IGNORED

Save Fabric

Soloman Tump

I did see that some muslim guys had raided a long standing gay bar and beaten up the patrons on one of their sharia patrols. How frequent is that kind of thing. I do know that property developers don't like live venues either. What was the go ?

I'd stopped going to fabric long ago out of fear of musulman patrols

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes yes, there is nothing wrong with our liberal and tolerant western society and everything is wonderful .. if it was fundamentalist (unfun and very mentalist) christians doing their crack down on fun thing in the '80's that would be called out too. Things happen, they're not always nice and sometimes the group the does them is mentioned, deal with it or like with that priest during the nazi era stated, perhaps at some point we'll come to regret our silence (or worse, complicity).

yes yes, there is nothing wrong with our liberal and tolerant western society and everything is wonderful .. if it was fundamentalist (unfun and very mentalist) christians doing their crack down on fun thing in the '80's that would be called out too. Things happen, they're not always nice and sometimes the group the does them is mentioned, deal with it or like with that priest during the nazi era stated, perhaps at some point we'll come to regret our silence (or worse, complicity).

I've lived in east London for about 5 years in a bit where there are loads of musulmen, and despite my best efforts -intentionally dressing up all gay and blowing kisses and stuff- I've never once been stopped by a sharia patrol. They usually just ignore me and carry on taking their kids to school

I've never really stepped into the free party scene, mainly because there's not much going on locally. Quite a few parties out west country and Somerset way, but that's because their nightclubs are shit.

I'd rather pay a tenner to get in somewhere knowing that the old bill arnt gonna turf me out into the countryside at 3am.

while British dance music heritage owes a lot (if you read Mixmag) to pay party venues & the commercial structures that underpin them, the soul of the beast has always, always, been with the free-party movement

maybe its a generational shiftm but if you look at a city like Nottingham, with the entire Peak District on its backdoor-step, there were countless opportunities in that general vicinity....the capitol doest quite have the same degree of access, although it does have a huge advantage when it comes to squats & buildings that might be possible venues and you wouldnt have true icons like Andrew Weatherall plying their trade without these category of liminal formats initially

it all depends how "safe" & contained you want from your hedonism & how easy it is to rely & fall back on the corporate venue pay structure, although again some commercial nights have pioneered specific fields in dance music. Thinking The Orbit in Leeds for techno, DiY's mobile "Bounce" & "Floppy Disco" for House, countless Brighton venues that reinvigorated techno in the mid-late 90's (see Christian Vogel, Justin Berkovi & Ibi Alfa), all the Bristol venues n pubs that helped pioneer not on British Soul & Hip-Hop with the Wild Bunch and then their successors Massive Attack, but d&b.....

it takes more collective cohesion than a lot of folks have to give with time/work balancing, inclination and/or families to juggle, so to get things off the ground & to even begin to build what might be later regarded as a community, something tangible that doesnt just dissipate when the lights go on due to a paid entry fee, takes dedication, an active agenda and quite a bit of luck too

is Fabric "a community"? not really, only in a very limited socially ephemeral sense that doest justify the narrow selection of music played & the drinks tabs

imho nothing beats dancing under the stars to quality tunes, aka true liberation through fun, but that just me

Mancuso started one of the greatest swing yer pants night in music history in his own loft, w/out mixing records and where every track was played from start 2 end complete with interruptions, laid on food, kept it discrete (and thats critical here compared to a brand like Fabric which has international recognition), encouraged the human zoo factor as the ultimate experimental mixing machine & all on a budget of a few bucks

history shows theres always a way

Cwmbran gotta say I always love reading your posts, always insightful :)

Dunno if this has been posted yet, lolworthy torygraph article which I only discovered after seeing goldie calling the author a cunt on twitter :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/dont-blame-developers-for-londons-shrinking-nightlife--its-the-c/

It's funny how the article acts like drugs have only just been invented, in the meantime the author probably has a line in the pub toilets after a long lunch to get him going again at work for the rest of the afternoon. These people know that they're full of shit, they just write whatever the editorial staff tells them to have a go at. The purpose here was to get the reader to dismiss any legitimate grievance those supporting fabric may have, the reader thinks, "oh it's just a bunch of druggoes, good riddance". And so community solidarity is splintered into smaller, more manageable pieces. And everyone at sometime loses something precious, but when it happens, not enough people care for it to be a problem for the powers that be.

while British dance music heritage owes a lot (if you read Mixmag) to pay party venues & the commercial structures that underpin them, the soul of the beast has always, always, been with the free-party movement

maybe its a generational shiftm but if you look at a city like Nottingham, with the entire Peak District on its backdoor-step, there were countless opportunities in that general vicinity....the capitol doest quite have the same degree of access, although it does have a huge advantage when it comes to squats & buildings that might be possible venues and you wouldnt have true icons like Andrew Weatherall plying their trade without these category of liminal formats initially

it all depends how "safe" & contained you want from your hedonism & how easy it is to rely & fall back on the corporate venue pay structure, although again some commercial nights have pioneered specific fields in dance music. Thinking The Orbit in Leeds for techno, DiY's mobile "Bounce" & "Floppy Disco" for House, countless Brighton venues that reinvigorated techno in the mid-late 90's (see Christian Vogel, Justin Berkovi & Ibi Alfa), all the Bristol venues n pubs that helped pioneer not on British Soul & Hip-Hop with the Wild Bunch and then their successors Massive Attack, but d&b.....

it takes more collective cohesion than a lot of folks have to give with time/work balancing, inclination and/or families to juggle, so to get things off the ground & to even begin to build what might be later regarded as a community, something tangible that doesnt just dissipate when the lights go on due to a paid entry fee, takes dedication, an active agenda and quite a bit of luck too

is Fabric "a community"? not really, only in a very limited socially ephemeral sense that doest justify the narrow selection of music played & the drinks tabs

imho nothing beats dancing under the stars to quality tunes, aka true liberation through fun, but that just me

Mancuso started one of the greatest swing yer pants night in music history in his own loft, w/out mixing records and where every track was played from start 2 end complete with interruptions, laid on food, kept it discrete (and thats critical here compared to a brand like Fabric which has international recognition), encouraged the human zoo factor as the ultimate experimental mixing machine & all on a budget of a few bucks

history shows theres always a way

yeah good post, I was drunkenly drifting over a few posts of my own replying to this^^^ late last night

in the end I nuked 'em, sometimes its best that way :sleep:

• 1 month later...

good stuff. onya Lunnon'ers, the serious and co-ordinated response was well admirable. if that happened in Sydney we'd just cry a bunch and let it go - ffs Sydneysiders piss me off sometimes.

My only worries now are:

fears of dwindling attendance due to punters worrying about the Big Brother surveillance.

And

Punters necking all their drugs in the queue on the way in, and there will be more ODs in there.

Time will tell

Archived