IGNORED

birds

dingformung

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the northern mockingbird is quite an item.

A Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos harasses a Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis over Logan Square in Philadelphia. This image was shot 22 stories above ground. The Red-tailed Hawk is an adult that has a nest near the Art Museum. Cathedral Basilica is visible in the background

RTH-and-Mock-Chase-Wiki.jpg

With hundreds of songs in his repertoire and the stamina to sing for hours on end, the male Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) specializes in vocal excess. A masterful mimic, he mixes a variety of songs borrowed from other species with his own material to defend his territory.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, iococoi said:

With hundreds of songs in his repertoire and the stamina to sing for hours on end, the male Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) specializes in vocal excess

i had a Mockingbird outside my bedroom window kept me up half the night for two nights last week. felt bad for the guy as late in Spring as it is, but i was sure as fuck over it, as cool as the songs can be in moments. i guess he got laid or just moved on to try somewhere else. 

Few Hawks attack the Mocking-birds, as on their approach, however sudden it may be, they are always ready not only to defend themselves vigorously and with undaunted courage, but to meet the aggressor half way, and force him to abandon his intention. The only Hawk that occasionally surprises it is the Astur Cooperii, which flies low with great swiftness, and carries the bird off without any apparent stoppage. Should it happen that the ruffian misses his prey, the Mocking-bird in turn becomes the assailant, and pursues the Hawk with great courage, calling in the mean time all the birds of its species to its assistance; and although it cannot overtake the marauder, the alarm created by their cries, which are propagated in succession among all the birds in the vicinity, like the watchwords of sentinels on duty, prevents him from succeeding in his attempts. 

from: https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-america/mocking-bird

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cape/Southern Penduline Tit (Anthoscopus minutus)

They build elaborate nests, suspending them from branches using spiderweb, animal hair... the nests incorporate a false entrance to confuse predators. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthoscopus#:~:text=The true nesting chamber is,protect the eggs and nestlings.

• Like 4
  • Big Brain 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 7:13 AM, iococoi said:

the northern mockingbird is quite an item.

RTH-and-Mock-Chase-Wiki.jpg

I wish I had birds that song like this one close to my house... all I have is a microtonal wanna be one dove band right on the top of the antena of the house next to mine...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 7:06 AM, iococoi said:

Red-winged Blackbird

JS000001.gif

Pretty aggro critters. They’ve divebombed me while out biking and I’ve seen them attacking crows and bald eagles on numerous occasions.

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...