IGNORED

Foals - What Went Down

jules

shit yea. i still love these guys...

On August 28th, Foals return with a new album called What Went Down. Due out through Warner Music, the follow-up to 2013’s Holy Fire was recorded in a 19th-century mill in southern France with James Ford (Arctic Monkeys, HAIM, Mumford and Sons). The 10-track effort is a “primal, intense, sometimes harrowing album of extremes” which touches “upon the depths of madness whilst also exhibiting some of the most beautiful pop songs the band have ever written,” according to a press release.

Lead songwriter Yannis Philippakis is said to have been inspired by themes of “cultural identity, generational anxiety, cynicism, pessimism and heartbreak.” “I wanted to tap into my inner madman,” he says, “and feel like I was channeling some sort of fevered creature.”

That feverishness is on full display on the LP’s title track, which debuted this afternoon on Annie Mac’s BBC Radio 1 program. Foals’ official new single plays out like a monster storm system, comprised of a whirlwind of lightning riffs and a torrential downpour of chilling, visceral lyricism. “While you were sleeping, I took over your town,” Philippakis sneers early on, followed up later by repeated shrieks of “When I see a man, I see a liar!” during the manic bridge. By the time the five-minute number’s run its course, the English rockers have left only destruction and damage in their wake. Listen in below.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/foals-premiere-epic-new-single-what-went-down-listen/

not gonna lie i've got a bit of a soft spot for these guys cause when they first came on to the scene in i think 2008, i was listening to a lot of indie guitar band music or whatever you wanna call it, and i thought antidotes was this super interesting record and way better than a lot of what else was being put out in that genre, so i listened to a ton of them

i still think that relative to the time, but now i think with each album they've just got more and more boring and sound like everything else, and i can't tell if thats just because i've stopped listening to that kind of music or if they're genuinely getting less imaginative with each release

i dunno but that track felt just plain boring to me. i miss the mad polyrhythm's they used to throw about between the two guitarists

I love the first one but in some ways, I think they're getting better with each release. they're def not sitting in one place, that's for sure. they seem to be getting heavier too.

I love the first one but in some ways, I think they're getting better with each release. they're def not sitting in one place, that's for sure. they seem to be getting heavier too.

That's cool with me. Inhaler is their best song and its probably their heaviest. I haven't really kept up with them after Antidotes which I used to love back when it was released tho.

they're def not sitting in one place, that's for sure.

True, i can't deny that. I just think they seem to blending in more and more with the other acts around them, so the changes in style are kind of lost on me, as they're just changes to less interesting music.

Either way i'll always give whatever these guys put out a listen, and i've only heard one track from this new album so i can't judge.

I am surprised at the amount of love for them in this thread though, didn't really think they'd be a watmm approved band for some reason

I am surprised at the amount of love for them in this thread though, didn't really think they'd be a watmm approved band for some reason

couldn't give a monkeys whether watmm approves them or not

(otherwise you'll do a Limpy :wink: )

good guitar bands seem thin on the ground nowadays....

couldn't give a monkeys whether watmm approves them or not

(otherwise you'll do a Limpy :wink: )

good guitar bands seem thin on the ground nowadays....

oh no of course it doesn't affect my opinion on their music, just surprised is all

So i went back and listened to some of foals' early stuff today and i had forgotten just how interesting some of it was. I really wish they had continued in the direction of this track, Glaciers, at some point, seriously listen to this...

That's a fucking great track with so much detail and progression throughout. This new stuff feels so meh compared to what they clearly have the capacity to be doing.

• 2 months later...

Archived