IGNORED

The NAMM 2017 thread

d-a-m-o

Yeah, that's all likely correct sheathe. It does look interesting and the comparison to the Pyramid is apt, but I've just personally got zero use for it to sequence since Ableton can do all of what either the Digitakt or Pyramid can and lots more.

it's just nice to have a box that has a limited feature set of things you want that can't check email!!!

sorry, but i don't want to use a laptop performing! i have seen my share of laptop "musicians" and they look like theyir checking email!

email.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah if we're talking about using software, then Renoise can do all that the digitakt can and more. But it's not as fun as having a little box that can be played on the couch, away from the temptation to check email/facebook/watmm.

I also think comparing it to octatrack (or other elektron devices for that matter) isn't fair, since I can't justify getting an octatrack due to the sheer amount of features I just wouldn't use. Maybe the scenes thing is something I'd use, but tbh, the octatrack seems like it's such a learning curve to do anything on it..

Haha yeah I'm working in at least one section midway through my live set where I have a nice ambient break in the tunes and calm the crowd down for a few minutes, let some melodies drift, all so I can check my email. It's not something I can let go for even thirty minutes otherwise I'm off schedule. ;D

But really when I say Ableton, I mean via Push/Faderfoxes. I don't touch the mouse when performing (in my room lol) it's all hardware.

The TE stuff looks great, especially the OP-Z, but realistically I'd have trouble fitting it in my setup without real MIDI. Unless it has bluetooth MIDI and I got an adaptor.. having said that though, it looks like something that could compose entire tracks, or at least play an entire live set without anything else.

Btw, this is that Mok software I mentioned on the last page. It seems like it could get cheesy/super sound-design-ish type style, but it really does sound pretty powerful despite all that.

https://youtu.be/91s5YD5WQA0

Interesting to see how they differentiate this with Serum (which seems to have a bit more power at the moment)

It would appear the new elektron isn't aimed at people who own one of their samplers or drum machines. Seems like a way to bring in new people to their ways. They have piqued my interest as someone who could never bring myself to drop the cash for an elektron. I am on the market for a hardware sampler around or under $1,000 though.

MPC live has me more compelled than anything at the moment, but i'm going to wait for extensive feedback after it drops.

The TE stuff looks great, especially the OP-Z, but realistically I'd have trouble fitting it in my setup without real MIDI. Unless it has bluetooth MIDI and I got an adaptor.. having said that though, it looks like something that could compose entire tracks, or at least play an entire live set without anything else.

it looks like it should be able to send midi over the usb-c (but probably will require a bunch of dongles/converters to get it to older gear). also i wonder if they'll be able to get it to match the ableton link standard or whatever for syncing wirelessly to other devices

Yeah I'm thinking either I just resample and slice it up, or just run it in sync with other stuff and maybe use external effects for varation. Using it with the Octatrack it's not a tough choice anyway, just need to use a volca to convert clock. Come to think of it, I might be able just use an OT cue output for sync... 

Microtonic in a PO is such a left-field idea. Could be pretty great... maybe even a game changer.

You want limited, modey? Try what im donig now... Import 10 samples in your mduw, 10 sec in total and try making whole tracks and albums only with those samples, no md's synth machines, no daw, no sw, no other hw, only mduw with a faw samples. Limited enough? ;)

P.s. Try with only 2 or 3 samples

Ha, sounds cool, might give it a try!

ok. i tryed it myself...me against the mduw. 8 channels, like the digitakt. 8 random samples, 4 seconds of total time, no additional synths or md's synth machines. i'm not saying it the best track ever, but it can be done and i've used maaaaybe 10% of the machine's possibilities

https://soundcloud.com/notein/habeay-fraa-test-pressinting-for-la-mmx-project

^sick track, bud

Thnx mayyn

cool! The benefit of the digitakt is that it can change sample per step without a workaround. That's a big one for me, coming from a tracker background.

Oh?! Didnt know that. Well, that teally is a big thing. Shall see...

Yeah I've got a bit of a thing for monophonic sample sequencing. In fact, I'd even love a single track sample sequencer, where you *really* have to get good with channel economy. Perhaps something in modular land would be good for that, but I don't know if I really want to get into modular, after seeing friends spend so much money on their rigs :P

fkn nice track though, great sounds!

Guest Chesney

That track is wicked xox, really love the groove!

You can do so much with just 8 tracks like that and it's a good workout to learn the machine.

Pretty sure I posted this before but this track was a quick thing doing the same kind of thing.

It's all just 5-6 samples taken from the YT trailer for requiem for a dream. Nothing else apart from a bit of Comp in the DAW.

That track is wicked xox, really love the groove!

You can do so much with just 8 tracks like that and it's a good workout to learn the machine.

Pretty sure I posted this before but this track was a quick thing doing the same kind of thing.

It's all just 5-6 samples taken from the YT trailer for requiem for a dream. Nothing else apart from a bit of Comp in the DAW.

wow really great man! it's incredible what's possible to do with so little material. i've found out that limitation is one of the strongest liberators of creative energy

wow really great man! it's incredible what's possible to do with so little material. i've found out that limitation is one of the strongest liberators of creative energy

yup, I think that's why I make some of my best stuff with just a gameboy and nanoloop

yup, I think that's why I make some of my best stuff with just a gameboy and nanoloop

"My freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one's self of the chains that shackle the spirit."

- Igor Stravinsky

OK, just went on the TE website and it seems like they announced the pricing of the PO-32 - 159€ with the microtonic VST (and it's a "launch special" price).
I expected something cheaper but then I saw the VST alone is worth roughly 100€ so I guess it's hard cutting the price down.
Looks ace tho !

Archived