IGNORED

Joyrex + Aphex = Falling out?

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

can we not get all watmm for just once?

i dont think anyone is seriously claiming to be better than aphex twin (dr hat excluded). and personally i dont have a musical bone in my body. my point was that given the same situation, there are OTHER people out there who could create equally interesting music. aphex twin does not have a monopoly on creativity or technical prowess.

alright, alright, you may now re-engage the watmm.

no, don't start the watmm yet/

I just want to say what he^^^ said, except for the fact that I have a couple music bones. That is all.

http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=23363

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^that sounds pretty good. Keep up the good work. But it badly needs some mastering work and re-equalization. The drum breaks hurt my ears a little.

^that sounds pretty good. Keep up the good work. But it badly needs some mastering work and re-equalization. The drum breaks hurt my ears a little.

yeah, I'm not too good at mastering yet. i put up that song for the composition and what not. The breaks shouldn't hurt your ears though... i played it on numerous systems before i came up with this version, and on none of them did the breaks hurt... interesting...

unfortunately, the board crashed right after that, and I don't think I have the PMs anymore stating which track I could and could not release. He had an account on here too, and for awhile I suspected someone having a bit of fun with me, but he mentioned some things that validated his identity...

doh, I always assumed you had some dumps of the old boards.

I do... but I think that one is when I didn't have a chance to get the backups before the hosting company went belly up... I'll have to look, as I have another request in to find old PMs for someone else...

is this really why or are you guys fucking with me? how the fuck can you take "quite good" as an insult?!

easy: look at this place and how much aphex twin worship goes on. it's kind of excessive.

now imagine BEING aphex twin, one of the world's most respected-by-people-with-brains musicians of the modern era and all of the flak you have to put up with being not quite a mega celebrity, but being the kind of guy countless people would want to be because this guy probably excudes some type of cool whilst taking a shit, at least in the minds of his legions of followers.

i remember reading an old interview where he said the concept of someone having a poster of him on their wall was a very sickening prospect indeed. not to mention, back on irc in the mid 90s i talked to a bunch of people in the electronicmusic world (bStates, aka brothomstates, was prolly the most well known one) but low and behold i met some guys who'd tell tales of when aphex used to come onto irc:

the deal was as follows: if you talked about his music, he'd curse you and never talk to you again. he absolutely loathed it as, speculation here, he gets tonnes of that in his day to day life and clearly one of the reasons this guy IS worshippable is that he loathes being worshipped. he's just a bloke you know?

however if you talked about getting drunk high and conquesting women, he was quite the engaging conversation with amazing stories to boot. and he used to sign his e-mails with a giant ascii A logo too, which i have archived somewhere.

so all of what i've read and heard about the guy fits in with joyrex' description, and while joyrex wasn't trying to jockride, the gut reaction by afx of "I DONT NEED YOU OR YOUR FUCKING MESSAGEBOARD" tells me that maybe he hoped j-rex would be his friend as opposed to a fan, and clearly a man with such talent is a bit odd around the edges and extreme all over the board (reportedly, squarepusher is a bit odd, like he'll hangout for 20 days str8 then you won't see him for six months) so he's got an itchy trigger finger when his defense mechanisms tell him that he's starting to enter the realm of ostentacious worship, even if it's just an innocuous comment really.

oh btw my theory on why aphex started buddying up is that he had hopes that maybe he could use joyrex' obvious web prowess to his advantage as you can file him under "can't be arsed" in terms of the making-a-webpage department, but that "i like your music" thing was the start of a slippery slope in his eyes, and really, who knows neuroticness happens with genius sometimes shrug

well, i dont completely disagree with felch. think about it for a second. take a guy with an insane collection of gear, a shitload of money and a shitload of time on his hands. he shotguns out a ton of tracks, both good and bad, takes the best of that lot and puts them out. combine that with a brilliant talent for social engineering and you have aphex twin.

on a level playing field, i'm not sure that he would be the "electronic music god" that he is now. I still think he's an amazing geezer but you have to take some things into account.

i know a few folks who, given the same scenario (time and gear), could easily turn out some serious shit on par with the best.

i dunno, maybe im just full of shit though.

