a lot of money on the table with this release. and it's really illogical that they are cool with a digital release but not with a physical release.

Well, the CDr would be nice in the respect it would have offset printed artwork on it (I'm thinking the 4 kings motif again, but have the reflective surface of the CDr show through similar to the foil stamping of the cover), plus the quality of the CDr media these places use are much higher than what people typically buy off the shelf (and don't have that green/blue tint to them like consumer CDrs have) - I did a 3" CDr as a bonus for our WATMM Volume One CD release, and I was surprised at how good it was in terms of quality.

I too don't think that anyone should be sent cdrs, even if they are professional grade. It opens all sort of liability issues as stated and sounds like an immense fuckaround. But whatever, i'm not the one doing it and many seem over the moon about paying even more money.

Liability in what sense? You mean people messing up their burned copy and wanting another? I could see that, but if that was made clear up front, I don't think it would be an issue.

In regards to the "no physicals" aspect - I think the feeling is if people wanted a physical version (to play in their car, etc.) the digital files would allow them to burn their own physical copy.

I should stay out of this conversation like i have been, cause i don't really know anything about it and negativity is brushing my posts with a pointless hue this morning.

Why not just make a scan of the white label? That's what the release is after all.

Re-read what you just typed, and ask yourself: why? And this was not released (but artwork was most likely planned), so having a blank white label is just... boring.

Why not just make a scan of the white label? That's what the release is after all.

Yeah, I think an elaborate artwork is improper for a release like this. A little on the wanky side, frankly. Still I like a couple of the suggestions in this thread, would participate in a vote for the ultiamte WATMM fan art thing stuff.

You guys are too fast

cat023x.jpg

I actually like this a lot.... it's simple, yet kinds of says "here's caustic window again... another side" and has the feeling of something valuable being discarded but yet still ....relevant, if you know what i mean.

Guest bitroast

agree 100%.

maybe some 3D WordArt or something with the title "Caustic Window LP" on top to spazz it up a bit incase anyone finds it boring..

adding some elaborate packaging to an unreleased album feels weird to me. like signing and framing some bog standard 'certificate of participation' award and putting it up on a wall real proud like.

i got a bunch of talking heads albums off my mum and one of them was this bootleg live recording pressed to vinyl. and the album has a gatefold sleeve and it's a bit old and worn out and has text about the shows and pictures of the band. so i put on the record, really happy to have this live album pressed on disc. this weird bootleg live album! and it's a fucking audience recording. and it's full of people talking and chatter and background noise and rustling the whole way through!!

for some reason, making a foil embedded black cardboard digipack pressing of an unreleased richard d james album feels slightly more weird and stupid than the shitty audience recording of talking heads show pressed to vinyl.

but i dunno. that's just me. i'm just looking forward to hearing the music, man.

i don't know what you guys are thinking using the Aphex Twin logo in the cover art here.

it's a well known fact that Warp owns this along with the name "Aphex Twin" and Richard's actual face (the downside to using it on the album covers).

Well, the CDr would be nice in the respect it would have offset printed artwork on it (I'm thinking the 4 kings motif again, but have the reflective surface of the CDr show through similar to the foil stamping of the cover), plus the quality of the CDr media these places use are much higher than what people typically buy off the shelf (and don't have that green/blue tint to them like consumer CDrs have) - I did a 3" CDr as a bonus for our WATMM Volume One CD release, and I was surprised at how good it was in terms of quality.

i'm sure the printed cd-r would be gorgeous, but what would be the cost difference between having a company print up a bunch of blank cdr's versus having them print up a bunch of professionally pressed cd's with the music already on them? having the end-user burn the disc is just asking for trouble, and seems like a totally unnecessary step. but i understand that there is the issue of getting rephlex to ok that.

hopefully i don't come off as negative. i love all the work you are doing, and the idea of nice physical packaging makes me happy. i'd just like it to be the best that it can be, as i'm sure you do as well.

Archived