IGNORED

How to get a rock fan into electronic music?

SeparateHold

2 hours ago, ghsotword said:

I was a fan of Nirvana and punk rock before I started listening to electronic music (20 years ago). The often recommended transition of [rock music -> rock music with electronic elements -> industrial -> electronic music] absolutely didn't work for me. I had heard bands such as NIN, Skinny Puppy and Prodigy and didn't like them. The tracks of Aphex that are usually recommended as the first things to listen to also didn't work: I was unimpressed with Windowlicker, Come to Daddy and SAW1.
The things that caught my interest were the things that sounded the most unfamiliar to me: Confield and post-Confield Autechre, the weirdest BoC album interlude tracks, and glitchy minimalist music from netlabels such as Autoplate.

Gotcha! That's interesting. I'll try 

17 hours ago, beerwolf said:

just give your mate a chunk of MDMA and take him/her off their face to a fucking rave

hey presto!! job done

I can confirm this works. However, this should only be used as a last resort, or under strict supervision of a musicologist. My group lost contact with a good  friend - he had good taste in indie and alt rock - once he found the MDMA. He started going to really shit clubs, and listening to god awful dance music, he didn't care a jot for Autechre, Aphex, Detroit Techno... 

Be warned. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

He started going to really shit clubs, and listening to god awful dance music, he didn't care a jot for Autechre, Aphex, Detroit Techno... 

lol reminds me of some of the raver set I hung around in the late '90s. they HATED BoC, Ae, etc. not enough donks I guess... 

to the OP: try DJ Shadow - Endtroducing if they've never heard it. yeah it gets classified as instrumental hip hop, but that IMO is a good example of a crossover album that could lead toward an interest in more electronic sounds. folks I knew back in like '98/'99 with varying musical tastes all loved it.

Edited by zero
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, zero said:

lol reminds me of some of the raver set I hung around in the late '90s. they HATED BoC, Ae, etc. not enough donks I guess... 

to the OP: try DJ Shadow - Endtroducing if they've never heard it. yeah it gets classified as instrumental hip hop, but that IMO is a good example of a crossover album that could lead toward an interest in more electronic sounds. folks I knew back in like '98/'99 with varying musical tastes all loved it.

Can also confirm all my rave, DnB mates never liked/understood BoC, Ae, Aphex (maybe an ambient track). Like you said prob not enough UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, zero said:

Good shout on Endtroducing. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:17 AM, SeparateHold said:

Any recommendations on artists/albums/genres/songs to share to pique their interest?

What about trying out bands like NIN, Filter, KMDFM, Skinny Puppy, The Young Gods...? And early Ministry, though not too early. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
typo correction

I was just listening to Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia off YT, to see if I could recommend anything for OP's friend. Towards the end that song gets intense with lots of guitar effects. During that last minute or so, I thought I also heard a few analog synth like sounds, so I thought, ah ok "if there's distortion mayhem and some electronicky synth like sounds then surely they could enjoy listening to" and then I realised - I was listening to LP5 earlier and had forgotten it kept playing at the background, so the hidden track past Drane2 kicked in and merged with Dead Kennedys.

Do exactly that with your friends.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, beerwolf said:

just give your mate a chunk of MDMA and take him/her off their face to a fucking rave

hey presto!! job done

LMAO

Thanks for all the recommendations folks, I have alot to work with. I'll report back within the next few days but I also don't want to overwhelm my buddy. 

• 2 months later...