IGNORED

Why AE is better than AFX

Guest Audiophile

Guest Audiophile

Don't get me wrong Richard was a huge influence on my electronic and overall musical explorations, but really, AE just seems to kick a lot more ass nowadays. Why? Here are some of my reasons (Im sure Id get nothing but D. James fanbois yelling at me on his subforum so i'll try it here :angry: )

1:INCONSISTENT RELEASES - We already have another AE album out that we all know isnt gonna be an EP sized compilation of stuff they had kicking around years ago. It will be studio quality without all the hijinx. It isnt going to be 20 limited edition vinyls. It isnt going to be a bunch of old remixes we could never afford to listen to. It isnt going to be 3 EPs thrown together for a cash grab. It isnt gonna be those 20 limited edition vinyls rereleased on CD with only a handful making appearances.

2:SLOWLY BORING ALIAS' - The Tuss? I dont give a shit how many people you try to fool, or how clever you can get saying ITS NOT ME, I SWEAR (chuckle). Give me a real Aphex release and I would be much happier. Its the music that counts but when you throw a bunch of trickery into it that distracts me from the music constantly asking yourself "I know this is that cocksucker but who can be entirely sure?", it takes from the composition as a whole.

3:PUSHING TECHNOLOGY CONSTANTLY - Yeah the analords were cool, going retro is always a viable reexamination of past qualities gone, but when it comes down to it I want the future, because thats always what we are moving towards. We can always go back to our fave classics and say "yeah, those are sweet synths." At the end of the day when something new comes alot, I want to HEAR something new.

4:LONG PLAYERS - I can ALWAYS rely on a AE album being quality, and actually album length. Id rather something longer than 38 minutes.

5:LAZINESS - AE are constantly pushing envelopes, breaking expectations and seem to work harder every release to expand what we consider 'music'. Yes AFX likes to make analords, and keep making analords, analords, analords. SWEET, ive heard your cool tweaked and home built synths plenty now. Yes, we know real reverberations are better than aritifical ones, move on.

Im sorry for all this but ive been meaning to get it off my chest for a while now. I like the tuss but haven't we heard this before? the analords were enough and i was hoping for something completely different, and then we got better produced analords. He just seems like a lazy cunt lately and takes alot of credit for crap thats not even that exciting (in my mind). AE are just so humble for what they accomplish it boggles my mind that some crap gets more praise than they will ever get. I just wanna say to Sean and Rob, the real philes are behind you all the way, and you will always get nothing but our humblest of following as well.

HOORAY FOR THE 9TH ALBUM! :ok:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i still think richard could squeeze more out of a bass drum, a couple of bass notes and a pad than autechre have produced, in their entire career (including amber, for the cynics) in terms of emotive quality.

sure 'techre are consistently clever and forward moving, but engaging?

diff'rent strokes i guess.

As much as I hold a lot of respect for Autechre, i have to disagree with you.

This thread will be filled with opinions, I can imagine mostly opinions agreeing with what you have just posted (thread should have been posted in the General Banter forum) as it would make for an interesting read I reckon

Guest Enter a new display name

I prefer Autechre than Aphex Twin but your arguments suck. Their music is not about their aliases or albums lenght.

I fully realize Autechre's greatness when listening to Various compilation albums. Especially All tomorrow's Parties 1, and WAP 100. I mean, both are full of good music, it is all original in its own respect. But then the Autechre track comes on and it is so far removed from the rest. It is by far the most original. I mean, if you told someone who had never listened to electronic music in there life, gave them ATP 1 and told them to identify the track that was the most unlike anything else, it would always be the Autechre. And yes, Autechre are the most consistent electronic act.

Also, I feel sorry for those of you who cannot understand the emotive qualities of Autechre's tracks.

Don't get me wrong Richard was a huge influence on my electronic and overall musical explorations, but really, AE just seems to kick a lot more ass nowadays. Why? Here are some of my reasons (Im sure Id get nothing but D. James fanbois yelling at me on his subforum so i'll try it here :angry: )

1:INCONSISTENT RELEASES - We already have another AE album out that we all know isnt gonna be an EP sized compilation of stuff they had kicking around years ago. It will be studio quality without all the hijinx. It isnt going to be 20 limited edition vinyls. It isnt going to be a bunch of old remixes we could never afford to listen to. It isnt going to be 3 EPs thrown together for a cash grab. It isnt gonna be those 20 limited edition vinyls rereleased on CD with only a handful making appearances.

2:SLOWLY BORING ALIAS' - The Tuss? I dont give a shit how many people you try to fool, or how clever you can get saying ITS NOT ME, I SWEAR (chuckle). Give me a real Aphex release and I would be much happier. Its the music that counts but when you throw a bunch of trickery into it that distracts me from the music constantly asking yourself "I know this is that cocksucker but who can be entirely sure?", it takes from the composition as a whole.

3:PUSHING TECHNOLOGY CONSTANTLY - Yeah the analords were cool, going retro is always a viable reexamination of past qualities gone, but when it comes down to it I want the future, because thats always what we are moving towards. We can always go back to our fave classics and say "yeah, those are sweet synths." At the end of the day when something new comes alot, I want to HEAR something new.

