IGNORED

Do you like this kind of music?

boris

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just tell them "your musical taste is bullshit." Then they get out of the car and walk home. This is fortunate for them because I do not have a drivers license and end up crashing into the back of a bus on the next block with a smug grin on my face.

If i had to set out to show someone why I like aphex twin I would start with songs that dont have drums like cliffs, beskhu3pnm, rhubarb, or avril 14th to establish that he knows what he is doing and can make enjoyable sounds/melodies. Then to introduce what he does with drums I would go with girl/boy song, vordhosbn, or meltphace - maybe even slowed versions so that it doesn't sound like a random mess. His body of work is pretty diverse though, that would just be the path through my favorite parts of it.

If Aphex Twin is too weird for most people, I think it's safe to say there's no hope for my taste in music. I've always found it to be very accessible material.

There is no objective truth in something being 'good music', musical taste tends to be culturally bred. Don't bother convincing or explaining to convert someone to your likes, rather understand why you like it.

This is true for normals. Not for people that listen to music because they like music. As i've explained before on here, normals listen to music for very different reasons that have nothing to do with liking music, cultural reasons like the era that they were born in, what their social group is into, they only lock into this one experience despite the fact that the basic tenets of what they are hearing can be found in many diverse styles across the planet so they would be sure to find something else that they like in another genre. It's like these people are born without tastebuds essentially, but they trust what they put in their mouth based on what they have been trained associate with sustenance. It gives an emotional resonance because of the memories of experiences where the music was present, or due to the lyrical content, not because of the underlying music.

Whereas for the bulk of us here perhaps, no matter the 'culture' it was spawned from, it's all the same combinations notes ... melodies, timbres. People here would like a yak using it's arse to mimic it's rider's throat singing, if we liked the melody and the timbre. We have varying degrees of depth to our taste i've noticed and there are different areas of main interest that then resonates through everything that we might like. But it won't shut down that openness to all music.

When people ask me what kind of music that i like i say every genre, but just the best examples from each. People tend to find that strange and elitist. But whatever man. Also, coming off a six day shift and having been awake for nearly 24 hrs, i'm certain that i've explained this much better in the past so i'm sure it could be picked apart, but surely you get what i mean, the heart of it anyway. And i seriously don't bear the normals any ill will, they just weren't born with brains that could process music, or at least had a limited capacity to begin with so never developed that muscle, i don't know, that's for science to decide, but the fact of the matter is that my point stands, right now in the society that we live in most people don't like music, they really don't.

Isn't this pretty much the reaction of everyone listening to this kind of stuff for the first time?

No, I liked this from the beginning and got into this by myself. I remember the first time I got to hear Drukqs or RDJ Album or the Analords and I can assure you that I did not reject that at all, haha. With the more bizarre and old tracks (The stuff prior HAB), I got into them later on (They were slower that his DnB and not as bright and didnt have nice melodies as the Analords). But I think that I have a natural tendency to this kind of stuff. I even liked when CDs glitched out when I was little.

I used to like moving the dial between the static on the shortwave radio. Also using my voice to drift in and out of harmony with the 70 horsepower evinrude outboard motor that was powering our trips home to the cape when i was little. Roped my second youngest brother when i could into singing with me so i could get more tonal variation. All sorts of sounds just turned me on back then, some people just resonate to sound, develop a kinship to it. As people have stated, why bother explaining it. And if you do explain it, how can you be sure that the person that you've laboured for half an hour to like some artist, isn't just getting into it because you've set up the preconditions through your efforts to make it socially acceptable and so therefore listenable on that level. If they can't like something on their own that should be such a basic thing to their nature, they never will truly like it. heh.

I got to meet someone who is a famous harpsichordist apparently and she liked one of my tracks off Sleepy (dunkin donuts corporate etc. etc.), except for the 'farting' sounds. I also said I forgot if it was in 5/4 or what and she's like 'that doesn't matter as long as there's a steady pulse to the song that you can follow' and I'm like fuck yeah in my head. I emailed her one of the alarm will sound covers of aphex (meltphace 6 if curious). She seems pretty out there so she might like it at /least/ in that format (played with real instruments). Should have mentioned the supposed lucid dreaming thing with SAWII too because she's really into the idea that you have to realize a track in your head first if it's going to be something special

any tracks in particular you guys think a classical musician could get behind? (maybe a track from ICBYD)

So you and a friend get into your car and they notice your new Caustic Window LP professionally printed CDR case, designed by Joyrex™.

"Hey this is a cool design. The X's on the back look like swastikas though."

You respond, "Yeah, this is the newest kinda-release from Aphex Twin. It's a bunch of tracks from like back in 1994. Want to listen?"

And you pop it in. "Flutey" plays and they just sit and listen quietly. And then they say,

"Do you find this relaxing?"

You skip Track 2, and go onto "Mumbly", promising that it will be better and it has more going on.

"How do you think this is relaxing? This is annoying to me."

You skip to Track 12 ("101 Rainbows Ambient Mix") saying, "Here this is sort of ambient. Maybe this will be easier to listen to."

They reply that it is still annoying. Angered you then skip to "Phlaps" and let it play and they immediately get a look on their face as if you were showing them the sickest images you could find on the net.

So, what do you say to someone like that? How do you explain that you like this stuff? Why is Aphex Twin "good" and not just "quite good?"

Just curious about YOU guys. Don't give ME advice. Put yourself in the situation.

just tell your friend to listen to druqks and tell them caustic window wasnt released originally because it was his weakest material

i didnt read the thread but the guy that said he listened to flylo before he heard of aphex should be ashamed

A few days ago I sent a link to Ceephax's Probey's Poker video to a colleague at work. So far he hasn't even mentioned it. Lol.

I got some of my friends converted to Squarepusher (the more jazzy stuff) and Boards of Canada years ago but Aphex was probably a bit too harsh. Autechre was straight out of the question.

a lot of people think I'm weird enough without telling them about the music I listen too, I mean that would really be the nail in the coffin lol

Guest jasondonervan

When people ask me what kind of music that i like i say every genre, but just the best examples from each.

"What kind of music do you like?"

"I like music."

I think age might have something to do with it. I can appreciate SAW1, but as it's older than I am it's kinda from a era I missed and didn't grow up listening to. Same goes with Autechre's Incunabula. That might be one of the reasons I enjoy Druqks the most

Guest The Caustic Window

if you think its hard getting people into aphex twin, you oughta try getting them into venetian snares - horse and goat!

haha no, autechre. nobody likes autechre when they first listen.

just show em your best quality aphex on the best quality sound system. easy as that

I cater the music according to the people in my car. If I don't think I have anything that they would care for or I know nothing about their tastes, I put on CBC Radio 1.

Archived