9. Oxygen Red (Feat. Anggun)

10. Confession of the Mind

11. Absolvo

12. Amen (Feat. Aquillo)

http://www.enigmaspace.com/newalbum

https://www.youtube.com/user/EnigmaSpace/videos

https://soundcloud.com/enigmaspace

[youtubehd]HHdylh210Ho[/youtubehd]

I didn't really enjoy the track on the first listen but it definitely grew on me quite a bit, though I'm not too sure about the vocals near the end.

mediocre and pedestrian come to mind. (i don't normally mess up release threads with my mean spiritedness but i figured that noone would mind if i bashed enigma that they'd be nobody's sacred cow).

mediocre and pedestrian come to mind. (i don't normally mess up release threads with my mean spiritedness but i figured that noone would mind if i bashed enigma that they'd be nobody's sacred cow).

The first album was pretty strong from what I remember but everything else was really meh. This is pretty good by Enigma standards IMO but that's not saying too much.

it's a bit cheez now but i still play it now and again. enter th time machine and we used to sit in th cars and listen to MCMXC a.D on drugs for hours. usually with orb, mom, 808state and 242 sandwiches and maybe skinny puppy tracs etc etc..

i probably shouldn't  even try this honestly.. it might poison th past, no?

Yeah MCMXCaD is pretty good, definitely daft in places but quite a strong atmosphere. The other three 90s albums have their moments but are too heavy on the pseudo-spiritual stuff. The three after that were absurdly bland though, just really dull downtempo stuff without any identity. This album seems to be returning to sampling religious music, and atmospheric stuff again - I liked the samples of the tracks on the website. But then I heard Sadeness Part II and really really cringed. Really embarrassing. The Bach sample is so fucking cheesy, even by Enigma standards.

Just listened to the soundcloud previews, I can only agree with the general opinion on here, it sounds so cheesy and lame (and jumping on the bandwagons), the first album was a classic, just the right balance of religous theme and in the zone dance music. I will always defend the first album as being really good no matter how much drivel he churns out after it. A real shame he lost his mojo so quickly, as many do.

• 5 weeks later...

This is the only Enigma you need 

I've got that album - The Long Play. Haven't heard it in years but classic 80s synth pop that I'm surprised isn't cited or mentioned more often.

This is the only Enigma you need 

I've got that album - The Long Play. Haven't heard it in years but classic 80s synth pop that I'm surprised isn't cited or mentioned more often.

Sandra is great! She was one of my favourite 80s pop stars. It's a little cheesy of course, but in the best way. She was married to Michael Cretu/Enigma and they worked together on the early Sandra stuff, as well as a few of the Enigma albums.

Almost all the tracks on this anthology are great fun.

Yeah, I actually went up into the attic and went looking for my vinyl of her first album. Damn. It's cheesy but so good. Lovely 80s production with all the classic synths from that time.

wz6p4NyY.jpg

I vaguely remember that she was involved with Cretu. You can trace the genesis of Enigma in the Sandra albums and hear the early inspiration for became Cretu's later work. I actually love her first album. It's just got so much 80s synth goodness on it.

• 2 weeks later...

This album has grown me after a few listens. Considering the style is basically what passed for commercial new-age back in 1990, it's kind of weird to hear this now. There are some nice moments on here but that track 'Sadeness (Part II)' is horrific in a way that even eclipses current Machine Drum efforts.

I hope Cretu licensed that Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

Apparently he played it himself. The composition itself is long in the public domain, of course.

I might download this still. The three mid-00s albums were so uninspired but I'd like this to be of the same quality as The Screen Behind the Mirror, at least.

Archived