IGNORED

Joyrex + Aphex = Falling out?

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

oh come on gerald, "quite good" is a terrible thing to say to someone who sent you an advance cdr of their new album. you still don't see that?

Apparently in the states quite good would mean greater than good, but quite good in the UK means like average or something.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh come on gerald, "quite good" is a terrible thing to say to someone who sent you an advance cdr of their new album. you still don't see that?

Apparently in the states quite good would mean greater than good, but quite good in the UK means like average or something.

To a yanqui quite = very. Divided by a common language and such.

Most likely the AFX problem was not in a "quite good" commentary in itself, but how Joyrex was addressing him in general. If Joyrex is giving the whole conversation. It wasn't a response to something, it was coming out of the blue.

When somebody is writing me and can't handle a desire to passingly comment on something he wasn't asked for commenting in a slighly arrogant way (to not seem like a faggot, ironically), there is a respective desire to tell him to fuck off. Because you value your shit much more than a subject for easy going chat. Then you're coming to understanding that it was mostly a good intention.

so wait was that an advanced copy of drukqs he gave you? like before it was released?

Yeah, I had it months before it was released (2 CDrs) - some of the tracknames changed before the final release, but for the most part musically it was identical from what I recall at the time.

Planning to put your kid through college with those CDrs?

Considering he's halfway through, no not really! Plus who would buy CDrs?

Richard didn't send me the CDrs - one of my (at the time) WARP contacts did.

Most likely the AFX problem was not in a "quite good" commentary in itself, but how Joyrex was addressing him in general. If Joyrex is giving the whole conversation. It wasn't a response to something, it was coming out of the blue.

When somebody is writing me and can't handle a desire to passingly comment on something he wasn't asked for commenting in a slighly arrogant way (to not seem like a faggot, ironically), there is a respective desire to tell him to fuck off. Because you value your shit much more than a subject for easy going chat. Then you're coming to understanding that it was mostly a good intention.

Funnily enough, that is EXACTLY how it happened - Richard and I had been emailing back and forth on other (non-DrukQs) related things, and the CDrs arrived in the mail, so in the next email to Richard, I mentioned DrukQs and the "quite good" comment, and the rest is history.

Amen Lare is RDJ and I claim my 5 pounds! :emotawesomepm9:

so wait was that an advanced copy of drukqs he gave you? like before it was released?

Yeah, I had it months before it was released (2 CDrs) - some of the tracknames changed before the final release, but for the most part musically it was identical from what I recall at the time.

Planning to put your kid through college with those CDrs?

Considering he's halfway through, no not really! Plus who would buy CDrs?

Richard didn't send me the CDrs - one of my (at the time) WARP contacts did.

Funnily enough, that is EXACTLY how it happened - Richard and I had been emailing back and forth on other (non-DrukQs) related things, and the CDrs arrived in the mail, so in the next email to Richard, I mentioned DrukQs and the "quite good" comment, and the rest is history.

Amen Lare is RDJ and I claim my 5 pounds! :emotawesomepm9:

I'll buy them from you right now.

Actually, I reconsider. If they are from warp and not from RDJ then I'm not interested really.

a bunch of those cdr promos went out months early, a friend of mine ran a magazine and got them in early summer when the album released in fall sometime. I don't recall the audio being any different.

So he should have said that it was not bad instead of quite good, and all would be been fluffalicious.

For years in australia people would be annoyed that i said sorry all the time. I had to explain that i wasn't actually that sorry, it was just an ingrained multi-function expression. I think i've finally learnt not to use the term after 30+ years. heh.

a bunch of those cdr promos went out months early, a friend of mine ran a magazine and got them in early summer when the album released in fall sometime. I don't recall the audio being any different.

It's not - the tracknames were slightly different. I honestly can't recall if the track times were different or not. I should dig them out and do a rip and compare (I think I did this though when DrukQs was officially released and didn't find anything).

@Joyrex

Prolly this is what happened

article-2408583-1B92B6A3000005DC-806_634

Oh, holy shit LOL

British excel at sarcasm, sometimes it's vulgar and in your face, sometimes it's ever so subtle. The subtle version is witty and intelligent. The 'dry' version even more so.

I love people with a 'dry' sense of humor, always get on well with them. I detect it and deeply chuckle as everyone else either remains confused or insulted.

i call those people assholes.

sarcasm is a spice. you have to mix it up. if your whole personality is sarcasm, imo you come off like a complete dick. its a totally condescending attitude and usually it's not warranted (read- far from) in the people who have it

look at darlene from the roseanne show. one of the most disagreeable sitcom characters of all time. what a bitch. she thinks shes a total genius because she was unusual and into art or something. she's 'special'. who fucking cares. and thank god that her character type became a template for so many to follow (see what i did there? sarcasm). also look at jon stewart. any points he may ever have are going to be lost on me for the simple fact that every single thing he says has a sarcastic asshole tone of voice, and i just don't see his intelligence as being so much above everyone elses to warrant that. personally i view constant sarcasm as a lack of intelligence. you wouldn't need the constant condescension to remind everyone that you are all that, if you actually were.

and fuk a country of special little darlenes who say 'quite good' when they mean something sucks

language is meant to communicate actual ideas. whats so hard about saying what you actually mean once in a while instead of being some ironic condescending dick all the time? oh i guess then you'd have to actually come up with something of substance on your own. and that's a scarey thought isnt it

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

bollocks. Americans don't think "quite good" means "very good". And british people don't say "quite good" when they mean "shit". quite good only means quite good. good but not great. was alright. if you thought it was very good you would have said so. you only thought it was quite good. which is fine but says more about your social graces than anything. if you were at a show and went backstage - would you tell the artist that their performance was "quite good"? of course not. if you liked it you would enthuse somehow. if not you would find something good to say about it such as you loved their "energy" or light show (i dunno). quite good to someones faces is just not done, as its like saying yeah it was passable and no one wants to be told they are passable.

i think all of this just shows the inherent danger of trying to talk like a British person in any way shape or form simply by being an American fan of UK electronic music. It's been quite a while here since americans were throwing around the word 'mate' in a serious fashion, and for that I am very fucking glad.

Guest skibby

one would imagine that if a musician names a song after you, then you're allowed a few yellow cards before you get the red card.

i think all of this just shows the inherent danger of trying to talk like a British person in any way shape or form simply by being an American fan of UK electronic music. It's been quite a while here since americans were throwing around the word 'mate' in a serious fashion, and for that I am very fucking glad.

yes I can see how Americans saying mate might be a bit cringe worthy, a bit like British chap saying 'dude', heheh. It just doesn't work

Archived