IGNORED

Panda Bear - Buoys - 02/08/19

jules

Oof – I've had this on my radar for a while but don't think I'd listened to any singles or samples until now. I find autotune really off-putting, and honestly I'm shocked it's still so prevalent. I can handle it in small doses or when it's less obvious or combined with other distortion/effects (again when it's less obviously autotune), but and after listening to 30-sec samples of the album I'm not sure I want to partake. 

^ i'd say most of the album fits your second decription, its often combined with other processing or effects to just make his voice sound weird.  That weirdness was offputting at first until it grew on me, but your mileage may vary..  I generally agree with your sentiments, for example i was super turned off by toro y moi's last 2 albums which use auto-tune in a pop-conventional manner.

The auto tune on this is not used how you think it is. It’s rather tasteful and could be even viewed as an effect, not necessarily sounding like your standard auto-tune.

Give it a shot, it’s a grower for sure.

but and after listening to 30-sec samples of the album I'm not sure I want to partake.

it’s a 30 minute album dude. take the time to listen to it.

As are many of the other thousands of albums in my ever-growing queue.  :wink:

• 6 months later...

my opinion of this album hasnt changed too much, which is to say, i still quite like it!  Its objectively not as strong as pbvgr, but i really appreciate that he is pushed a new sound and expanded on it for a whole album, rather than just churning out more of the same.  i can already sense a bit of cult status (kind of like discovering weird pop albums from the 80s where you go 'what were they thinking' but kind of dig it anyway) 

• 9 months later...
On 7/5/2020 at 9:25 AM, species8472 said:

animal collective released a new ep. it’s great and should be checked out. 

def a cool surprise ep. I’m really looking forward to hearing where their new album lands after hearing this. deakin supposedly did the production on the ep and i hope he does the album too. they are sitting on quite a bit of material 

Archived