05. Backcountry

06. Melczop 2

07. Zenker Haze Trak

08. Reshape

09. Japan Air

10. Shady Jibbin'

11. Panorama

12. South Mathematikz

The release will be Ilian Tape's second full-length since it launched in 2007. It follows Zenker Brothers' Immersion LP (one of our favourite albums of 2015), which was released around this time last year. Shred, due out on February 1st, comprises 12 tracks set for vinyl and digital release. It will be the third Ilian Tape release for Skee Mask, a Munich native formerly aligned with Boysnoize Records. His first Ilian Tape 12-inch, Serum, dropped back in 2014, with RA's Will Lynch praising its "fantastic kicks and thick, mercurial chords."

Really dug his two EPs on the same label as well as his Boiler Room set. Pretty sure it's the kid (formerly) known as SCNTST on Boysnoize making a clear departure from his earlier style.

Well that's really just what I and a few others seem to think, or maybe there's just not that many people who care about his identity? But if it's not him then SCNTST has a look-alike wandering around the same city, with the same posture and mannerisms, who was "formerly aligned" with the same label as him, and is now on a label that he's also done a podcast for. I noticed that RA deleted the bit about Boysnoize from the paragraph that I quoted though, so now I'm not sure whether their info was wrong or they were asked to remove it because it was too obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the heads-up manmower, I'll check it a bit later once I've cooled down from work. Some people say skee mask is prince of Denmark/traumprinz (spelling). Not fussed myself, I just hope this album is as good as his 2 eps. I luv 'em.

It should be. I'm picking it up for sure when it's out, listened through the entire stream a couple of times already and I'm really digging it. It doesn't have the intensity of his EPs and really takes its time to try and be a "proper" album, but I like the result.

FzNqORM.jpg?2

(I realize that with a name like Skee Mask and that album art he probably means snowboarding but whatever).

I'm glad to hear of this. I've been mourning the loss of phat rhythms in techno as everyone seems to find it adequate to let a tinny 606 set to "disco" run ad infinitum lately. Whoever this is definitely remembers why it's called dance music. There are a lot of 90s nods in his sound: Bytes-era Black Dog, Coil's Snow EP, Richard on his "Classics" tip, some FSOLy moments as well. Good news all around

Agreed! It's also got a lot of the 90s euphoric breakbeat style of Shed's club tracks under his bunch of Power House aliases, just with more of a subdued "listening music" kind of vibe to it. This is right up my alley and I'm still appreciating it more with every listen, no needless complexity, polish or other wank, but just the right amount of restraint and refinement. Even the track sequencing feels spot on.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I know it seems only 4 watmmers are into this (which is cool by me) but just thought I'd drop in to say I love this very much.

Some of you might be missing a trick with this in my humble opinion.

i really miss the intensity of the eps on the lp - reshape is a beauty though

I've been resisting making the comparison to Objekt's Flatland for that reason: that album was to his 12-inches as Shred is to Skee Mask's, but whereas I thought Flatland was a total dud I seriously appreciate this one.

The Ilian Tape crew is mostly new to me by the way and I can say their catalog is worth browsing for anyone into this vein of techno, I've been caning this guy Andrea's stuff in particular lately but there is quite a bit of worthwhile stuff on there...

I've been resisting making the comparison to Objekt's Flatland for that reason: that album was to his 12-inches as Shred is to Skee Mask's, but whereas I thought Flatland was a total dud I seriously appreciate this one.

The same thought crossed my mind

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i really miss the intensity of the eps on the lp - reshape is a beauty though

The Ilian Tape crew is mostly new to me by the way and I can say their catalog is worth browsing for anyone into this vein of techno, I've been caning this guy Andrea's stuff in particular lately but there is quite a bit of worthwhile stuff on there...

yeah well put. also the pearson sound lp - some musicians are really delivering more with less hehe.

and andrea makes wonderful music - need to check out more from ilian tapes too.

Archived