IGNORED

Squarepusher Interview on Wellington (NZ) Radio

Guest LoveRhino

Guest LoveRhino

I tracked down the organ composer he mentioned; Olivier Massiaen (having not heard of him previously) and came across Complete Organ Works Volume 2, and even on the first track you can hear the DNA of Song: My Underwater Torch unravel.

Guest LoveRhino

Thanks for the kind words.

Yep. Gitbox rock. They've two albums on a New Zealand label called Rattle. I came across them on a compilation from Robert Fripp's (of King Crimson fame) label, Discipline. Only discovered they were Kiwi once I arrived here. The band leader, Nigel, is either US or Candian based out of Auckland. Have been meaning to tee up an interview after a couple of failed attempts while he was in Wellington for gigs. The track is from their second (and superior) album, Touch Wood. The whole album is pretty great.

Guest LoveRhino

If you are a fan after a listen, I can recommend the similar California Guitar Trio and League of Crafty Guitarists. The latter contains the former. Standouts are A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur and Yamanashi Blues as tracks. If you like the complex, polyrhythmic cyclical vibe you may also enjoy Nik Bärtsch. I've recorded an interview with him, which I'll be playing on my next show (May 25th). His bands Ronin (electric) and Mobile (acoustic) are astounding. Also worth a listen (but it's prog I tells you, so don't say I didn't warn you) is Discipline (the track from the album if the same name) and Vroom (from Thrak) and Red (from the album of the same name) by King Crimson. If I say anymore someone will staple a crimped blond wig and spandex to me while burning the word PROG LOVER into my forehead. :)

Minor "gripes" re the interview :)

1. Whats next for the pusher? (I know you asked about a z-machines tour, but its not happening so...)

2. Those Warp20 tracks....

Guest LoveRhino

Yeah. I was tempted to ask more (I had more questions). Interviews are all about flow. It flowed about as well as I could have imagined. I was happy with the results. You cannot please everyone. :)

Guest LoveRhino

Nice one for mentioning the Warp20 tracks. I'd never even heard of that gig or those tracks. I will give that full show a good solid listen. Cheers for that. I couldn't have asked about them as I did not know of their existence.

If you are a fan after a listen, I can recommend the similar California Guitar Trio and League of Crafty Guitarists. The latter contains the former. Standouts are A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur and Yamanashi Blues as tracks. If you like the complex, polyrhythmic cyclical vibe you may also enjoy Nik Bärtsch. I've recorded an interview with him, which I'll be playing on my next show (May 25th). His bands Ronin (electric) and Mobile (acoustic) are astounding. Also worth a listen (but it's prog I tells you, so don't say I didn't warn you) is Discipline (the track from the album if the same name) and Vroom (from Thrak) and Red (from the album of the same name) by King Crimson. If I say anymore someone will staple a crimped blond wig and spandex to me while burning the word PROG LOVER into my forehead. :)

Haha, I'm a big prog fan, so that's no problem at all. Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair are my favourite King Crimson albums. I consider Adrian Belew to be the best guitarist of all time (yeah, even over Fripp).

I'll check the other names out though, thanks!

Guest LoveRhino

Sweet. I am a long time (and lapsed obsessive) KC fan and, though intricate and complex, never rated Fripp's above many other guitarists. I always named Tom Jenkinson as the bass player in the greatest prog/fusion supergroup of all time, just barely beating Ralph Armstrong from Mahavishnu Orchestra Mark 2 and Rick Laird from MO Mark 1.

I was actually heavily into KC and MO when I discovered Squarepusher through FMWT and HND. They blew me away. Squarepusher, Aphex (via RDJ album) and Autechre (via LP5) was my introduction into listening to and making electronic music myself. It bridged the live instrument/ electronics gap for me.

Sweet. I am a long time (and lapsed obsessive) KC fan and, though intricate and complex, never rated Fripp's above many other guitarists. I always named Tom Jenkinson as the bass player in the greatest prog/fusion supergroup of all time, just barely beating Ralph Armstrong from Mahavishnu Orchestra Mark 2 and Rick Laird from MO Mark 1.

I was actually heavily into KC and MO when I discovered Squarepusher through FMWT and HND. They blew me away. Squarepusher, Aphex (via RDJ album) and Autechre (via LP5) was my introduction into listening to and making electronic music myself. It bridged the live instrument/ electronics gap for me.

Nice!

Haha, fusion supergroup! I never even thought of imagining one, but I'd love to hear him playing with Allan Holdsworth and Bill Bruford (or 70s Phil Collins). Just a nice tight power trio, if you could even call it that with the amount of noodling that would inevitably take place, hahah

• 2 weeks later...

Archived