IGNORED

the dead kennedys

delet...

Love DK!

Today, I heard about one of Jello's favorite bands, The Screamers, and they were great! Punk with a Rhodes and an Arp Odyssey! They never released any albums, but they did do some live videos.

Have loved DK and Jello for a long long time. I remember picking up Plastic Surgery Disasters LP in the library and loving the cover when I was in grade 7 (would have been 13/14 then)..maybe 1987.

Needless to say the music blew me away, but the message was even clearer. Got to see Jello on his spoken word tours twice. Very solid.

Anyways probably the smartest of all the political punk bands that ever came out. And damn good music as well.

I remember being 15 and so into Nirvana's nevermind, then one of my older mates plays my slayer reign in blood and DK nazi punks fuck off 7"... my world changed forever lol

Bleed, Riot, Moral Majority are probably up there but this has been my favourite for a long time...

Anyways probably the smartest of all the political punk bands that ever came out. And damn good music as well.

As much as I cranked RATM when I was an angry young teenager who was discovering leftism for the first time, I've rarely been able to return to them as much as the Dead Kennedys. Jello channeled his anger in such a humorous and biting way, and the bands musical ability, one that brought in a lot of garage and surf rock influence, has always made them stand out. Honestly they are the only American punk band I've ever been able to get into. And as far as punk goes in general, they're about the only politically charged one that really did it for me (unless you count the Clash), probably because it's so reliant on sarcasm and dark humor.

Jello's spoken word is always thought provoking, even when I briefly swung away from being liberal years ago I still listened to his stuff on occasion. His voice is inherently funny too. Finally saw him live and was a bit disappointed, he was re-hashing a lot of older stuff and his rants weren't very current...but it was still great. He's like a punk elder now.

Also, I've yet to find this on my hard drive or online, but there was recording from a Napster hearing that I heard 10 years ago where he and other panelists spoke and his commentary was remarkably prophetic and insightful. This was back in 1999 / 2000 and he was already talking about the (then) hypothetical problem of having ad-based revenue for streaming music as an alternative to selling mp3s, as well as the fact that the novelty of mp3 will never trump the demand for lossless or physical media.

Interesting side-note: the band has a nasty split with Jello. They said he didn't pay them sufficient royalties, he claimed they were eager to break from their punk ethos and licence music for commercials and films. The musical greatness of the band lay in the work of guys like East Ray Bay especially, but all of the lyrics and iconography came from Jello. Both the band and Jello tour separately and play old DK songs (though Jello has released solo and collaboration albums since)

And as far as punk goes in general, they're about the only politically charged one that really did it for me (unless you count the Clash)

No love for Bad Religion?

I need to give them a thorough listen, that's one band I think I'd like. My uncle was a big punk rock fan when he was in high school. There's a picture of me when I'm a toddler, when him and my aunt were babysitting me, and I'm wearing his 7 seconds shirt and he's wearing a Bad Religion t-shirt and he had gelled my hair to stick straight up.

And as far as punk goes in general, they're about the only politically charged one that really did it for me (unless you count the Clash)

No love for Bad Religion?

I need to give them a thorough listen, that's one band I think I'd like. My uncle was a big punk rock fan when he was in high school. There's a picture of me when I'm a toddler, when him and my aunt were babysitting me, and I'm wearing his 7 seconds shirt and he's wearing a Bad Religion t-shirt and he had gelled my hair to stick straight up.

Haha, nice! No Control is a pretty good showcase of older Bad Religion, imo- lots of short, fast songs. For more recent stuff you can't go wrong with The Empire Strikes First. Not a bad track on the album as far as I'm concerned:

Fun fact: main BR guy Greg Graffin lectures in evolution and paleontology when he's not being all punk, which is kinda cool.

For me a lot of punk bands sound better on paper than they do on the ear (Black Flag especially)

I always get primed for The Brainmosh, yet deflate real quick. Maybe it's the production? My best mate is a massive punk fan and I mean massive. So I've heard hundreds/thousands of punk tunes of all weird punk genres.

Anyway I was gonna say ('cause I'm aware the beer is talking/droning) that Holiday in Cambodia is one of my favorites. It's a total killer track. Love it. Yeah. Cheers!

:sleep:

bad religion are so so terrible, the efluential vibes they give off might ruin this threads positive chakra. and no examples you can post will change my mind leon,the singing is so annoying and the music so pointless, and on top of that the production,it's all so hokey, missing the point and unmusical, it's akin to the difference between mainstream country music to bluegrass or the older veins of country this is the punk version of that, all the life has been stripped back the only thing that remains is the power chords. God they're terrible. Were very popular though. The macdonalds chicken nuggets of punk.

sorry leon, but that band just bring out the hate in me, my post was never going to be anything other than vicious, think of it in the way that you'd receive a jello spoken word.

Early Bad Religion, before they signed to Atlantic, was ok.

Same goes for NoFX and Rancid (though neither were overtly political).

I gotta rep my hometown. SNFU killed it.

Archived