IGNORED

Alan Moore - Jerusalem

fumi

Finally, this novel is released today (after years of waiting).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/alan-moores-sprawling-new-epic-jerusalem/2016/09/12/59f0cc8c-5826-11e6-9767-f6c947fd0cb8_story.html

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/12/the-book-about-everything-reading-alan-moores-jerusalem/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/12/alan-moores-jerusalem-its-here-on-my-floor/

Gaiman, King and all the others might publish more often but Alan Moore does it so much better.

Alan Moore says of his work:

In the half a square mile of decay and demolition that was England’s Saxon capital, eternity is loitering between the firetrap tower blocks. Embedded in the grubby amber of the district’s narrative among its saints, kings, prostitutes and derelicts a different kind of human time is happening, a soiled simultaneity that does not differentiate between the petrol-coloured puddles and the fractured dreams of those who navigate them. Fiends last mentioned in the Book of Tobit wait in urine-scented stairwells, the delinquent spectres of unlucky children undermine a century with tunnels, and in upstairs parlours labourers with golden blood reduce fate to a snooker tournament.

Disappeared lanes yield their own voices, built from lost words and forgotten dialect, to speak their broken legends and recount their startling genealogies, family histories of shame and madness and the marvellous. There is a conversation in the thunderstruck dome of St. Paul’s cathedral, childbirth on the cobblestones of Lambeth Walk, an estranged couple sitting all night on the cold steps of a Gothic church-front, and an infant choking on a cough drop for eleven chapters. An art exhibition is in preparation, and above the world a naked old man and a beautiful dead baby race along the Attics of the Breath towards the heat death of the universe.

An opulent mythology for those without a pot to piss in, through the labyrinthine streets and pages of Jerusalem tread ghosts that sing of wealth and poverty; of Africa, and hymns, and our threadbare millennium. They discuss English as a visionary language from John Bunyan to James Joyce, hold forth on the illusion of mortality post-Einstein, and insist upon the meanest slum as Blake’s eternal holy city. Fierce in its imagining and stupefying in its scope, this is the tale of everything, told from a vanished gutter."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/alan-moores-sprawling-new-epic-jerusalem/2016/09/12/59f0cc8c-5826-11e6-9767-f6c947fd0cb8_story.html

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/12/the-book-about-everything-reading-alan-moores-jerusalem/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/12/alan-moores-jerusalem-its-here-on-my-floor/

Gaiman, King and all the others might publish more often but Alan Moore does it so much better.

In the half a square mile of decay and demolition that was England’s Saxon capital, eternity is loitering between the firetrap tower blocks. Embedded in the grubby amber of the district’s narrative among its saints, kings, prostitutes and derelicts a different kind of human time is happening, a soiled simultaneity that does not differentiate between the petrol-coloured puddles and the fractured dreams of those who navigate them. Fiends last mentioned in the Book of Tobit wait in urine-scented stairwells, the delinquent spectres of unlucky children undermine a century with tunnels, and in upstairs parlours labourers with golden blood reduce fate to a snooker tournament.

Disappeared lanes yield their own voices, built from lost words and forgotten dialect, to speak their broken legends and recount their startling genealogies, family histories of shame and madness and the marvellous. There is a conversation in the thunderstruck dome of St. Paul’s cathedral, childbirth on the cobblestones of Lambeth Walk, an estranged couple sitting all night on the cold steps of a Gothic church-front, and an infant choking on a cough drop for eleven chapters. An art exhibition is in preparation, and above the world a naked old man and a beautiful dead baby race along the Attics of the Breath towards the heat death of the universe.

An opulent mythology for those without a pot to piss in, through the labyrinthine streets and pages of Jerusalem tread ghosts that sing of wealth and poverty; of Africa, and hymns, and our threadbare millennium. They discuss English as a visionary language from John Bunyan to James Joyce, hold forth on the illusion of mortality post-Einstein, and insist upon the meanest slum as Blake’s eternal holy city. Fierce in its imagining and stupefying in its scope, this is the tale of everything, told from a vanished gutter."

Pretty fucking awesome write-up. I'm eager to read it.

Funny, I've just gotten into Moore after seeing Watchmen recently. I've since been listening to his interviews with Stewart Lee on Youtube. Bit unsure about Lost Girls but happy to give this a go.

heh, reads like stream of bollockness, i hope the writing in the book is more coherent and less incogent meandering, rambling sampling of an whole lot of noute much at all.

/and now the rest of watmm dislikes me "not allan moore, come on man", mission complete. [-;

heh, reads like stream of bollockness, i hope the writing in the book is more coherent and less incogent meandering, rambling sampling of an whole lot of noute much at all.

/and now the rest of watmm dislikes me "not allan moore, come on man", mission complete. [-;

Everyone+that+just+heard+the+news+-+Imgu

You're right of course. Some reviews have criticised Jerusalem for its pretentious writing and I've found it to be a 'flowery' in places.

Good writing is about short sentences. I'm still enjoying it though and it trashes everything else I've read this year.

blow me

Forgive me if I decline.

How about this? Every gentleman should have one.

IMG_1154.jpg?format=750w

I guess they need your occupation to know whether you are able to pay or just want the catalogue for other purposes, that shortcut the need for what they are trying to sell with it.

Cheers for the heads up on this, below the radar with real life bollix getting in the way.

The Moon & Serpent Bumper Book of Magic is a blast. Just be weary of manifesting any unintended consequences/results ;)

Loved 'Voice of the Fire'. As good a blend of archaeology, myth, psychogeography, fiction writing & synchronicity that a field-archaeologist with a distinct bias against Anglo-Saxon cultural imperialism could find.

(And huge respect to the bloke for his dedication in exploring paganism & the occult in this increasingly synthetic world)

(And huge respect to the bloke for his dedication in exploring paganism & the occult in this increasingly synthetic world)

Very true. Can't imagine he thinks much of social media and all the Silicon Valley start-up shits. It's like the polar opposite of the world he inhabits.

That writeup sounds reallt interesting, wasn't too aware of this project, definitely gonna have to seek this out.

Funny, I've just gotten into Moore after seeing Watchmen recently. I've since been listening to his interviews with Stewart Lee on Youtube. Bit unsure about Lost Girls but happy to give this a go.

His run on Swamp Thing is fantastic...

That writeup sounds reallt interesting, wasn't too aware of this project, definitely gonna have to seek this out.

His run on Swamp Thing is fantastic...

The first Swamp Thing issue he wrote, " Loose Ends", I'd never read writing like that in the comic genre before then. It was so groundbreaking for its time. It seems tame now though.

Archived