IGNORED

Save Fabric

Soloman Tump

I wonder how many people have died from overdoses in the toilets of westfield shopping centres. This therefore makes the shopping centre liable according the the logic of the islington town council. Of course they weren't using reason or logic or a sense of fair play and live and let live, they were working to an agenda and nothing was going to get in the way of that. I've been a party to something similar, and it sucks, doesn't matter how in the right you are legally, when the powerful want something they will get it. Some countries are more overt in their oppression of the people whilst others more covert. So on one hand you have China driving over a protester with a tank, or rounding up cultists and executing them to harvest their organs and the other you have no nightclub to dance in, heheheheh.

cwmb is right though, just make another venue. It is an unjust financial kick in the teeth for the proprietors though, and may discourage people from taking the risk of starting these types of ventures in the future. Then again what was the main problem ? Did they want to develop the land or is there some crusade against fun that is going on in London. I did see that some muslim guys had raided a long standing gay bar and beaten up the patrons on one of their sharia patrols. How frequent is that kind of thing. I do know that property developers don't like live venues either. What was the go ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they should just move to Birmingham or Manchester or something...fuck London man, place is fucked. Going to turn into a miserable rainy version of Monaco within a couple decades. Party's over, get out now people... Loads of wicked other cities in the UK that I'm sure would make a lovely new home for lots of people and businesses alike.

"Is Control controlled by its need to control?"

Answer - "Yes"

Surreal a place associated with 2 deaths gets closed, when the Metropolitan Filth are linked to many more & you could list any number of areas of social life associated with the occasional mortality hiccup

People should get off their arses & organize alternative methods/venues, the fact a 'super' club gets canned shouldnt be the end of anything, there was night life long b4 Fabric & there will always be options with enough imagination & will-power

well the uk is the health & safety capital of the world  so the verdict doesn't surprise me 

they should just move to Birmingham or Manchester or something...fuck London man, place is fucked. Going to turn into a miserable rainy version of Monaco within a couple decades. Party's over, get out now people... Loads of wicked other cities in the UK that I'm sure would make a lovely new home for lots of people and businesses alike.

Bristol gets my vote.

Honestly they could open up 2 or 3 smaller UK venues and fucking get out of London forever.

it's great that this discussion is even being had in a (virtually) public space like this and that there is a concerted push back against this sort of thing. we've basically watched Sydney's nightlife get torn down in front of us for the same ill-disguised reasons and everyone in this town is too toothless to do anything about it except organise the odd polite rally with the police's permission.

we've basically watched Sydney's nightlife get torn down in front of us for the same ill-disguised reasons and everyone in this town is too toothless to do anything about it except organise the odd polite rally with the police's permission.

There are a bunch of ridiculous new laws over there around buying wine and spirits or something? Problems with late licenses as well?

Australia seems to be full of so called "public health" campaigners, who emboldened by actual successes with tobacco control have gone a bit mental when it comes to everything else (e.g. alcohol, e-cigs, sugar). There's little in the way of good science to back up what they do these days though (and they're rarely actually qualified to even evaluate the science, let alone conduct proper research), they're mostly motivated by dogmatic political nonsense by the looks of things.

They're a growing lobby over here now as well, though they're finding it a bit tougher to get anything enacted. If they had their way all alcohol sales would be controlled by the government, and they'd be able to limit what people can consume and where. They tend to be fairly pro ending the war on drugs, but I can see them flip flopping on that once big business eventually gets involved (tobacco companies will almost certainly invest a lot of money in weed in the near future).

So they launched a fundraiser to help with the legal fees.

They have got over £100,000 in under 2 days! Not a bad start

link please

http://www.fabriclondon.com/save-culture

Now over £150k.

£30 of which is from me.

Radio one has a show at 9pm tonight about fabric and club culture struggling.

