auxien

Alda’s ambition is to be a powerful and flexible music programming language that can be used to create music in a variety of genres by typing some code into a text editor and running a program that compiles the code and turns it into sound. I’ve put a lot of thought into making the syntax as intuitive and beginner-friendly as possible. In fact, one of the goals of Alda is to be simple for someone with little-to-no programming experience to pick up and start using. Alda’s tagline, a music programming language for musicians, conveys its goal of being useful to non-programmers.

At the time of writing, Alda can be used to create MIDI scores, using any instrument available in the General MIDI sound set. In the near future, Alda’s scope will be expanded to include sounds synthesized from basic waveforms, samples loaded from sound files, and perhaps other forms of synthesis. I’m envisioning a world where programmers and non-programmers alike can create all sorts of music, from classical to chiptune to experimental soundscapes, using only a text editor and the Alda executable.

Thought this might be of interest to some on here. Worth looking at in the sense of it's something different, though I'm not sure it's something I'd take to using much, if ever.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/8/9275011/alda-musical-command-line-notation Is the story I came across.

And the main Alda site: http://daveyarwood.github.io/alda/2015/09/05/alda-a-manifesto-and-gentle-introduction/

Looks cool. I'll probably try it out, I especially like the idea of markers. Seems like a nice way to write a score, although I cant see anything about setting the output midi port/channel? Seems a little pointless if all I can use it for is the built in soundfont. Running inside a jvm is another turnoff.

Archived