IGNORED

how do you suppose SAWII was made?

Guest Death and Taxes

Guest Death and Taxes

did he use a keyboard? soft synth? hardware?

or did he just remote view and mic up alien landscapes

they not have soft synths in 94?

do you think a computer was even involved?

Er, no. No soft synths in 1994.....Computer may have been involved for sequencing - maybe a Mac or an Atari. Probably all just done on hardware though....

Ive always wanted to know what synths were used. It has the warm smell of the analogue Roland synths about it, maybe jupiters, junos? I have no idea.

Guest AlexPallas

found this quote on there:

IMHO, 90% of aphex twins music sucks balls..

his ambient stuff is somewhat ok, but he's no Pete Namlook or Brian Eno

Guest blutac
Replying to how do you suppose SAWII was made?

My guess is with drugs, or perhaps lack of them considering its aphex

Guest AlexPallas
or did he just remote view and mic up alien landscapes

most likely

not too far off, he supposedly recorded these songs after waking up, they're sounds he heard in his sleep

def Casio FZ1 sampler (voice samples) also sampled drum loops via drum machine played slow on Casio FZ1 , I can hear the FZ1 filter, delays, pitch shifter, and synths, I would say Moog Memorymoog for sure, I dont buy the Jupiter 8 idea, but maybe a Roland system 100, but again the Memory Moog is my first bet, oh and maybe a Serge Modular system, I have one now and get very Aphex harsh sounds out of it

I actually find this to be the most annoying Phex album, much better stuff he has done...although there are some classics there

Richard def has a great early electronic colletion and knowledge of early electronic music.

The more I find rare early electronic music, i say Ahh ok Richard got this idea here and made it his own

not too far off, he supposedly recorded these songs after waking up, they're sounds he heard in his sleep

Yes, he tried composing while lucid dreaming, and then replicating the same tracks in real life:

...Broaching this subject of dreams, he becomes animated and talks a long streak. "This album is really specific," he says, "because 70 percent of it is done from lucid dreaming... To have lucid dreams is to be conscious of being in a dream state, even to be capable of directing the action while still in a dream. I've been able to do it since I was little," Richard explains. "I taught myself how to do it and it's my most precious thing. Through the years, I've done everything that you can do, including talking and shagging with anyone you feel that takes your fancy. The only thing I haven't done is tried to kill myself. That's a bit shady. You probably wouldn't wake up, and you wouldn't know if it had worked, anyway. Or maybe you would."

"I often throw myself off skyscrapers or cliffs and zoom off right at the last minute That's quite good fun. It's well realistic. Eating food is quite smart. Like tasting food. Smells as well. I make foods up and sometimes they don't taste of anything—like they taste of some weird mish-mash of other things. "

"About a year and a half ago," he says, "I badly wanted to dream tracks. Like imagine I'm in the studio and write a track in my sleep, wake up and then write it in the real world with real instruments. I couldn't do it at first. The main problem was just remembering it. Melodies were easy to remember. I'd go to sleep in my studio. I'd go to sleep for ten minutes and write three tracks - only small segments, not l00 percent finished tracks. I'd wake up and I'd only been asleep for ten minutes. That's quite mental."

"I vary the way I do it, dreaming either I'm in my studio, entirely the way it is, or all kinds of variations. The hardest thing is getting the sounds the same. It's never the same. It doesn't really come close to it. When you have a nightmare or a weird dream, you wake up and tell someone about it and it sounds really shit. It's the same for sounds, roughly. When I imagine sounds, they are in dream form. As you get better at doing it, you can get closer and closer to the actual sounds. But that's only 70 percent of it. "

(Interview with David Toop, in 'The Face', March 1994)

Guest αnalogue ψings
def Casio FZ1 sampler (voice samples) also sampled drum loops via drum machine played slow on Casio FZ1 , I can hear the FZ1 filter, delays, pitch shifter, and synths, I would say Moog Memorymoog for sure, I dont buy the Jupiter 8 idea, but maybe a Roland system 100, but again the Memory Moog is my first bet, oh and maybe a Serge Modular system, I have one now and get very Aphex harsh sounds out of it

I actually find this to be the most annoying Phex album, much better stuff he has done...although there are some classics there

Richard def has a great early electronic colletion and knowledge of early electronic music.

The more I find rare early electronic music, i say Ahh ok Richard got this idea here and made it his own

Dunno about the Memory Moog and Jupiter 8 - he wasn't that rich yet in 94. All the sounds on SAWII are very much "entry level" sounding, just crafted with flair and originality :)

People say they hear the Oberheim Matrix all over SAWII, and now that I have one, it's hard to argue. Even some of the presets sound like they could have been used on it. Also, the Matrix series does a pretty passable moog emulation, so that might be where you're hearing Memory Moog... Matrix also has the same filter chipd as the Juno/Jupiter, so it can sound a bit similat to them, especially when doing plinky sinewave melodic lead stuff...

You must remember back then you didnt need much money to own analogue synths, they were still very cheap on the secondhand market....Aphex def owned a Roland 100M, and Casio FZ10M

Dunno about the Memory Moog and Jupiter 8 - he wasn't that rich yet in 94. All the sounds on SAWII are very much "entry level" sounding, just crafted with flair and originality :)

People say they hear the Oberheim Matrix all over SAWII, and now that I have one, it's hard to argue. Even some of the presets sound like they could have been used on it. Also, the Matrix series does a pretty passable moog emulation, so that might be where you're hearing Memory Moog... Matrix also has the same filter chipd as the Juno/Jupiter, so it can sound a bit similat to them, especially when doing plinky sinewave melodic lead stuff...

Guest αnalogue ψings
You must remember back then you didnt need much money to own analogue synths, they were still very cheap on the secondhand market....Aphex def owned a Roland 100M, and Casio FZ10M

What's analogue about an FZ-10? :laughing:

Guest meatbingo

Well, back in 1994 I couldn't afford a decent analogue synth! I had to make do with a bloody Cheetah MS6! Like a poor man's Oberheim Matrix 1000. Actually, it did sound OK, but the point I'm making is that even in 1994, a Memory Moog or a Jupiter 8 would not have been cheap. I'm not saying that Aphex couldn't have bought them though. He definitely had an FZ-10M (as did LFO) because I used to have one and that sound is utterly recognisable.

Archived