IGNORED

Panda Bear - Tomboy

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

'tomboy' single and album

pitchfork says

The two-track "Tomboy" is the first in a series of limited-edition 7" singles that Panda is planning for different labels, all leading up to the release of a full-length, also called Tomboy. The singles will all be limited-edition, single-pressing vinyl affairs, and they won't be available digitally until the album comes out.

The single features two tracks, "Tomboy" and "Slow Motion". Panda recorded and produced both of them in his Lisbon studio. A press release indicates that these songs won't be as sample-based as Panda's last album, 2007's beloved Person Pitch.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hanratty

very curious. horribly gay name though.

panda bear? or tomboy? i think this is panda bear's biggest problem.

my only expectation is that i don't want another person pitch. it would be nice to hear the electronic sound animal collective has embraced fully utilized here.

let's face it - it could sound like anything. i guess thats what makes ac exciting.

I doubt he will try to do another person pitch. Maybe more like "I think I can" but with more guitar. Or just less dense.

oh and I think tomboy is the gay name. Panda is ok. So is there a date for this?

Guest bitroast

cool!

A press release indicates that these songs won't be as sample-based as Panda's last album, 2007's beloved Person Pitch.

cool!

Guest SyrFox

I saw him live in january, he was really good. He played almost only new material, and yeah, it didn't sound at all like Person Pitch. Much more simple - usually just a beat, some synth (he's got a Korg M3) and some guitar -, but super hypnotic and interesting. The first track had bass that made the whole room shake, wonder how that'll sound on the album... The track "Tomboy" was clearly the highlight of the set for me, so I'm quite excited for this single as well.

so there are probably bootlegs of new tracks then...

i could never get into young prayer despite loving campfire songs which is a much less going on record.maybe i'll give it another try. then again i cant get into any ac before campfire either

i would welcome another person pitch with open arms

see merriweather post pavillion

so there are probably bootlegs of new tracks then...

i could never get into young prayer despite loving campfire songs which is a much less going on record.maybe i'll give it another try. then again i cant get into any ac before campfire either

yea young prayer is painfully bad. i tried a few times.

here is a review from someone from a show in january (?)

Untitled 1 – Ah, another Panda prayer/chant type song. Bass is really heavy, melody is direct… this could make a good opener or closer to the new album. I’d expect a little more to it then.

Untitled 2 – Ooh, these drums are nice. I’m getting excited! And then the guitar comes in… this is pretty slick. O man, the melody is TOTALLY unexpected from Panda. Same with that chord progression. This is really interesting (in a good way). Though, now that it’s sinking in, I’m not sure how much more he can really do with this one. But that drum beat is killer. As I let the verse melody (the base, step-down, step-back-up note progression) sink in, I’m not quite as sure about it. Hurm.

Untitled 3 – Ah, I remember this part from the end of Surfer’s Hymn, yes. Another Panda prayer. Perhaps this is still part of Surfer’s Hymn (or maybe not) but he switched its place in the song. Either way, I like this one. Very pretty. It doesn’t feel like much of a song, though the melody at 1:40 is incredibly beautiful. Feels like it would make a great segue type song. Or maybe an Animal Collective song if they continue down the Bleed route. Anyways, beautiful.

Untitled 4 (Surfer’s Hymn) – This is one of my favorite Panda melodies. I wish he’d hold the last note of each line a bit longer, like in the ATP bootleg. But man, this is still a killer song. It’s so forlorn and sad, yet chill and relaxing (like a day on the beach). When I play the melody on the guitar a little slower it turns into a really sad song, but I digress.

Daily Routine – I like that he kept slowing it down. It’s like he keeps hitting snooze on his day. But ultimately I like the studio cut more. Still a good take, and nice to hear the song without a 9-minute outro.

Untitled 5 – ooOOOoooo! Fun beat to start, and then a twisty, plinky guitar line much like in I Think I Can. This is more like what I was expecting after hearing I Think I Can. Nice melody, as is to be expected I suppose from Panda Bear. This actually is somewhat similar to that most recent AC song, though this one might be a bit more interesting. I almost feel as if this song would be better served as a more upbeat song – a little faster, and with more and more varied drums to it.

Untitled 6 – Not much to say about this one. Chill, but that’s about all I have to say about it. That, and it sounds like a good dream.

Untitled 7 – We will, we will rock you- o wait, he started singing, and it’s not Queen. Another chill jam. Better melody than the last one, and I liked that one. Wow, what a high note. Impressive. That song was chill as shit.

Untitled 8 – Ah, a seemingly more upbeat song! This is exciting! Indeed, this is killer. Almost reggae, with that interjecting guitar. This song was awesome.

Untitled 9 (Final song from ATP) – WOAH, where did that beat come from?! It’s like an entirely different song now! Way better than the last time I heard it. Indeed, it seems more fleshed out. That guitar line is pretty sick too… It’s got an almost middle-eastern quality to it.

Untitled 10 – This is balling. Probably the only song I wouldn’t want to see much change to. That drum beat is f’ing awesome. Probably my favorite song, as is, from the set.

Guest uptown devil

i love both ya son of a gun, but why would i want him to become animal collective?

yea young prayer is painfully bad. i tried a few times.

unlistenable.

i love both ya son of a gun, but why would i want him to become animal collective?

i was just trying to piss off maximus.

I saw him live in january, he was really good. He played almost only new material, and yeah, it didn't sound at all like Person Pitch. Much more simple - usually just a beat, some synth (he's got a Korg M3) and some guitar -, but super hypnotic and interesting. The first track had bass that made the whole room shake, wonder how that'll sound on the album... The track "Tomboy" was clearly the highlight of the set for me, so I'm quite excited for this single as well.

i think he made the same show here in portugal, it also started with the heavy bass

pitchfork again

The title track from Panda Bear's forthcoming LP Tomboy is out on limited edition 7" July 13 via Animal Collective's Paw Tracks label. Before the full record hits in the fall, there will be a few more similarly limited singles let out into the world. Those singles will each be on a different label, including including Kompakt, Domino, and Fat Cat. Spreading the wealth!

wonder if they will include remixes from their respective label rosters?

Archived