IGNORED

Why is techno alledgely so big in Japan?

Guest The Bro

Guest mushroom

I got the moon

got the cheese

got the whole damn nation on its knees

got the BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOMTSKBOOMTSKBOOMTSKBOOMTSKBOOMTSKBOOMTSKBOOMTSKBOOMTSK

I asked Jeeves and he said that techno is big in Japan because while the Japanese are experts in technology they also enjoy the simple things in life like miso soup, raw fish, and techno.

Since when is Techno simple? Richie Hawtin's DE9 projects are practically the most technically advanced music (in their day) there is.

No doubt! Transitions is epic! I bought it because I enjoyed closer to the edit. I'm still not convinced the sources are the most technically advanced in their day. But Hawtin has a great talent of lifting old minimal tracks and mixing them together to create complex rythms. I'd give the credit to Hawtin for making the tracks on de9 sound advanced. the tracks which "in their day" are what they are, he knows just how to mix them in a 2.1 and 5.1 audio field.

imo Hawtin's just an over-marketted, poor man's Stewart Walker

yeah everything's big in japan because there's this idea that anything Western is cool, and any Western-influenced Japanese music is ever cooler - so they're open to and up for pretty much anything up-front

p2p's more of a cult thing over there - everyone still buys CD's and vinyl by the bucket load

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Winters cityside

Crystal bits of snowflakes all around my head and in the wind

I had no illusions

That Id ever find a glimps of summers heatwaves in your eyes

You did what you did to me, now its history I see

Heres my comeback on the road again

Things will happen while they can

I will wait here for my man tonight, its easy when your big in japan

When your big in japan, tonight

Big in japan, be tight, big in japan where the eastern seas so blue

Big in japan, alright, pay, then Ill sleep by your side

Things are easy when youre big in japan, when youre big in japan

Neon on my naked skin

Passing silhouettes of strange illuminated mannequins

Shall I stay here at the zoo

Or shall I go and change my point of view for other ugly scenes

You did what you did to me, now its history I see...

Things will happen while they can

I will wait here for my man tonight, its easy when youre big in japan

i went to a techno club in shibuya in tokyo, and was well weirded out.

one of four clubs i went to that evening.. there's another three threads in this story, but i'll stick to the point.

so, me and my hosts, and my gf were on the guesty, so we went along... four to the floor acid techno playing, and we were off it, so we hit the floor, and started dancing our respective nuts off.

#

couple of minutes later, we notice a) no-one else was dancing and b).. peole were starting to point and laugh at us (the japanese do pointing and laughing more prolifically than any other race i've encountered)

as it goes, the de rigeur thing is to go to a club and stand and watch the dj... politely applauding every time a mix is dropped.

fucking weirded me out

still, tokyo is a weird fucking place.

why is this thread

so old, yet revitalised?

no more please more no

you have the weirdest experiences in Japan.

I've never once, been pointed at or laughed at in Japan. Not once (and I've been there 18 times). That would disrupt protocol.

And I've danced at many a club in Japan..including one that was a tiny little hole in the ground where they had a massive hard-on for hardcore gabber that would kill many of the breakcore people in here.... :)

Koreans outshine the Japanese at the pointing and laughing by a wide margin.

Guest Bad Influence
as it goes, the de rigeur thing is to go to a club and stand and watch the dj... politely applauding every time a mix is dropped.

That truly sounds like my idea of hell.

That truly sounds like my idea of hell.

sounds like a lot of "electronic music" nights in the 90's

chin stroking rucksack wearing cunts everywhere watching someone mix

luckily it's not true.

Sorry PB. You know I have nuff respect for you, but damn...I've had some great nights out in Japan.

Archived