Joyrex + Aphex = Falling out?

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Here's the fucking Reader's Digest version (again):

Me: Hey Richard (via email) Drukqs is "quite good" (emphasis on quotes is mine here only; the original was not quoted) and spending a lot of time in my CD player...

Richard: Who the fuck are you to say it's "quite good"? [....] And give back that copy of CAT023*

*Not really, added that bit in to "add flavour to the legend" laughing.png

Anyone care to enlighten me concerning the significance of "CAT 023"? I'm assuming it's some sort of fabled unreleased Aphex or something, but what do I know? Winner gets an Aphex umbrella.*

* As soon as they go on sale. ;)

Interesting, and illuminating. Maybe that's why he asked me for weed and then walked away after I started talking about coming to see him play. It all checks out on my end. Also, I was rolling quite hard so I have no idea how long I was staring at him blankly.

no new act could get away with saying half the shit aphex said about himself back in the 90s before wikipedia existed, and everyone had it, and could instantly look up whatever you said and call bullshit on it. or it would just seem so ridiculous that someone was trying to sell themselves by saying they see sounds or make synths in their dreams, that it just wouldn't work. when guys like ullillilia are memes, its just not impressive even if you do compose ambient tracks in your dreams with synths that work just like the real ones. ullillilia is afraid of red stuff because it resembles lava from super mario bros. wheres his million bucks

that shit doesn't impress anyone anymore because everyone has read all about synesthesia, lucid dreams, everyone has seen that crappy inception flick, and glanced at ullillilia's site and got confused just about how to look at his site. some new act tells an interviewer that they control their dreams and use that to make music and the interviewer will prob roll their eyes at them. and rightfully so. aphex would be mocked and ridiculed off the face of the planet if he sprung forth in this era and tried to float those stories out there. machinedrum cant even get away with wearing a crappy shirt. scrutiny is hard core now.

no new act could get away with saying half the shit aphex said about himself back in the 90s before wikipedia existed, and everyone had it, and could instantly look up whatever you said and call bullshit on it. or it would just seem so ridiculous that someone was trying to sell themselves by saying they see sounds or make synths in their dreams, that it just wouldn't work. when guys like ullillilia are memes, its just not impressive even if you do compose ambient tracks in your dreams with synths that work just like the real ones. ullillilia is afraid of red stuff because it resembles lava from super mario bros. wheres his million bucks

that shit doesn't impress anyone anymore because everyone has read all about synesthesia, lucid dreams, everyone has seen that crappy inception flick, and glanced at ullillilia's site and got confused just about how to look at his site. some new act tells an interviewer that they control their dreams and use that to make music and the interviewer will prob roll their eyes at them. and rightfully so. aphex would be mocked and ridiculed off the face of the planet if he sprung forth in this era and tried to float those stories out there. machinedrum cant even get away with wearing a crappy shirt. scrutiny is hard core now.

Yeah, but machinedrum's shirt doesn't fit. Like, if he were eating right and exercising his apparel wouldn't be so awkward. But to many it looks like a fat guy trying to be a skinny hipster. (no offense machinedrum. I like your music)

Also, Kanye openly claims to have synesthesia. Granted, he has made paintings proving it to some extent.

I really don't' see it as a stretch to claim to experience musical composition in a lucid dream state, or synesthesia. I've experienced both, but the latter only under the influence of psychedelics. I don't think it's a stretch for a lot of musicians to have claimed to experience such a thing.

In my opinion, there are other more obvious lies he has told.

at this stage, if deer isn't afx i'm going to shoot my computer and eat the bits

also, joyrex i'm curious as to how close the original messages were to what happened in your digest version. was rich really that cranky, swearing and all? i can understand a bad reaction to just 'quite good' considering how much time and effort he would have spent on those tracks but if you mentioned the whole cd player thing in the same sentence it'd be hard to see that as anything but a compliment.

also, posting in a 7 year old thread!

I think rich was mad at the fact that Joyrex was judging his work.

"No one has the right to judge anything" philosophy.

edit: also, fuck, 2007 was 7 years ago.

at this stage, if deer isn't afx i'm going to shoot my computer and eat the bits

also, joyrex i'm curious as to how close the original messages were to what happened in your digest version. was rich really that cranky, swearing and all? i can understand a bad reaction to just 'quite good' considering how much time and effort he would have spent on those tracks but if you mentioned the whole cd player thing in the same sentence it'd be hard to see that as anything but a compliment.

