IGNORED

New Bowie release imminent!

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/55917-david-bowie-says-new-music-coming-soon/

Please please please Dyy viddd.. Make something conceptual, fun, weird, dark, electronic, danceable, and/or interesting! Heathen and Reality were stellar fucking albums but A New Day was just really sad from the few tracks Ive heard... I had to stop listening, it just made me too depressed. The album sounded like someone on their deathbed reminiscing. You're only 68, I know you still have plenty of edge and spunk.. I think its time to take it a bit out of the introspective gloomy realm youve been in musically, recently (since 1999's Hours) and make something cool... Thank you my idol/role model/inspiration/life coach!

Ooh ooh, maybe a sequel to Black Tie White Noise or Outside?? Maybe create a new persona/theme/concept like Halloween Jack?

Maybe bust out the sax again? Some jazz/world/soundtrack type material?

Cheers,

LV

Does Bowie read wattm or what?

Ooh I don't know, but if he does and hes reading this, he should know I will love & support whatever he decides to put out and respect whatever story he wants to tell :D I just have my fav bowie things/requests as a fanboy

By Jeremy Gordon on July 16, 2014 at 10:37 a.m. EDT

Err... is it here yet?

I know ... I just realized that article is from last year. Hoping hes taking his time to make something fresh and intriguing.

It's not something he's done since 1979, so not likely IMHO.

Hopefully it wasn't just a reference to "Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)" since that track came from later '14. As brilliant as that track is, I'd love to hear more!

By Jeremy Gordon on July 16, 2014 at 10:37 a.m. EDT

Err... is it here yet?

I know ... I just realized that article is from last year. Hoping hes taking his time to make something fresh and intriguing.

It's not something he's done since 1979, so not likely IMHO.

I'll have to disagree, but I will give you that Lodger (although also Scary Monsters in 1980), was his sort of last influential era of the Bowie that the masses know him by- the androgynous / glam rock/ persona-shifting / cocaine-fueled 70's Bowie. I think because that's always been his most highlighted era/decade, many people have associated his legacy with those releases. There is something to be said that albums like Diamond Dogs, Station To Station and Low were such transcending albums that they still continue to inspire and influence artists of all kinds today. They were also his peak in terms of age, fame and came around a time when music truly needed those albums.

However, all release dates, decades, ages, eras & context aside, I'm not sure what out of his immense catalogue you've heard, but albums like Black Tie White Noise (93), Let's Dance (83), Outside (95), Heathen (02), Earthling (97) and even parts of Reality (03) have some pretty amazing music, highly imaginative concepts and a fusion of styles (from jazz to ambient to industrial to dnb to new wave) that imo have been executed superbly. You've Been Around, China Girl, I'm Deranged, Loving The Alien and Bring Me The Disco King, although they are not classic glam rock / 70s style bowie, are all incredibly expansive, theatrical, dark, other-worldly pieces with incredible melodies, undeniable grooves and incredible lyrics... Of course this is all my own fanboy interpretation and there's a giant invisible "imo" before every line here. Music is subjective- I can't stand the sweeping statements in music journalism like "xyz is the definitive best album of all time, hands down." But I'll defend 80's / 90's Bowie til I die lol

Hopefully it wasn't just a reference to "Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)" since that track came from later '14. As brilliant as that track is, I'd love to hear more!

Oh wow, I hope not either.. I haven't heard that track, will listen now..

Update- just listened, holy shit, that's a cool track. The noir elements, the free jazz, the broadway style feel, this is some of the best new Bowie I've heard since Earthling. Really hope he brings this vibe to his next release if there is one. (: thanks for the tip!

Update- just listened, holy shit, that's a cool track. The noir elements, the free jazz, the broadway style feel, this is some of the best new Bowie I've heard since Earthling. Really hope he brings this vibe to his next release if there is one. (: thanks for the tip!

Well if nothing else, at least this thread got your attention on that track, because, yeah, everything you said. It's killer.

I actually heard it 'cause I picked up the 3-disc version of his retrospective Nothing Has Changed, which is actually really worth checking out even though it's a compilation. The cuts he chose, and putting them in reverse chronological order, make the package stand out on its own merits, and is one of the best retrospectives I've heard when it comes to re-contextualizing material in its greater context.

Well if nothing else, at least this thread got your attention on that track, because, yeah, everything you said. It's killer.

I actually heard it 'cause I picked up the 3-disc version of his retrospective Nothing Has Changed, which is actually really worth checking out even though it's a compilation. The cuts he chose, and putting them in reverse chronological order, make the package stand out on its own merits, and is one of the best retrospectives I've heard when it comes to re-contextualizing material in its greater context.

Definitely... Oh wow, very cool. I will have to check out that new comp... I was surprised to see some very cool obscure cuts on Disc 1, so that caught my attention.

Thanks for the head's up. Was listening to Bowie's Outside Outtakes last night while falling asleep.. I've heard the album before but I forgot how awesomely menacing some of those songs are lol

'the next day', not 'a new day'.

and i loved it. it was very knowing, but it had an experimental edge in places and it rocked the fuck out. your perception may have been coloured by the lead single 'where are we now?' which was pretty mournful and introspective. the last track on 'the next day', heat, was very, very inspired by modern scott walker stuff and i'd love to hear more like that.

as well, the most recent stuff, "'tis a pity she was a whore" and "sue (in a season of crime)" were very, very experimental so that bodes well.

as well, since that article, it's been announced he's doing a soundtrack to a musical theatre version of the man who fell to earth.

'the next day', not 'a new day'.

and i loved it. it was very knowing, but it had an experimental edge in places and it rocked the fuck out. your perception may have been coloured by the lead single 'where are we now?' which was pretty mournful and introspective. the last track on 'the next day', heat, was very, very inspired by modern scott walker stuff and i'd love to hear more like that.

as well, the most recent stuff, "'tis a pity she was a whore" and "sue (in a season of crime)" were very, very experimental so that bodes well.

as well, since that article, it's been announced he's doing a soundtrack to a musical theatre version of the man who fell to earth.

Dayum, Kaini you just schooled me (:

Yeah, i kinda wondered in the back of my mind whether i was prematurely judging the album by the few tracks (including the single) ive heard from it... Fact is, i think i was left so depressed from that single (although it was beautiful), that it drained me of my energy to keep listening lol.. I will definitely give the album a chance.. Looking forward to hearing good experimental Bowie on it, as you mention. (:

Definitely looking forward to his man who fell to earth theatre interpretation.. When i heard about that, i was also giddy, even though im not a fan of the movie. But anything he wants to sing/perform in a theatrical style, im sold (:

Ahhaaaa!! :D :D Very likely a new Bowie album (or possibly even albums) after all!

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/music/david-bowie-new-album-plans-let-slip-by-hannibal-showrunner-bryan-fuller-10298930.html

Hopefully that holds true! And I'd forgotten about the musical, hopefully that music gets a physical release somehow.

And definitely give The Next Day more tries— it actually didn't quite click with me at first, but I kept going back to it every now and then, and it's really grown on me.

The Next Day might be my favourite Bowie album. Absolutely brilliant, almost every song is really throbbing with energy. Where Are We Now? took a while to grow on me, but most of the rest of it I found quite immediate. That recent 10" was absolutely ridiculous, in the best way possible. I hope I'm making music at least a tenth as insistent and creative as that as I'm nearing 70. The combination of those two releases makes me very positive for the next album, whatever it may be.

Archived