IGNORED

Steve Roach - Etheric Imprints

fumi

New album from one of the electronic pioneers of the last thirty years.

Seriously, if you've never checked out Steve Roach, you're missing out on some incredible music over the last thirty years.

"Reaching towards a new voice in Roach’s vocabulary of expressing the ineffable, the twenty-eight-minute title track was created with an highly processed electric grand piano as the main voice. Performing in real time and responding to an expansive electro-acoustic environment, Roach profoundly shapes musical space and tone in his hands. In this piece, moments of stillness arise like waves of flow and ebb while a substratum of analog modular synth zones provides a constant, slowly shifting undercurrent of mystery and harmonic interplay."

I've been listening to him since 1988 and I don't think I've ever heard him play piano until now.

https://steveroach.bandcamp.com/album/etheric-imprints

Regards

I've been listening to him since 1988 and I don't think I've ever heard him play piano until now.

I think there's a very early track with piano... will have to dig for it

edit: 'Truth in Passing' from Dreamtime Return features piano

The dude just has such a huge discography that it intimidates me and I don't know where to start. I've listened to Structures In Silence (?) but it just wasn't my thing.

"Dreamtime Returns" is a great place to start. First, cleanse your mind of any engrained new-age hatred, then listen critically. It's a masterpiece, and excellently paced. Anyhow, new roach is always good news. The guy is tireless. He's put out several albums a year every year since like 1785.

this sounds very SOTL. and that's a good thing.

The dude just has such a huge discography that it intimidates me and I don't know where to start. I've listened to Structures In Silence (?) but it just wasn't my thing.

imo The Magnificent Void is also a good place to start after Dreamtime Return

http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Roach-The-Magnificent-Void/release/15062

Personally, I love his more pure ambient based works. I could give a list of the ambient only albums, if anyone's into that.

Ordered this a couple days ago. Looks to be a good release.

I'd start with Light Fantastic and Blood Machine, personally - they kind of go hand in hand and are of his best percussive releases. Also, check out his new Skeleton Keys and The Skeleton Collection for more synth-based stuff.

• 2 months later...

Archived