IGNORED

AFX playlist to convince music theory guy that RDJ is the man

cooliofranco

Honestly, I think someone who's into theory would be more into Autechre than AFX. Ae does more of the crazy experimental stuff

during analogue studio class a colleague played some autechre to the teacher and the expression on his face was priceless, like an angry gaze, mumbling the words 'how primitive'. A couple of generation gaps maybe, but some of the academic electro acoustic guys I've met think music made for 2 speakers is by definition uninspiring.

gah, theory snobs really are the most insufferable people

i'd rather hang out with serial killers

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hexagon would fit in nicely as well. Or maybe Z-Twig or Blue Calx, or any of the tracks from SAW II that have been wrongfully ommitted.

Also, use the original Icct Hedral instead of the shitty orchestral version.

Guest kymppinetti

Dude you gotta show him/her autechre too. They're like how Beefheart would be, if he had an electronic drums/synths.

we went back and forth a bit more and decided that he should just listen to drukqs first and then move on to the playlist. i'm waiting to hear back from him.

btw i've been listening to a lot of hip hop / pop hits radio lately (my 1-year-old likes it ok?). it's amazing how much of AFX's sounds i hear in these current hits. maybe i've just got AFX on the brain, there does seem to be a lot of detuning / vintage pads / classic drum stuff, especially in the more adventurous hip hop.

when i started this thread i was hoping for stuff like "this track is in this key, but it's detuned and has third hand playing something weird, and then it slides into this other collection of unequally tempered circling melodies," but it sounds like that's just not how AFX rolls. it really is mostly "weird pop" and as someone who has spent countless hours trying and failing to compose a decent melody, i think "weird pop" is high praise.

Archived