IGNORED

Panda Bear vs. Grim Reaper

jules

This album has really been growing on me. Tons of color and character to it. Only two weak spots for me are Butcher Baker and Acid Wash. Those are the only tracks where it feels like 90% production and 10% originality - gets a bit muddy imo. But even then, Acid Wash still has an amazing vocal performance so that pretty much makes up for it.

in particular i think the back half of the album has pretty fantastic pacing, which is something his albums typically lack for me. on other albums i would always key in on a track or two, but here, once im at tropic of cancer I have to listen through to the end.

Agreed, shit is addictive. The pacing is great, totally sucks you in.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

.. this album is so good.

the pacing of the album alone makes it miles above tomboy I think... that album was enjoyable but a bit of a drag and I was kind of dreading having to listen to this one as well and finding it boring or plodding. but it's not at all!!

I just have... one.. tiny complaint and that is I wish the album was slightly "PHATTER". there's a pretty sweet emphasis on groovy beats and hip hop beats and shit going on in this album but half the time the beat is mixed so quietly in the mix it loses a bit of that groove and backs more just a backdrop for the psychedelic panda bear-esque song stylings. which is fine , of course. it's his album, his sound. but man, I just wish it took those beats and bass and really cranked it. I guess it's phat enough ... : |

overall, album is still brill and im not at all not enjoying it because of ^ or anything.

• 1 month later...

Archived