IGNORED

Crystal Castles New Track, First One Post-Alice Glass

Joyrex

http://pitchfork.com/news/59294-crystal-castles-arent-dead-return-with-frail/

Ethan Kath (1/2 and founder of CC) has emerged from the shadows with "Frail", the first track produced after Alice Glass left the band.

Kath had some pithy comments in the SoundCloud that were later removed, but here they are:

i wish my former vocalist the best of luck in her future endeavors. i think it can be empowering for her to be in charge of her own project. it should be rewarding for her considering she didn't appear on Crystal Castles' best known songs. (she's not on Untrust Us. Not In Love, Vanished, Crimewave, Vietnam, Magic Spells, Knights, Air War, Leni, Lovers Who Uncover, Violent Youth, Reckless, Year of Silence, Intimate, 1991, Good Time, Violent Dreams etc.). people often gave her credit for my lyrics and that was fine, i didn't care.

A bit butthurt, but by the same token, it looks like Kath is trying to clarify that Glass was only part of CC and not integral to it's existence.

https://soundcloud.com/crystal-castles/frail

The new song is good, nothing mind-blowing, and a bit of a stab at Glass having someone sound like her do vocals.

I wonder if it really is true Glass didn't do the vocals on "Untrust Us" (one of my favourite CC songs) - unless Kath can do high-pitched vocals or someone else did them, it sure sounds like her...

saw this the other day. I had a good laugh at "Wish her well, but here's why she was basically useless to CC"

song did nada for me.

yeah not quite as good as CC's early work but it's not bad, intrigued to hear more

tbh I always thought Glass and Kath's relationship was a bit weird but hey ho, it made three great albums. I wonder how it'll affect CC's live shows if they do more, seems like Glass was the life and energy of them.

Yeah, this new track is kinda bad... Crystal Castles have never really been all that amazing to begin with IMO, I saw them live a couple years back with an ex-roommate and while it was a fun show I was never really compelled to listen to them.

I wonder if it really is true Glass didn't do the vocals on "Untrust Us" (one of my favourite CC songs) - unless Kath can do high-pitched vocals or someone else did them, it sure sounds like her...

Ah, I see - so CC sampled Death From Above 1979's "Dead Womb" - didn't the original lyrics come from a Pink Floyd song, or am I remembering that wrong?

Good song. I liked Alice Glass, but I guess it's true that the majority of the tracks I love the most from them didn't feature her.

Archived