IGNORED

Is there a way in FL Studio (or any other DAW) to...

Brisbot

Is there a way in FL Studio or any other daw to record a separate audio clip for each midi? I feel like that should be a basic thing you could do, but I haven't been able to find out how in FL nor been able to find out how by googling. 

For clarification, I mean, say if you have a 4 note chord, you 'record' each midi seperately, and it gives you 4 audio clips of each note, when layered it should sound like the chord, though now you can go in and do more specific things. It doesn't take long to just mute each one and record individually, but by making it simpler to do so you'll do it more often since it's much easier.

By doing this you'd very quickly have access to the audio itself where you could layer it, or add fx to a specific note, or whatever. Instead of having to mute everything around it just to record a specific note, etc.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think this is possible (at least not in Logic) because how would you tell your DAW which tracks should pick up what notes?

I can maybe see you doing this using Kontakt by loading in instruments and assign each instrument to only pick up notes from specific octaves. But you'd have to record your melodies in very weird ways in order to achieve the desired effect...

That's true, though I definitely wouldn't mind this functionality even if you could only record all. It would make certain tasks easier, etc. You could also mute the ones you DON'T want in. So if you want to record most of the notes, it's a quicker process, you know?

tangent: You know I love kontakt, but the interface is very packed and at times confusing. I've read thru the manual before, and it's still confusing. It's one of those things that require lots of practice. I don't use the internals of it enough to get used to it. I wish there was a simplified version of it you could use for most of the times you'd use it, and the complex version for the occasion you need to.

And your method while it would work-ish, is seems as much work as muting each one individually.

Yeah, maybe make an instrument rack in ableton with however many instances of the same sound, place a midi filter in front of each instance and route the audio to separate tracks for recording.

If you give each note a different color in the piano roll you can then use patcher + vfx color mapper to send each color to its own channel. 

I knew I'd find a use for the color thing one day. This seems like a good half fix! I could color code the midi in such a way that the midi's release doesn't overlap with the next, and quickly get half and half each midi note on 2 or 3 different tracks. Then color code the chords differently. Tho, it's still only speeding up the process somewhat. Not the ideal solution, but a step up definitely.

There are other good suggestions, even better for other DAWs but switching DAWs is a last resort kind of thing. I really wanted a way to speed up the process. 

Thanks to you all for replying!

or multiple tracks, use ghost notes in the piano roll so uyou can see each track in one view.  FL has smart disable on unused plugs so you shouldnt get too much cpu use

or multiple tracks, use ghost notes in the piano roll so uyou can see each track in one view.  FL has smart disable on unused plugs so you shouldnt get too much cpu use

Well Tiny Rick, I could, but I am also looking to make it quick. I've managed to make it quick'er' but not as fast as it could be.

You can even double right-click on a ghost note and you'll switch to that channel, pretty handy feature in all. 

Well I know that. :P Even though I've been using FL for a while now there are still a few stones left unturned as a DAW. It would be great to have list of features for each daw comparing them to see if there is anything better about other DAWs. Better enough to switch anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

For "recording all the notes"- well, freezing a track automatically bounces that track, so there is that.  As for individual notes...  I believe this MIGHT be possible in Logic's environment.  From a few versions ago, Apple hid the Logic environment thing as a secret/background kind of screen that nobody needs to use, but in it- besides adding midi delay, creating arpeggiators, etc.- I believe it's possible to setup the MIDI input/output in a way that individual notes can be output to different sends.  So you could actually have every single note go to respective tracks.

For "recording all the notes"- well, freezing a track automatically bounces that track, so there is that.  As for individual notes...  I believe this MIGHT be possible in Logic's environment.  From a few versions ago, Apple hid the Logic environment thing as a secret/background kind of screen that nobody needs to use, but in it- besides adding midi delay, creating arpeggiators, etc.- I believe it's possible to setup the MIDI input/output in a way that individual notes can be output to different sends.  So you could actually have every single note go to respective tracks.

Thanks for the info! Freezing it can be an issue, since the recording itself will stop. so if there's a long release on the midi note... yeah.

I find it interesting how hidden some features can be. FL studio has many features hidden in nooks and crannies that i use quite often. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived