IGNORED

AFX playlist to convince music theory guy that RDJ is the man

cooliofranco

If you're going to give him a list of like 10 or 20 tracks, I wouldn't put anything on there from the dump when there's tons of great stuff from his main monikers. I feel like 99% of stuff from the dump is only meant for people like us WATMMers.

I should also mention, I showed another theory minded friend flim, which was met with a slight 'meh'. he said it had interesting counterpoint. That's all he could conjure up when trying to find something positive. I showed him Death Fuck and he basically said 'it's really detuned, it would sound better tuned'. He liked Avril 14th tho.

It's understandable. You play instruments intended for 12tet, you only listen to 12 tet, you will likely only like 12 tet, even if you listen to " the greats" such as Bach (his favorite from what I remember). By the way, Fenix Funk was too detuned for him as well.

Okay ONE MORE THING, I read a study recently that the people most likely to react negatively to music even SLIGHTLY detuned, around 10 cents, are musicians who play 12 tet. Especially those who play piano. A normal person who listens to Fenix Funk may not even notice the detuning and are more likely to pay attention to the rhythm and the track in general. A musician who's done nothing but listen to beethoven his or her whole life are -much- more likely to have the centers of the brain that light up when disgusted... that's right disgusted, when they listen to something detuned.

So I think you should take stalk of what he listens to currently. If he likes experimental artists, feel free to show him detuned stuff. If not, then try to stick to 12 tet.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stimmung (the gregory rose recording) is one of the greatest works of music of all time. there is something spiritual, transcendent and otherworldly in that music.

i'll check it out, thx

heh, a bit too detuned maybe. Neither of the two theory minded friends who i showed this track were even slightly impressed. I have no clue what their brain is doing x(

Guest cult fiction

A few that I've always found pretty bewitching that might be appropriate

Analoggins

xmd5a

Radiator

GAK#2

bbydhyonchord

strotha tynhe

Time to Find Me remix

Guest murphythecat8

this is my playlist for your friend who listen with his brain rather then his heart

flim

alberto

stone in focus

rhubarb

organ

make a baby

blue calx

on

z twig

digeridoo

avril 14th

slow early morning

sekunda

mookid

cow cud is a twin

liken

IZ US

tha

cliff

Forget about trying to convince this music theory guy. The reason Rdj is the man hasn't got much to do with music theory. It's mostly context, sound/machine manipulation, and most of all the imaginivity, imo. If he doesn't understand the context, he won't be able to appreciate Rdj's music from a pure theoretical perspective. Which is in itself a pretty warped way to appreciate music, btw.

Forget about trying to convince this music theory guy. The reason Rdj is the man hasn't got much to do with music theory. It's mostly context, sound/machine manipulation, and most of all the imaginivity, imo. If he doesn't understand the context, he won't be able to appreciate Rdj's music from a pure theoretical perspective. Which is in itself a pretty warped way to appreciate music, btw.

This discussion has been great. My friend is very open-minded and eager to give rdj a shot. I think we can all agree a high level of appreciation comes when one tries to mess around with DAWs and hardware and sees how really amazing rdj is with these tools. But for folks without that experience, or folks not steeped in electronic music and appreciative of his influence, rdj can still be a winner.

I was thinking of maybe taking a few tracks that "alarm will sound" made (taking the originals, not their versions) since my friends perspective might overlap some with theirs.

''AFX playlist to convince music theory guy that RDJ is the man''

define 'the man', please

if you mean genius, please define 'genius'

Show him this too...

[youtubehd]2XlTjeNHv-8[/youtubehd]

I agree about context. I think a lot of people won't truly get how groundbreaking his stuff is, having not heard a bunch of the older stuff when it was brand new.
The influence is everywhere now.

Interesting topic. I'd say decent headphones are a must unless the sound system is great, there a quite a few Afx tracks that just didn't click for me until I could hear them properly, not mangled by bad quality speakers. That said, my suggestions would include:

Schottkey 7th Path + Hedphelym - What I would call the "creepy duo" from SAW 85-92, I still to this day find it incredible that anything like that was made about 30 years ago. Obviously a different type of beast to his later stuff, but already showcasing the uniqueness and style we know and love. I would actually be very interested in a "Music theory guy's" opinion on Hedphelym, it does such strange things to my brain waves.