4:LONG PLAYERS - I can ALWAYS rely on a AE album being quality, and actually album length. Id rather something longer than 38 minutes.

5:LAZINESS - AE are constantly pushing envelopes, breaking expectations and seem to work harder every release to expand what we consider 'music'. Yes AFX likes to make analords, and keep making analords, analords, analords. SWEET, ive heard your cool tweaked and home built synths plenty now. Yes, we know real reverberations are better than aritifical ones, move on.

Im sorry for all this but ive been meaning to get it off my chest for a while now. I like the tuss but haven't we heard this before? the analords were enough and i was hoping for something completely different, and then we got better produced analords. He just seems like a lazy cunt lately and takes alot of credit for crap thats not even that exciting (in my mind). AE are just so humble for what they accomplish it boggles my mind that some crap gets more praise than they will ever get. I just wanna say to Sean and Rob, the real philes are behind you all the way, and you will always get nothing but our humblest of following as well.

fart

Guest hahathhat

fart

leakage

Also, I feel sorry for those of you who cannot understand the emotive qualities of Autechre's tracks.

word!

I also agree!

Guest Caustic

word!

I also agree!

y0!

in all seriousness... aphex was the one that got me into the whole absract electronic music tip (that's basically what i called electronic music before this term came around)... he helped cement my musical tastes back when i discovered him back in 93... some of you here might know the story how kraftwerk changed the way i listened to music way back in 81 when i was 9! so basically for those 12 years i meandered around new wave, industrial, hip hop, house, and techno... when i first heard "on" by aphex, i knew this was something worth checking out and by seeking him out i eventually made other discoveries... like the artificial intelligence cd... at the time, i thought the autechre tracks were amazing, but they didn't really catch my interest at the time... of course at this time, fsol, the orb, black dog, and plastikman were among my favorites with aphex at the helm... a few years gone by and i ate up everything aphex did... i then see the "second bad vilbel" video on amp with my wife... and we were both like "damn... this is some good shit!" (my wife at the time was really into dnb and harcore techno... she is basically a 180° now from those days)... but i still didn't get the tri repetae cd... about 2 years later, my wife buys a magazine (i think it was mix mag or one of those) that came with a compilation cd called nothing changes... i listen to it and i'm like "this is cool..." but then vose in by ae came on... this is the track that really really kicked started my interest in ae... THEN, i went to the record store and picked up tri rep (++), and give it a conscious listen... then i realized that all the tracks on tri rep++ was way better than second bad vilbel... i then tell all my friends that "AE is the shit!"... i then get LP5 and i'll be honest that it took me about a month to get used to... once i did, it made it much easier for me to get into the other releases...

i talked to a friend of mine that worked at a record store about ae... he tells me that he like their earlier works much more... i take his word and get amber... i liked it... but by this time i was really consumed and used to the more experimental side of ae that i wasn't quite impressed with amber (it's still good... it's just not the ae i prefer to listen to).

ep7 gets released about a year later and i get it upon it's release and i eat it up... at the time outpt was my favorite track on the cd and i blasted it everywhere (this is when my blasting of ae really started)... about a year later, ae performs at coachella... since then, they've been my favorites! every release since then i've gotten on the day of it's release... and quarastice will be no different!

yes ae is obscure to most ears... but i have no shame in letting everyone know that ae is my fav... whenever i'm asked by my nephews or co-workers "what do you listen to?" and instead of saying a genre or whatever... i just say "autechre"... ae's music is the only music i blast when i drive! and i love it even more when i'm at a red light... scaring the white girls, getting the WTF looks by the asians, blacks, latinos and wiggers in their lowered cars, or getting the nod by someone in the know (which has happened on more than one occasion)...

shit... this turned into a sini post!

Guest hahathhat

a guy i know would blast tinny high-end assault shit like the melvins and merzbow at ear-damaging levels whenever he pulled up at a light next to some homeboy with bass thumpin'

they never knew what the shit and got freaked out

he is now partly deaf

Incredible story, Asymmetrical Head! As an Ae massive fanboy, has the Gantz Graf music video changed your interpretation on their music?

i welcome your pity.

frankly, i need it as my emotional reaction to music is clearly not adequate.

poor me.

you know its funny when i FIRST heard AE i thought they were a cute Aphex twin copy cat act that made quality tracks, they started to take on their own sound in Tri repeate and Chiastic a lot more , then when they did Chiclisuite i got kind of ticked off because it sounded like Hangable autobulb/RDJ album stuttering mixed with AE, once again i felt like AE were riding Aphex twins coat tails, but i still liked it quite a lot. Then for a long time, Lp5 all the way until Draft i felt like AE had finally separated themselves completely from Aphex found their own sound, made their mark, invented a lot of their own techniques. Then when i heard Untilted was going back to hardwarei got kind of worried thinking they once again were influenced by Richards stripping down of equipment for Analord. Luckily the result was not an analord, which kind of relieved my fears. but now the new Gescom comes out and i have no choice but to think they are biting off Richard again, doing classic acid techo. Look i still love AE, but i love them when they are at their most artsy fartsy and experimental. And with the exception of Zoviet France, AE is probably my favorite musical act. lets cross our fingers that the new Gescom EP is not a hint of whats to come on the Quaristice release

Archived