I think you have a point here, but there's something you left out of the equation:

its not just

time + gear + musical talent + social engineering

its

time + gear + musical talent + social engineering + endless motivation

Having two months to do nothing but music only works if you have the drive to keep going at it every day. Thats harder than it sounds. From various interviews it's clear that RDJ _really_ loves making music and keeps at it most of the time.

(And that motivation keeps the whole enterprise sincere as well, without that the art would suffer somewhat)

Guest Caustic
Where the fuck did THAT come from?

Quite funny though. Richard's face, yelling AT the phone not in it...

that's how you properly yell at someone down the phone.

Guest Caustic
What's on Joyrex's shirt?

a poor depiction of a watmm shirt

I see, "BOC, an APhex logo, MAYBE the AE logo, and teh rest in unintelligible.

think of the subforums

think of the subforums

I was... but i dunno how to find a Vibert or Mike P there....

Guest Caustic

think of the subforums

I was... but i dunno how to find a Vibert or Mike P there....

I put the "Mu" the wrong way round.

I don't think vibert has a logo.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
well, i dont completely disagree with felch. think about it for a second. take a guy with an insane collection of gear, a shitload of money and a shitload of time on his hands. he shotguns out a ton of tracks, both good and bad, takes the best of that lot and puts them out. combine that with a brilliant talent for social engineering and you have aphex twin.

on a level playing field, i'm not sure that he would be the "electronic music god" that he is now. I still think he's an amazing geezer but you have to take some things into account.

i know a few folks who, given the same scenario (time and gear), could easily turn out some serious shit on par with the best.

i dunno, maybe im just full of shit though.

I think you have a point here, but there's something you left out of the equation:

its not just

time + gear + musical talent + social engineering

its

time + gear + musical talent + social engineering + endless motivation

Having two months to do nothing but music only works if you have the drive to keep going at it every day. Thats harder than it sounds. From various interviews it's clear that RDJ _really_ loves making music and keeps at it most of the time.

(And that motivation keeps the whole enterprise sincere as well, without that the art would suffer somewhat)

yeah, absolutely right.

a brilliant talent for social engineering? what the hell? are we talking about the same aphex? he's a total introverted geek who happens to make great music. .... social engineering? i hope you're not aiming at the ability to create hypes. cause this hysteria is purely innate to the niche were in: obsessive, geeky, over-sensitive, skinny whiteguys with a disordered relationship with their mother (and therefore women in general). that's not a difficult crowd to create some hype over some fake leaks and what have you not.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
a brilliant talent for social engineering? what the hell? are we talking about the same aphex? he's a total introverted geek who happens to make great music. .... social engineering? i hope you're not aiming at the ability to create hypes. cause this hysteria is purely innate to the niche were in: obsessive, geeky, over-sensitive, skinny whiteguys with a disordered relationship with their mother (and therefore women in general). that's not a difficult crowd to create some hype over some fake leaks and what have you not.

not the hype but all the bullshit stories that have become legend. making his own gear and such.

The amount of fabrication into the "history" of our beloved artists would astound you... some of these guys are really, really good at generating hype and mystery around themselves and their releases...

I mean, spilled orange juice on the masters? deleted the track the same day? CAAAAAMMAAAAAAAN.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
The amount of fabrication into the "history" of our beloved artists would astound you... some of these guys are really, really good at generating hype and mystery around themselves and their releases...

I mean, spilled orange juice on the masters? deleted the track the same day? CAAAAAMMAAAAAAAN.

exactly, which is just brilliant in my opinion. i find myself buying things simply because its aphex twin, instead of basing my decisions solely on musical merit. I find the myth more interesting than the music a majority of the time. hes turned it into something more than just a bloke with some electronic bits and bobs making strange sounds. hes created an interesting back story to go along with the music, which serves to further contextualize and shape what he releases. like i said, fucking brilliant.

Archived