Vordhosbn - Been said, but I definitely find that to be one of the most interesting and adventurous sounding tracks in the whole discography.

Audax Powder - Not many other tracks like it as far as I know, when you're listening closely it's a real mind journey. Interesting beat changes, interesting sounds, and not overly busy in terms of actual elements, if ye get my drift.

Logon Rock Witch - The kind of song that sounds simple to untrained ears, and enjoyable to even people with no interest in Aphex or electronic music in general, but opens up brilliantly when you start really paying attention, like all great tracks.

For something from Syro I'd probably go with one of the CIRCLON's or S950tx16wasr10, but you can't really go wrong with anything from there I suppose (been listening to it again a lot lately, it's still getting better).

Mt Saint Michel - Some more "busy" stuff to accompany Vordhosbn etc. Lot to digest, and all of it tasty.

Anything from The Tuss stuff, really couldn't think of a track that wouldn't fit the bill.

And finish with Milk Man, for the hell of it. I know next to nothing about Music Theory, but I know all about Rich being The Man, so my choices should be about right :emotawesomepm9:

first of all thanks pierlu, im honored you suggested my z17 cover :D

what i know from experience with my piano teacher: don't even bother showing them avril14th, aisatsana, father, nannou or even flim.... not interesting at all for those people i guess :) I have to say my piano teacher is one of the most extreme kind, wagner, chopin, bach and that's pretty much all he find's worthy to be listened to.

of course it depends a lot of what kind of music this guy is into, but if he is as you said just like me very much into classical music - and of course not completely disgusted by electronic music but curious - he might like a few of the tracks wich amaze me alot in regards of harmonics/melodic development etc.... :

1) acid organ

reminds me a lot of bach somehow :D the bass synthesizer wich accompanies the melody from the start has the same function as a basso continuo - or at least there are similarities - and the whole track is basically structured very classicaly with different sections bringing out different nuances of the main theme.

2) acrid avid jam shred

showcases RDJs incredible talent to combine motives and melodies that on first glance dont't seem to fit together, but combined with the right effects, drums and sounds all those different layers somehow merge into one. acrid is a great example, starts off with those drums, then slowly the bass comes in, etc. etc. until it peaks at 3:46 with the high synthesizer melody, and then one element after the other is disappearing again until you're back to the solo drums that started it all.

3) backdoor.ranky.s

might be a bit too weird, but it shows a bit more of his atonal and dark side, nevertheless it offers an interesting harmonic structure - Maybe it just works because i know it as the great ending track of analord tho, don't know if i would still like it so much without that context.

4) analogue talks

yeah, if he doesn't like this one punch him in the nuts.

5) 16 fresher + cleaner

good example for how he sometimes likes to create tension by bringing in more and more samples, acid or rave elements and then suddendly dissolves it with simple melodies or harmonies and how he exactly knows how to make the most out of them and make them really stand out, 4:10 onwards if you don't know what i mean

a few others that come to mind are afx 237v7, diskprept1, sloth, last rushup...

hope those are good examples, those are just the ones that came into my mind because i thought a lot about them/listened to them a lot recently :)

Let me know what stuff he liked ! :D

I just read Leonod33's post, AUDAX POWDER, how could i forget it ! :D and of course all the other stuff that has already been mentioned, just wanted to name one's i don't think have been mentioned yet.

First ruffy his flute of champagne that you have kindly offered to him on the auspicious occasion of your AFX listening party. Once passed out bind him to the following contraption:

nisi9.gif

... and proceed with the following playlist at 125 dB:

Aphex Airlines

KTPA 1 & 2

Phonge

AFX 114

Short Mental Afx

Gwarek2

36 Shroommdot [miCro3] [8th dimension transmission]

First ruffy his flute of champagne that you have kindly offered to him on the auspicious occasion of your AFX listening party. Once passed out bind him to the following contraption:

nisi9.gif

... and proceed with the following playlist at 125 dB:

Aphex Airlines

KTPA 1 & 2

Phonge

AFX 114

Short Mental Afx

Gwarek2

36 Shroommdot [miCro3] [8th dimension transmission]

then give him flim to induce a stockholm-syndrom and he'll love afx forever, perfect.

Archived