It's great that this still has momentum, I hope public opinion can turn this around.

i'm far away from supporting its closure, "but when i were a lad" we lugged soundsystems all across this cuntry, charged fuck all apart from a bucket whip round on a sunday afternoon after chugging through from friday night, cleaned up the various sites on leaving & had an incredible time in the process

eg: anyone old enough to remember Castlemorton or indulged in the free-party environment at all?

all the so-called bastions of commercial ventures have come & gone, but has the music and ability to swing yer pants disappeared off the planet?

far from it

British dance music culture has been throwing shindigs for decades, why the closure of Fabric is any sign of cultural malaise is mainly down to your angle of perspective and your commitment to DOING IT YOURSELF

London has enough of a cultural monopoly as it is so if this means that folks in the south east have to look a bit further afield, well, look what soundsystems like DiY & even Spiral Tribe achieved when disengaging from the "pay party" structure......

again, not advocating the closure, more a point about McDonalds-esque cultural aesthetics being taken as something underground to even begin with

But throwing a party yourself generally means it's going to be shut down unless you go out into the middle of a field somewhere, no?

Depends on how you categorize dancing under the stars. If you see it as "look, my best trainers are filthy" then its prob not the best option, but if yer creative enough, theres always a way & bringing a club attitude to rural/outdoor locations is quite an intoxicating mix. Granted, there's now been infamous legislationciting "repetitive beats" in effect to prevent such "treasonous acts", but it never stopped the truly committed. Case in point, DiY celebrated their 25th Birthday a few summers ago & well worth a read regarding attitude and dedication to the cause:

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/title/diy-soundsystem/id/6881

And to add a bit of perspective here & inject some gravitas, Desert Storm Soundsystem's founder Keith Robinson ended his own life recently in the Thames. Despite the tragedy here, if you read what his rig did during its epic reign of chaos it kinda puts the likes of Fabric and quite a few others in their respective place. An incredible life and journey:

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/08/desert-storm-soundsystem-feature

couldnt edit, but to add a good piece on DiY and their legacy this a better article & illustrates why certain club closures are more brief sabbaticals compared to actually garotting the Man in the proverbial trenches:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/diy-25th-anniversary-scott-oliver-125

also if yo've heard about or attended any events by San Fran's Wicked crew, ie: British ex-pats who came out of DJ Harvey et al's TONKA Soundsytem collective and their approach, it again illustrates just about anything is possible:

http://www.magneticmag.com/2016/07/the-rave-pioneers-catching-up-with-san-frandiscos-wicked-sound-system/

i'm far away from supporting its closure, "but when i were a lad" we lugged soundsystems all across this cuntry, charged fuck all apart from a bucket whip round on a sunday afternoon after chugging through from friday night, cleaned up the various sites on leaving & had an incredible time in the process

eg: anyone old enough to remember Castlemorton or indulged in the free-party environment at all?

all the so-called bastions of commercial ventures have come & gone, but has the music and ability to swing yer pants disappeared off the planet?

far from it

British dance music culture has been throwing shindigs for decades, why the closure of Fabric is any sign of cultural malaise is mainly down to your angle of perspective and your commitment to DOING IT YOURSELF

London has enough of a cultural monopoly as it is so if this means that folks in the south east have to look a bit further afield, well, look what soundsystems like DiY & even Spiral Tribe achieved when disengaging from the "pay party" structure......

again, not advocating the closure, more a point about McDonalds-esque cultural aesthetics being taken as something underground to even begin with

spiral-tribe-23-face-sp23.jpg?w=549

far from it

I don't think (much of) watmm goes to underground dance parties in the sticks. They're out there regular like, but you've gotta be part of that scene i guess and it takes a bit more work to drive out there, camp, etc. There is something to be said for just being able to go to somewhere like fabric though innit. You're in town, you don't wanna go to some random douche hole and are up for some decent tracks. nwae. I agree and stuff, but am annoyed that underground culture is always seen as unimportant, but the house some random wack painter got drunk and and scratched onto canvas scrambled odes to his dementia in, make that a bloomin' landmark. It's like those same people of the mainstream that dominated culture in school still can't let you have you little piece of the nation to yourself without them having an input on it's relevance and acceptability now that we're all adults. "oh it makes me uncomfortable because it's not what i like so banish it". ya noe.

my two doubloons.

I'm too old for the free party scene now but yea that was all still going on down south west in the 00s. Living in London now it's difficult to think where you could even do it but I bet it's happening somewhere...all the crusties living on canal boats in east london definitely look like they know what's up ;)

Archived