IGNORED

Do you like this kind of music?

boris

So you and a friend get into your car and they notice your new Caustic Window LP professionally printed CDR case, designed by Joyrex™.

"Hey this is a cool design. The X's on the back look like swastikas though."

You respond, "Yeah, this is the newest kinda-release from Aphex Twin. It's a bunch of tracks from like back in 1994. Want to listen?"

And you pop it in. "Flutey" plays and they just sit and listen quietly. And then they say,

"Do you find this relaxing?"

You skip Track 2, and go onto "Mumbly", promising that it will be better and it has more going on.

"How do you think this is relaxing? This is annoying to me."

You skip to Track 12 ("101 Rainbows Ambient Mix") saying, "Here this is sort of ambient. Maybe this will be easier to listen to."

They reply that it is still annoying. Angered you then skip to "Phlaps" and let it play and they immediately get a look on their face as if you were showing them the sickest images you could find on the net.

So, what do you say to someone like that? How do you explain that you like this stuff? Why is Aphex Twin "good" and not just "quite good?"

Just curious about YOU guys. Don't give ME advice. Put yourself in the situation.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've given up trying to explain it many moons ago. If people don't get it, you're better off just leaving it at that.

You can't do it with explanation. The most 'success' I've had with it was getting them to listen to the same track more than once. It seems like the few friends I've showed it to like some level of prediction, so when they've listened to the same track a number of times they know what's coming next and so in that sense it becomes 'catchy'. I hope that makes sense, because it barely does to me. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on though. Because in all cases they don't really like it first time around, but it 'gets better' over time. One of my friends really likes The Tuss now. Doesn't care for the Aphex Twin stuff. Isn't that off.

That said, the first Aphex Twin track I ever heard was Vordhosbn, and I immediately fell in love with Drukqs. I thought it was the best thing ever beginning to end. Which is why I'm confused why it was his least hailed album. W/e.

So, what do you say to someone like that? How do you explain that you like this stuff? Why is Aphex Twin "good" and not just "quite good?"

Just curious about YOU guys. Don't give ME advice. Put yourself in the situation.

I would try to avoid playing this kind of stuff to people, in the first place.

I would try to explain that I like non-relaxing music and that while I think that their tracks usually have ugly and or weird sounds and melodies and they are weird composed, I find the result of the mixing of what they do, to be good music (Cant see the forest for the trees, maybe?).

I would try to avoid playing this kind of stuff to people, in the first place.

I would try to explain that I like non-relaxing music and that while I think that their tracks usually have ugly and or weird sounds and melodies and they are weird composed, I find the result of the mixing of what they do, to be good music (Cant see the forest for the trees, maybe?).

And, I just respect the likings and disliking of others. If they dont like it, thats fine.

Yeah. Most people..statistically... are into stuff like LMFAO or Imagine Dragons or Deadmau5, so it's kind of absurd to them when they want to listen to ez listening pop music you're like " HEY BROS LETS THROW ON SOME CAUSTIC WINDOW YEAH" Not referencing you or anything. Could be Death Grips you want to throw on.

Story of my life. Everytime I show people my music they just get weirded out :'(

I don't think it's possible to get them into it by throwing them into cold water, you need to start with more accessible tracks, like avril 14 or something.

The first Aphex Twin track I heard was Rhubarb, then Fingerbib, then On and Avril 14 etc. Also Windowlicker is probably easy for most beginners, cause it sort of makes fun of mainstream music and has some sounds that he might be familiar with.

You can't do it with explanation. The most 'success' I've had with it was getting them to listen to the same track more than once. It seems like the few friends I've showed it to like some level of prediction, so when they've listened to the same track a number of times they know what's coming next and so in that sense it becomes 'catchy'. I hope that makes sense, because it barely does to me. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on though. Because in all cases they don't really like it first time around, but it 'gets better' over time. One of my friends really likes The Tuss now. Doesn't care for the Aphex Twin stuff. Isn't that off.

That said, the first Aphex Twin track I ever heard was Vordhosbn, and I immediately fell in love with Drukqs. I thought it was the best thing ever beginning to end. Which is why I'm confused why it was his least hailed album. W/e.

And that. The first time you show them your music they might be more influenced by the fact they've never heard anything alike, more than by how they like it.

But if you can't get them into it, who cares? Music isn't everything.

And that. The first time you show them your music they might be more influenced by the fact they've never heard anything alike, more than by how they like it.

But if you can't get them into it, who cares? Music isn't everything.

Yeah to be fair, I had been listening to a lot of "idm" stuff without knowing it was labelled as such before I had really heard Aphex Twin. Was listening to lots of Flying Lotus and Radiohead and BoC. Theeeen I got into Aphex. Making such a stylistic jump between Deadmau5 and Aphex is crazy.

The first Aphex Twin track I heard was Rhubarb, then Fingerbib, then On and Avril 14 etc. Also Windowlicker is probably easy for most beginners, cause it sort of makes fun of mainstream music and has some sounds that he might be familiar with.

See the first Aphex Twin track I heard was "Peek 824545201" and I still could get into it. For me it was like, "I have never heard of anything like that before. Does this guy do anything even crazier?"

There is no objective truth in something being 'good music', musical taste tends to be culturally bred. Don't bother convincing or explaining to convert someone to your likes, rather understand why you like it.

rather understand why you like it.

That's what I'm asking you fuckers to try to explain why you like it yourself and youre all just tryin to give me advice or some shit cause you fuckin didn't read what I god damn posted. Cunts. Fuckin hate the lot of you.

I am banned from the radio at where I work after I put on V/Vm's Love-Sick collection of fucked pop song remixes and attempting to put on Fantomas' The Director's Cut. I still don't understand what the problem was... :cerious:

I put it down to different tastes: I have tastes, they're different.

IDM and particularly RDJ music must be dug lonely several times to get in, anyone listening IDM music sounding IDM at the first time will have that labrador look on you

and they will eventually say :

"yeah it's not bad, good for you ... lets put the radio(^x^') " and the new Avicii playing "this is good shit, do you like Avicii, he's good right ?"

been there done that

you oughta try getting them into venetian snares - horse and goat!

Yeah, well, Venetian Snares is absolute shit.

Isn't this pretty much the reaction of everyone listening to this kind of stuff for the first time?

No, I liked this from the beginning and got into this by myself. I remember the first time I got to hear Drukqs or RDJ Album or the Analords and I can assure you that I did not reject that at all, haha. With the more bizarre and old tracks (The stuff prior HAB), I got into them later on (They were slower that his DnB and not as bright and didnt have nice melodies as the Analords). But I think that I have a natural tendency to this kind of stuff. I even liked when CDs glitched out when I was little.

Archived