IGNORED

AE Denver - final tour stop

JS20

It was awesome, great sound and amazing material. I enjoyed Cygnus' tunes and of course AE blew the roof off the Bluebird. I ran into some friends I hadn't seen in ages which made the night even better. Didn't meet any WATMMfolk tho (except for a handshake w/Cyg).

Anyone happen to get a recording?

I think you were right next to me, did you ask me who was playing (Cygnus) and then relay that to a different guy in a white t-shirt a few minutes later? I was wearing a black ball cap, ear plugs, and a black EFF/NSA shirt. A couple was standing at the edge of the balcony in front of me most of the time.

WATMMagnetism?

I'm pretty sure the merch situation was if the venue had a table and someone to man the table, they'd sell merch.

luckily the venue in N.H. seemed to has an abundance of employees milling around the small venue so they seemed more than happy to sell merch also.

could be wrong but that's what i saw

Oh my god it was awesome

I was there up front middle left moving forward throughout show in brown jeans and a blue shirt with card suit symbols on front, dancing in place like a spastic with my shoulders to assist with causing full body spine chills

I shouldn't have listened to recordings of this, there was some really awesome details which I was sort of disappointed didn't happen, like the super hard stabs on that track from the promo video - they were weaker at this show. But oh my god so much stuff I haven't noticed in any recording, so many details

I loved the one that sounded like little icey crystal balls shooting forward at you bouncing off each other. Loved the few points where totally unexpected percussion was thrown in. Fuck why did it have to end, the ending track was great too that sounded like a muffled assortment of different notes, don't even know how to explain it.

There was one point where this one track's most interesting details were almost primarily felt physically from speaker air on your face and bass in your chest as opposed to even listened to.

I wish I could remember more details but it was too much to even take in at once. If it was an album it would be their most difficult and would be a many-listens one for me at least

Lol at so many people leaving early and discussing it as its happening, shut up and listen. Oh and yeah really wished there was merch, walked around for ages trying to find a damn ATM to get some cash for a shirt and all CDs I didn't yet have (think someone said theyre selling quaristice and something else)

Fuck that was awesome and worth my many hours of airport sitting

http://we.tl/ZJDVOA6mhu

we were towards the back, on the left side (raised partition)

the first two minutes are quiet/muted because they wouldn't allow any recording (i was warned during Cygnus' set) ..recorded w/Zoom H2N (MS), 0 gain (it was loud), so the recording is quiet. had to hide the device again for part of the 'strobing bees' at about 11 minutes in. otherwise it was fairly open/direct for the duration, from the left/back of the room.

the very first thing they played was fucking bad ass, it's a shame that the first couple minutes are a somewhat obscured.

latter half of the set was unreal.. massive, beautiful sound zones w/sharp details and textures. really positive vibe throughout, it felt almost triumphant through the latter third, sort of a medley of semi-song forms and melodic patterns emerging from the barrage. i got some y7 bassline/timbre vibes at one point. the sound/mix was excellent from where we stood. it was an amazing set, we were floored.

the audio file (.wav) is raw, no eq or normalisation (it's quiet)

Guest julie and candy

what struck me about ae's set was how different it was from exai. deep chasmic bass . .vibes, space, waves . . :))

Guest julie and candy

what struck me about ae's set was how different it was from exai. deep chasmic bass . .vibes, space, waves . . :))

did we listen to the same exai? :cerious:

?

http://we.tl/ZJDVOA6mhu

we were towards the back, on the left side (raised partition)

the first two minutes are quiet/muted because they wouldn't allow any recording (i was warned during Cygnus' set) ..recorded w/Zoom H2N (MS), 0 gain (it was loud), so the recording is quiet. had to hide the device again for part of the 'strobing bees' at about 11 minutes in. otherwise it was fairly open/direct for the duration, from the left/back of the room.

the very first thing they played was fucking bad ass, it's a shame that the first couple minutes are a somewhat obscured.

latter half of the set was unreal.. massive, beautiful sound zones w/sharp details and textures. really positive vibe throughout, it felt almost triumphant through the latter third, sort of a medley of semi-song forms and melodic patterns emerging from the barrage. i got some y7 bassline/timbre vibes at one point. the sound/mix was excellent from where we stood. it was an amazing set, we were floored.

the audio file (.wav) is raw, no eq or normalisation (it's quiet)

The recording is actually not that bad, I've heard worse ones from this tour.

Thanks!

i'm struck by how 'clean' all the mass of details were when blended together hearing it in person Vs on these bootleg recordings. I had the false impression hearing these bootlegs that it was going to sound more like the Exai sound pallete, with some of that muffling/dirty effect but this set was devastatingly crispy and clean. The wall of noise aspect of it only came out of how many layers were stacked together at once, but its hard to discern that from listening to any of the audience recordings. In parts I almost felt like the bass sound they were doing was additive or spectral manipulation of some kind, it didn't sound like any previous bass stuff they've been doing. Probably the closest released track they have to what the set was is this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6gqsCZB92U

listening to it again after i heard the set, it almost sounds like some kind of custom version of what people use Massive for, except of course they have their special magic in it, which sounds almost like a combination of a comb effect/synthesizer + additive/fft automation. The reason i say additive/spectral is because there was a point during the set where the bass line turned down to what sounded like below 20 hz, you could hear the clicks of the sawtooth wave but there was still a really solid upper bass tone coming out of it.

https://soundcloud.com/leheron_idletones/autechre-bluebird-theater-ii

this is an excerpt from the latter third, it felt really celebratory and victorious.. super feel-good. at about 4:20 there's a zone that recalls y7, but maybe it's just the quality of the bass that reminds me of it.

funny that "recks on" was posted upthread. if anything, the sound palette recalls bits and pieces of recks on, with all of the shale and tooth-y bass fuckery going on.

• 4 months later...

just listened to the first five minutes of this set, again.. it's evolved somewhat from the earlier European dates, here it has a Xylin Room/Rsdio-like quality, with these ribbed/click-ity textures going on, more focused. impossible to describe, though. there's some *ultra* psychedelic shit going on with the bass... not unlike recks on. hope we get to hear some of the later American shows in the AE_LIVE format

Archived