IGNORED

Pesticides sprayed in cabins of some international flights

delet...

next time I go into a plane I'm gonna go "fluoride 9/11 JFK" and recite eugene posts.

should clear everything up imo

i'm going to carve this into the moon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If insects on flights is such a big deal why don't they have airlocks on planes doing international flights, make them a sealed quarenteed area, and have us change clothes or something. Oh right, they aren't going to do this, nor will they spray the inside of anyone's countless bags of luggage. This whole spraying the cabin thing is a pointless mismanaged disaster. Nevertheless hey, lets do the airlock thing as this seems better than poisoning the foetuses inside pregnant women, or the rest of us for that matter. I would rather pay $10 extra for to the airline that provides me a seat on the airlock plane and ride with those others out there that don't want to get mega doses in a small closed room of sketchy insecticides. If you others want to go ahead and continue with a nothing to see here attitude, that's fine, fly on the shitsoup airlines flight denein denein denein.

[-;

two posts above there's a link to study that says that this thing is harmless, so what's the point of reiterating that it's NOT without addressing that link or bringing anything legit that says otherwise and just namedropping "poisoning fetuses"?

"there will be people that understand what i am saying" - i know exactly who you are talking about.

"WHO has found no evidence that the specified insecticide sprays are harmful to human health when used as recommended"

http://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_travel/aircraft_disinsection/en/

Considering the W in WHO is literally two upside triangles I am having a hard time believing what they say.

it also kinda rhymes with NWO...this can't be a coincidence. (H is a russian N, too)

Interesting article:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/apr/21/uk.medicalscience

I like this bit at the end

"Sue Ellison, spokeswoman for Porton Down, said: 'Independent reports by eminent scientists have shown there was no danger to public health from these releases which were carried out to protect the public.

'The results from these trials_ will save lives, should the country or our forces face an attack by chemical and biological weapons.'

Asked whether such tests are still being carried out, she said: 'It is not our policy to discuss ongoing research.'"

two posts above there's a link to study that says that this thing is harmless, so what's the point of reiterating that it's NOT without addressing that link

What's to address from a link which provides no evidence to support their claim beyond the 'authoritative weight' that it comes from the WHO and also contains a typo which i have labelled in bold. If these people can't even spell check a simple statement, how do you expect to trust the reassuring assertion contained in their one sentence missive towards 'nothing to see here'.

Passengers are sometimes concerned about their exposure to insecticide sprays during air travel, and some have reported feeling unwell after spraying of aircraft for disinsection. However, WHO has found no evidence that the specified insecticide sprays are harmful to human health when used as recommended.

But of course being eugene, being annoyed at the sky for being blue not the orange you were assured it would be by a man who had only seen it once at dawn, is your raison d'etre.

Asked whether such tests are still being carried out, she said: 'It is not our policy to discuss ongoing research.'"

Yeah, that's pretty ominous. Sure it was 2002 that she was alluding to them keeping on with these things, but there's no reason why programs which are secret wouldn't be going on now. And they use the same kind of metric that governs the institution of pesticides on planes, it will probably take less lives than the oftimes unquantifiable threat which we are defending against would have, so bully for us, lets keep up the spraying/testing/experimenting/whatevertheevilmutherfucking.

so you equate your authoritative weight with that of WHO's on those issues and simply cling on the fact that there was no actual research in the link and continue as if it doesn't actually exist ? and then add to that the ridiculous jab at WHO which loses credibility because of a typo (which isn't actually a typo but a proper word you're simply unfamiliar with) ?

are you fucking serious ? i mean does that constitute a proper counterargument in your view ?

/sprays your room before bed with two full cans of pesticide every day for several years because like those of the cabin crew that are exposed to it, you're cool with it.

Logic, get on it, it's the good stuff.

My point was that they're probably ok if used in the correct way. Walking through a cabin full of people with a can of spray I'm guessing isn't the correct way.

Neither is not telling people but you'll probably find it in the small print somewhere.

If you did enough research in to water treatment and how they do it and what they put in there you'll probably never drink water again.

Guest Phonejack

Aircraft disinsection is actually the proper term. it looks like a typo but it's not.

(That or the WHO made a typo and they covered it up by making the typo standard.)

Aircraft disinsection is actually the proper term. it looks like a typo but it's not.

lol, so it is. I was actually thinking that it would be tedious to throw eugene a bone by not checking to see if the word existed before doing my thing, but then i went, fuckit, it's only eugene. It would be like being concerned that a boulder in the forest you were walking through caught you whilst you were mid scratching your balls. heh.

/sprays your room before bed with two full cans of pesticide every day for several years because like those of the cabin crew that are exposed to it, you're cool with it.

so now you've just switched to nonsensical analogies because you have nothing to add that makes sense? so the crew itself gets sprayed everyday in a tight cabin and they simply don't realize it and have nothing to do about it? how do even come up with that stuff? i've never actually engaged in a serious argument with you but you've basically slipped into complete retardation just after 2 posts.

My point was that they're probably ok if used in the correct way. Walking through a cabin full of people with a can of spray I'm guessing isn't the correct way.

what makes you think so ?

so now you've just switched to nonsensical analogies because you have nothing to add that makes sense? so the crew itself gets sprayed everyday in a tight cabin and they simply don't realize it and have nothing to do about it? how do even come up with that stuff? i've never actually engaged in a serious argument with you but you've basically slipped into complete retardation just after 2 posts.