Yeah, there were a few f-bombs in the email - I don't have the account it was sent to back then anymore, but I do believe I have those emails archived on CD somewhere - I should try digging them out.

I thought the same thing at the time - I never intended "quite good" to be anything but a compliment (I'm not the type to gush over something with a bunch of superlatives - I think that's more offensive than simply saying you like something), but for whatever reason, he took it as an insult and made some comparison to as if he had called my first-born a subhuman piece of garbage (paraphrasing).

Oddly enough, a few years later he contacts me out of the blue when the whole "unreleased tracks" incident happened, and had even said I could release a few in full on the site since some of the others were due to be released in the future - unfortunately after that, we lost everything when our dodgy hosting company at the time packed up and we had to start the forum from scratch. He never made mention of the DrukQs incident, and acted pretty neutral towards me. He hasn't contacted me since.

so wait was that an advanced copy of drukqs he gave you? like before it was released?

Yeah, I had it months before it was released (2 CDrs) - some of the tracknames changed before the final release, but for the most part musically it was identical from what I recall at the time.

Yeah, there were a few f-bombs in the email - I don't have the account it was sent to back then anymore, but I do believe I have those emails archived on CD somewhere - I should try digging them out.

I thought the same thing at the time - I never intended "quite good" to be anything but a compliment (I'm not the type to gush over something with a bunch of superlatives - I think that's more offensive than simply saying you like something), but for whatever reason, he took it as an insult and made some comparison to as if he had called my first-born a subhuman piece of garbage (paraphrasing).

Oddly enough, a few years later he contacts me out of the blue when the whole "unreleased tracks" incident happened, and had even said I could release a few in full on the site since some of the others were due to be released in the future - unfortunately after that, we lost everything when our dodgy hosting company at the time packed up and we had to start the forum from scratch. He never made mention of the DrukQs incident, and acted pretty neutral towards me. He hasn't contacted me since.

I can't understand why you'd blow up at the delightful sight of an american trying for an english reserve in his manner of replying to you, it would be cute. But maybe he was going through a tough time around the release of drugqs. Or maybe it was the pinnacle of his fame so he'd morphed into an arrogant SoB after years of being able to rest his balls on the eager tongues of those he encountered around him. Who knows.

Certainly though you should not post the private correspondence, even after all this time. There's something sacred that would be getting sullied if you did. I know that you could argue that there is a historical value to preserving this. And you set the precedent of posting these types of things yesterday with your snares convo quote. Nevertheless whilst i don't have a problem with it sitting on that hard drive, i don't think that it's fair, yet, for this to march into the harsh light of an open forum.

hrmm.

My 2 satoshis.

i don't know, i mean i think in some areas, other works of his are superior. but all factors considered, i think drukqs is clearly his masterpiece.

i think saw II is the best atmospheric thing he's done, surfing on sine waves is the 'chillest' and also pretty moody in a more subtly creepy way, RDJ album i think is more simple and straightforward song-like compositions and the best at that, and rushup edge i think took some of the meticulous programming style in drukqs to a new level, and maybe has more power per square inch of punch. but drukqs is way more sprawling and ambitious with the piano pieces which were a brilliant concept just by itself (he didn't invent the idea of prepared piano but maybe he was the first to sequence one, or at least take it to that level), and must have taken a lot of planning and time to execute just for that half alone. tons of testing and tweaking bits that he jammed in the piano (even just having the idea and arranging to get one of those pianos to do it was work), refining the compositions while doing that, etc.

then the other half of the album, the more hectic programmed stuff is otherworldy and blew RDJ album out of the water as far as the manipulations of sounds goes. i bet he viewed that album as his masterpiece. it had to have been an insane task to make that, even compared to any of his previous stuff. maybe that's why he took offense, he expected you to acknowledge that it was his most ambitious, 'epic' work and you didn't, trying to play it cool.

still his reaction was kind of dickish, but maybe he was in a moody spot having wrapped up the production on what was his most important creation yet.

so wait was that an advanced copy of drukqs he gave you? like before it was released?

Yeah, I had it months before it was released (2 CDrs) - some of the tracknames changed before the final release, but for the most part musically it was identical from what I recall at the time.

Planning to put your kid through college with those CDrs?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

oh come on gerald, "quite good" is a terrible thing to say to someone who sent you an advance cdr of their new album. you still don't see that?

Archived