IGNORED

The NAMM 2017 thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the help but dang, can't seem to see it.

The top item is the PO-32 launch special

Maybe i can't see it because I'm on my phone... Shall have a proper browse on a compu later

okay but just be aware it's literally just the word "add" with no underline or any indication that it's a link. 

launch specialPO-32 tonic + microtonic vst $ 139
explore    add    view accessories

of course it shows underlined on this forum...

also could potentially be a regional thing? perhaps there is separate stock in irelend that is exhausted meanwhile there's still some in usa usa

thx obama

that sounds great. looks like they're sold out now. mine should arrive by late saturday. i've been messing with the microtonic vst demo in the meantime. it's almost too easy to make it sound good. 

It seems like the PO-32+VST edition is sold out, regular edition is still available on their store.

You can sample everything and anything in the PO-32 right ?

that sounds great. looks like they're sold out now. mine should arrive by late saturday. i've been messing with the microtonic vst demo in the meantime. it's almost too easy to make it sound good. 

It seems like the PO-32+VST edition is sold out, regular edition is still available on their store.

Not a sampler... the mic is purely for parameter data reception

no. it's not a sampler. the microphone is for listening to modem style data transfers that take sounds out of the microtonic vst (or other po-32s).

seriously though, transferring sounds into it is one of the most fun parts of the machine so far :)

Not a sampler... the mic is purely for parameter data reception

Oh, too bad. I thought microtonic was just one of the tools you could use to fill the PO with sounds. No doubt it's still an incredible piece of hardware but that's kind of a bummer to me :(

Oh, too bad. I thought microtonic was just one of the tools you could use to fill the PO with sounds. No doubt it's still an incredible piece of hardware but that's kind of a bummer to me :(

I think the way they are playing this they want to lead you to believe that they are going to release a sampler version too. Kind of like when Elektron started tweaking their form factor a bit.

I would also hazard a guess that if they do, the sampler is going to use a similar data transfer method to the PO-32, rather than allowing sampling through the mic or line input. I can't imagine them creating a sampling or sample management interface in the PO form factor. If they do, though, it might be a volca sample killer for a lot of people (not me, though).

I think the way they are playing this they want to lead you to believe that they are going to release a sampler version too. Kind of like when Elektron started tweaking their form factor a bit.

I would also hazard a guess that if they do, the sampler is going to use a similar data transfer method to the PO-32, rather than allowing sampling through the mic or line input. I can't imagine them creating a sampling or sample management interface in the PO form factor. If they do, though, it might be a volca sample killer for a lot of people (not me, though).

Yeah probably. A "pure" sampler probably wouldn't fit in the PO line-up (I mean, every device seems very dedicated to a certain type of sound so releasing a real sampler might kill that "philosophy").

transferring sounds into it is one of the most fun parts of the machine so far :)

That's not very encouraging... 

well it's really the only unique feature isn't it? otherwise it's just another po drum machine and a vst that's been around for a while

Haven't been following the Namm thing, but saw something about Stevie Wonder playing Spectrasonics Keyscape, so checked out the vsti's youtube page admiring the keyboarding chops of their demo testers, like;

Sweet! I was expecting more shit-icing on this shit-cake of a week but my PO-32 actually arrived today! This thing is fucking dope, even without downloading MicroTonic the built-in sounds are way more expressive and higher quality than the PO-12. The synth engine seems to be both really high quality and capable of a big variety of sounds including quite a bit of weirdness. This one probably isn't going to need a whole lot of external processing to sound good, and with some the modulation and noise I bet you could even fake a fair amount of reverb, delay, etc. Also the effects are much more useful and performance-oriented.

The interface is also a lot nicer - the A/B now appear to be dedicated to the synth sounds so that when you change the BPM and swing they stay there, and it shows the swing setting in digits in the top-right. That digit display will also tell you when you switch between write ("Edt") and "Prf" mode, and how many retriggers you have on a step, probably some other things. Being able to parameter lock on a per-step basis makes this a hell of a lot more interesting for making full tracks with too. Even the animations are improved, they actually do kind of interesting stuff and tell a bit of a story so you can sit there and watch it. 

transferring sounds into it is one of the most fun parts of the machine so far :)

That's not very encouraging... 

well it's really the only unique feature isn't it? otherwise it's just another po drum machine and a vst that's been around for a while

On paper, yeah. But I think this is a real winner for what it actually is. Sure, it's based on a couple things that already exist but I think it's pretty damn interesting - great great balance between expressiveness and accessibility. This is probably already the most badass noisemaker that you can fit in your pocket that isn't a phone.

At first I was wondering if they're actually going to sell more of these after the bundle deal ends. Like, I wouldn't buy this without MicroTonic - I've wanted the VST for ages but couldn't justify the $99 price to myself and this was a no-brainer. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, the transfer method was pretty brilliant for those who don't actually care about making their own sounds and just want to play with other people's kits. It's super easy to share sounds with people with this silly little microphone.

Will report back after I live with this thing for a while, make some patterns and kits, etc.

Cool! I'm glad it sounds good. Not sure if I'll end up buying one, but the form factor of the POs is great, and it seems to have room for more variety in sound than the others, so maybe someday :P

Meanwhile I'm still super keen to read/hear more about digitakt..

Archived