Eugené, lul wut

Governments that force airlines to spray pesticides in aeroplane cabins during long haul flights could face legal action if a landmark case in Australia is successful.

A former Qantas steward who believes he developed Parkinson's disease after repeated exposure to the pesticides is suing the Australian government, which mandates use of the sprays in all long haul flights into the country, including those operated by its Dubai-based alliance partner Emirates Airlines and Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways.

The case could lead to air stewards around the world taking similar legal action if they are diagnosed with a motor neurone disease.

The Sydney neurosurgeon who diagnosed the former Qantas steward told him he was seeing "a lot" of cabin crew.

Brett Vollus, 52, worked for Australia's national carrier for 27 years as a flight attendant until his early-onset Parkinson's forced him to take redundancy in May this year, AFP reported.

"He has no family history of Parkinson's and he believes the Parkinson's has been caused by his exposure to the insecticide that he sprayed as a long-haul flight attendant on at least a fortnightly basis over a period of 17 years when working on board aircraft," Vollus’ lawyer Tanya Segelov told AFP.

"There is a link in the medical literature between Parkinson's and other motor neurone disease and insecticide, and that link is well established.”

The spraying was mandated by the Australian government on World Health Organisation guidelines to prevent the spread of insect-borne diseases such as malaria.

Known as "aircraft disinsection", such spraying has been an international practice since the 1920s and the first WHO directives on the subject were published in 1961.

Segelov, who won a landmark engine fumes suit in 2010 against a regional Australian airline on behalf of a flight attendant who suffered respiratory damage, said Vollus' case could have global implications.

"This is not an issue confined to Australia, and there are still countries that mandate this spraying as well," she said.

"Some Asian countries still do it, India definitely still does."

Australia's health department said its disinsection programme was in line with WHO requirements and all products used had been assessed as safe, both internationally and by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority.

"The WHO has found no evidence that disinsection sprays, when used according to their guidelines and manufacturers' instructions, are harmful to human health," a department spokesman told AFP.

The Australian Transport Workers' Union said it would consider filing a class action on behalf of the nation's aircraft workers if a health link could be established with insecticides, urging anyone with such concerns to come forward.

Segelov said Vollus' case would hinge on whether the government knew, or should have known, of the potential risks to cabin crew.

The lawyer said practices had since evolved to allow spraying to take place once the aircraft was empty and in a hangar, and for the personnel carrying it out to wear protective gear.

"As I understand it from looking at the World Health Organisation requirements that option has always been available," she said.

"From the research I've done I think (the Australian government) were the ones that made the decision to spray on board the planes and they did it in such a way with no protection was offered to my client - he had a can in each hand, he couldn't even cover his mouth."

Notem :"The WHO has found no evidence that disinsection sprays, when used according to their guidelines and manufacturers' instructions, are harmful to human health," Note the part in bold because you can be sure that these manufacturers guidelines instruct using these cans in well ventilated areas and not the whole can at once in people's faces, especially not children and pregnant ladies, and all sorts of shit which is the caveat upon which WHO would be hanging their whole 'it's safe to use' on. Also, the studies probably used doses way lower than those people are actually exposed to to help the data have that fresh zing of publishability.

The World Health Organization and the International Civil Aviation Organization stipulate two approaches for aircraft disinsection--either spray the aircraft cabin, with an aerosolized insecticide, while passengers are on board or treat the aircraft's interior surfaces with a residual insecticide (residual method) while passengers are not on board.

http://www.dot.gov/office-policy/aviation-policy/aircraft-disinsection-requirements

just drop it delet, you're a delusional idiot and the more you post the more idiotic you look. the studies actually use the doses much higher because that's what they're supposed to do to to be on the safe side.

The World Health Organization and the International Civil Aviation Organization stipulate two approaches for aircraft disinsection--either spray the aircraft cabin, with an aerosolized insecticide, while passengers are on board or treat the aircraft's interior surfaces with a residual insecticide (residual method) while passengers are not on board.

http://www.dot.gov/office-policy/aviation-policy/aircraft-disinsection-requirements

just drop it delet, you're a delusional idiot and the more you post the more idiotic you look. the studies actually use the doses much higher because that's what they're supposed to do to to be on the safe side.

Your only point seems to be to call me an idiot, you don't address any of the concerns with a valid counter argument because you know that you can't. It's eugene arguing 101 as usual. I don't understand why of all things in the world to get anti about, would you jump on the side of fucking insecticide being sprayed in the faces of passengers as something that you feel the need to defend. It's like you are not real, no one could be this strange. We live in a world where smokers aren't allowed within metres from the entry to a building and are even being phased out from whole streets. Where there are ever tightening emission standards for cars and for the types of compounds allowed in our foods. And yet this mostly unnoticed policy hangover from the 1950s should somehow be left in place, in the workplace, unquestioned, unchallenged.

are you capable of following a reasoning for a sequence of more than 2 posts ? in case you're not capable of comprehending of what you wrote yourself let's try again, you wrote that: "Note the part in bold because you can be sure that these manufacturers guidelines instruct using these cans in well ventilated areas and not the whole can at once in people's faces", to that i replied that it is indeed how WHO prescribes to use those pesticide, ie: "spray the aircraft cabin, with an aerosolized insecticide, while passengers are on board" and which it determined to be safe. so what concern of your is left unadressed ?

the pesticide is obviously not sprayed on the passengers just for the kicks, as you probably believe, but it is done so for legitimate reasons and according to WHO regulations, so i don't see why we're even having this discussion.

Archived